PDA

View Full Version : I downloaded and used Mozilla and other programs, rebooted and now I can't see them?

key-lime
Oct 13, 2011, 11:39 PM
Bought my MacBook Air yesterday. Great piece of equipment! I am new to Apple so forgive me in advance. I downloaded things like Mozilla, MSN, and a bunch of different software, I rebooted the computer and now I cannot find them and they are not on my desktop. Is there a way to find them and also to make them icons on my desktop?

Sam2lucky13
Oct 13, 2011, 11:42 PM
you can go to finder/applications and drag applications to your dock to make a folder...you can also set up a hot corner for launch pad under system preferences. or just hit launchpad on your dock. and you can drag applications on to your dock you use most often

key-lime
Oct 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
For whatever reason I cannot find the icons and/or programs in the Finder. Where would they be?

Thanks!

kamuix
Oct 14, 2011, 12:01 AM
If you click your HD icon on your desktop it'll open a window. On the side you'll see applications. In there you'll see all your programs. When you run them, they will show up on your dock when active. To keep them there for easy access just right click on them and set keep on dock. Hope this helps.

key-lime
Oct 14, 2011, 02:14 AM
Your going to laugh your head off but what is the HD button and where is it? What does it look like. Sorry for the confusion.

TEG
Oct 14, 2011, 02:21 AM
Simply click on the blue "Happy Face" on the dock. That will either open to your home folder or your hard drive (depending on preferences). Regardless, you will likely need to open the Downloads folder in your home folder, and reopen the DMG files that contained your applications, then drag the files that appear to your Applications folder. If you already did that, then all you need to do is click on Applications in the windows that appears, and follow the previous directions to add the applications to your dock.

TEG

s2dio
Oct 14, 2011, 02:23 AM
Okay, I suggest doing it this way:

left-click on an empty space somewhere on your desktop.

In the menu bar at the top, click Go and select Applications.

Launch the application you want, and when it appears on the dock - right click its icon and select "Keep in dock"

That should do the trick.

orfeas0
Oct 14, 2011, 06:05 AM
Bought my MacBook Air yesterday. Great piece of equipment! I am new to Apple so forgive me in advance. I downloaded things like Mozilla, MSN, and a bunch of different software, I rebooted the computer and now I cannot find them and they are not on my desktop. Is there a way to find them and also to make them icons on my desktop?

My guess is you had those programs on your desktop as .dmg (image files) , which you opened then opened the .app programs from inside.
You should copy those .app programs to your application folder (or desktop, or wherever you want them), and then click to open them.
The installation process on macs is different than in windows. Usually you just download a .dmg file, open it, and you'll see a .app file inside (and maybe other things too). The actual application is the .app. You copy that to wherever you want it, and use it from there.