Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerMo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I have realized that after I updated my mac yesterday to 10.7.2 which supported iCloud and its services, there appeared to be a (safari-only) guest account in my login window. After reading a few articles, it appears that this option is used so that it can attract thieves to go into the secure safari-only mode where they cannot access anything else, and connect to the internet so that when we use the 'Find My Mac' service on our iPhones or iCloud.com, we will have a higher possibility of tracking down our mac.

But the problem arises here, when i'm logged into my own account with iCloud enabled; find my mac enabled, I can login to iCloud.com and press the find my mac icon to easily track the location of my mac, send it a message or even remotely wipe the hard drive. But after I entered the safari-only guest account, it appears that when I login to iCloud.com to track my mac, my mac appears to be 'Offline', even after I made sure i was connected to the internet. This is very strange, since this feature should assist the thieves in connecting to the internet allowing users to have a higher possibility of tracking their mac. This happens if I login to another user account on my mac too. I have to enable the option in every user account for it to work.

Has anybody tried this? Any suggestions as to how I can activate the 'Find My Mac' service in the safari-only guest account are welcome.

dragondaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Lion 10.7.2: Guest Account Safari-only not a bug.

"This is not a full guest user account, if you select the Guest User option at login, the Mac will restart to a secured Safari-only version of the OS with access to the internet. So what’s the point of this? It turns out this is part of setting up iCloud in Mac OS X, specifically the “Find My Mac” feature. The Safari Guest User allows someone to get online so the Mac can be located, but prevents the Safari user from accessing your files and applications."

See more at the source on how to disable. I wouldn't recommend it.

justdeepuuu

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
"This is not a full guest user account, if you select the Guest User option at login, the Mac will restart to a secured Safari-only version of the OS with access to the internet. So what’s the point of this? It turns out this is part of setting up iCloud in Mac OS X, specifically the “Find My Mac” feature. The Safari Guest User allows someone to get online so the Mac can be located, but prevents the Safari user from accessing your files and applications."

See more at the source on how to disable. I wouldn't recommend it.

seriously??? did u read the whole thing the guy above posted??

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Has anybody tried this? Any suggestions as to how I can activate the 'Find My Mac' service in the safari-only guest account are welcome.

I believe this is because you are trying to use Find my Mac (FMM) from the same machine and it will not work like that.

I just did a couple tests and I think everything is working as it should. I have two machines, a Macbook Pro (MBP) and an iMac, both with iCloud/FMM turned on.

The MBP has two accounts. My account as admin and a standard acct for my wife. I turned on FMM in iCloud prefs for my acct and noticed as you did if I check prefs in the second acct it shows FMM greyed out and not checked as on, but it is on as you will see.

Here is how I tested.

MBP on under my admin acct > Shows up in FMM at iCloud.com on my iMac
MBP on under second standard acct > Refreshed FMM on iMac and it still shows up.
MBP rebooted into Safari only guest acct > Refreshed FMM on iMac and it again shows the MBP.

So to summarize, it appears everything is working as it should when checking FMM from a second machine. Looks like they have disabled FMM locate from the source machine. For example, it I go to FMM at iCloud.com from my iMac it does not show the location of the iMac.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I believe this is because you are trying to use Find my Mac (FMM) from the same machine and it will not work like that.

I just did a couple tests and I think everything is working as it should. I have two machines, a Macbook Pro (MBP) and an iMac, both with iCloud/FMM turned on.

The MBP has two accounts. My account as admin and a standard acct for my wife. I turned on FMM in iCloud prefs for my acct and noticed as you did if I check prefs in the second acct it shows FMM greyed out and not checked as on, but it is on as you will see.

Here is how I tested.

MBP on under second standard acct > Refreshed FMM on iMac and it still shows up.
MBP rebooted into Safari only guest acct > Refreshed FMM on iMac and it again shows the MBP.

So to summarize, it appears everything is working as it should when checking FMM from a second machine. Looks like they have disabled FMM locate from the source machine. For example, it I go to FMM at iCloud.com from my iMac it does not show the location of the iMac.

You can test find my Mac from the same machine you are having it find. You just need to make sure you log in iCloud System Preferences Panel and stay logged in. Do not log out of iCloud, you can safely close System Preferences still logged in.

Then go to the web site and have it find your Mac. You will be able to send a tone to it, wipe clean it, lock the system from the same machine. I've done it. You can even log out your user account and go to the guest Safari only account. It will find it, but I'm not sure if Safari in this mode will allow you to go to iCloud. I don't know, never tired it yet.

You have to remember when you log in iCloud Sys Pref Panel that you are on the Admin account.

Hugh

GerMo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I believe this is because you are trying to use Find my Mac (FMM) from the same machine and it will not work like that

Interestingly enough, I actually have 2 macs and tested it on my second mac. I entered safari-only guest account on my MBA and then logged into iCloud.com with my MBP, vice-versa. I'll definitely try again though.

Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it.

GerMo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009

Here is how I tested.

I was just wondering, are you sure that when you refreshed at iCloud.com, that the location of you MBP is a newly updated location? It is because it may appear as e.g. "last appeared 2 mins ago" here. That is because you previously located the mac in your account, but after that when you logged in and refreshed, it still tells you the last known location, but it is actually from a few minutes ago. That might be something you might not have noticed. I may be wrong.

GerMo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
This is getting very interesting, once again i've tried.

On my MBA,
Using i logged into my account with iCloud and FMM activated. Checked using another mac, and it is locatable.

Used second account using another iCloud username, with iCloud activated but FMM (greyed out). Checked using another mac, doesn't locate the MBA

Went into Guest (safari-only mode), checked with another mac, couldn't locate MBA.

This is so confusing. This might be my individual problem.

@Weaselboy May I ask, which mac do you use? Is it 2011 or 2010, because both my MBA is the 2010 version and my MBP as well.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can test find my Mac from the same machine you are having it find. You just need to make sure you log in iCloud System Preferences Panel and stay logged in. Do not log out of iCloud, you can safely close System Preferences still logged in.

Then go to the web site and have it find your Mac. You will be able to send a tone to it, wipe clean it, lock the system from the same machine. I've done it. You can even log out your user account and go to the guest Safari only account. It will find it, but I'm not sure if Safari in this mode will allow you to go to iCloud. I don't know, never tired it yet.

You have to remember when you log in iCloud Sys Pref Panel that you are on the Admin account.

Hugh

Nope. Just tried it again from my iMac. I am on an admin account and logged in to iCloud with FMM on. Same thing from my Macbook Pro... it cannot see itself on FMM at iCloud.com.

If I use the FMM iOS app on my iPhone or iPad it finds both the iMac and Macbook also. Macbook can find the iMac and vice versa.

----------

I was just wondering, are you sure that when you refreshed at iCloud.com, that the location of you MBP is a newly updated location? It is because it may appear as e.g. "last appeared 2 mins ago" here. That is because you previously located the mac in your account, but after that when you logged in and refreshed, it still tells you the last known location, but it is actually from a few minutes ago. That might be something you might not have noticed. I may be wrong.

Yep. I even clicked the refresh button twice to update locations and get the same results.

@Weaselboy May I ask, which mac do you use? Is it 2011 or 2010, because both my MBA is the 2010 version and my MBP as well.

I have a 2010 iMac and 2011 13" MBP. Both on 10.7.2 with Filevault 2 turned on. Using a Time Capsule in a standard config for my router.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Nope. Just tried it again from my iMac. I am on an admin account and logged in to iCloud with FMM on. Same thing from my Macbook Pro... it cannot see itself on FMM at iCloud.com.

If I use the FMM iOS app on my iPhone or iPad it finds both the iMac and Macbook also. Macbook can find the iMac and vice versa.

----------

Yep. I even clicked the refresh button twice to update locations and get the same results.

I have a 2010 iMac and 2011 13" MBP. Both on 10.7.2 with Filevault 2 turned on. Using a Time Capsule in a standard config for my router.

Well now it's being real strange, it finds my MacBook. When I try to send the tone to it or a message nothing happens. It was working before, too many people on it now?

Hugh

GerMo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Well now it's being real strange, it finds my MacBook. When I try to send the tone to it or a message nothing happens. It was working before, too many people on it now?

Hugh

Yea i agree, this is strange. It seems like everyone is experiencing different things. For example, (weasleboy) could't use FMM on the same mac, but i've tried with my MBP and that actually works. I logged onto iCloud.com, and I can see myself located. Still, I think there is a hidden problem in this system that needs to be worked at.

andrie

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
I'm also having some problems with Find My Mac when logged on using Guest User.

Here's what I have in my devices:
I have a Macbook Air 2011, running on OSX Lion 10.7.2 with Find My Mac enabled in the iCloud System Preferences.
I also have an iPhone 4, running iOS 5.0 with Find My iPhone enabled in the iCloud Settings.
Pretty much I have everything updated and should be working fine.

Here's what I have encountered:
For my iPhone 4, everything is working fine. I can always find it through the Find My iPhone app or the iCloud site. No problem in there.
It's my MBA which is having an issue being found, but only on certain scenario.
If logged in using my account, it can be found through the Find My iPhone app or the iCloud site. Again, no problem in there.
But when logged in through the Guest User option, the one with the Safari-only enabled, it cannot be found.
Yes, it is connected to a Wi-Fi, I can browse the internet with it.
And I am even using it to access the iCloud site to try to find it.
Only that no, it cannot be found through the Find My iPhone app or the iCloud site.

Essentially, what I am experiencing is the very opposite of what that Guest User option is intended for.

Any ideas that may help us out with this?

Thanks, guys!

GerMo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm also having some problems with Find My Mac when logged on using Guest User.

Here's what I have in my devices:
I have a Macbook Air 2011, running on OSX Lion 10.7.2 with Find My Mac enabled in the iCloud System Preferences.
I also have an iPhone 4, running iOS 5.0 with Find My iPhone enabled in the iCloud Settings.
Pretty much I have everything updated and should be working fine.

Here's what I have encountered:
For my iPhone 4, everything is working fine. I can always find it through the Find My iPhone app or the iCloud site. No problem in there.
It's my MBA which is having an issue being found, but only on certain scenario.
If logged in using my account, it can be found through the Find My iPhone app or the iCloud site. Again, no problem in there.
But when logged in through the Guest User option, the one with the Safari-only enabled, it cannot be found.
Yes, it is connected to a Wi-Fi, I can browse the internet with it.
And I am even using it to access the iCloud site to try to find it.
Only that no, it cannot be found through the Find My iPhone app or the iCloud site.

Essentially, what I am experiencing is the very opposite of what that Guest User option is intended for.

Any ideas that may help us out with this?

Thanks, guys!

That is exactly what my problem is too!
Have you found a solution for it yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.