PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a Macbook Air with 64GB of storage

kvnkvnkvn
Oct 14, 2011, 12:50 AM
What is the point of having this model; why not start off with 128GB ? What is the purpose and logic of having this model instead of just starting off with the highend Macbook Air 11inch

Matthew Yohe
Oct 14, 2011, 12:51 AM
What is the point of having this model; why not start off with 128GB

So they can charge $999?

Hellhammer
Oct 14, 2011, 01:06 AM
Because not everyone needs the extra storage, or at least is not ready to pay $200 more for it.

bwhinnen
Oct 14, 2011, 01:17 AM
A friend of mine has the 11" i5/2/64 and loves it. He also has an i7 27" iMac to complement it. He only uses the 11" out on site when he is doing photography and does all the proper work on the iMac. He wanted to save the extra in order to spend on the iMac instead.

BlackViper
Oct 14, 2011, 01:18 AM
I needed a computer to run e-mail, spreadsheets, and the web. My 2010 base MBA does these perfectly; performance is not an issue so why pay more for no benefit?

rosemary1
Oct 14, 2011, 01:19 AM
I could easily get by with only 64GB; right now I'm only using about 28GB. The only reason I went up a level to the 128GB is because I got the 20% discount from Amazon.

Abazigal
Oct 14, 2011, 01:42 AM
Considering that all my work barely comes close to filling up my 4gb thumbdrive (which means I can just squeeze it into dropbox), 64gb would actually be a luxury for me. :D

bigeasy_uk
Oct 14, 2011, 03:35 AM
I get by with "just" 64GB fine. I only use it for web browsing and other basic stuff. I've got a 1.5TB network drive and 1TB on my server so I didn't need the extra storage. I always run monolingual after every install and get rid of all languages, except English and all code apart from x86 and x86 64, which slims down installs quite a bit.

GekkePrutser
Oct 14, 2011, 03:56 AM
Maybe because people buy them :)

If it was a bit cheaper I'd go for it as well.

Spacemarine
Oct 14, 2011, 04:48 AM
I also have the 64gb version and I'm perfectly satisfied. I have an 1TB external 2,5" hard drive in my backpack and connect it whenever I need my movies, photos etc. For all my movies, even 256 GB wouldn't be enough, that's why 64 GB is perfect for me.

Lotharseven
Oct 14, 2011, 05:15 AM
The issue for me is why not 4gb of ram standard? With the price of memory going down all the time and apparent cost savings of sandy bridge vs needing the 320 gpu, it seems possible they could do it at the same price point. I remember a story on MR before the Lion launch that stores were getting upgrade kits to bump the memory up to 4gb in machines that had 2. Apple must have felt the experience would be better/smoother with at least 4gb, and yet the Airs released at the Lion launch still had a model with 2gb of non-upgradeable ram. Why would they want to make/stock an oddball board with soldered ram when they could have standardized it? The prior year they had even more models with 2gb/4gb vesions of each one IIRC. Obviously the good sales speak for themselves, but as a consumer, I question it. As far as the SSD, at least you can upgrade it.

aery
Oct 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
I have the 64gb and as someone mentioned above, I am also using it to complement my iMac. So while I would welcome extra storage I really don't need it.

I do wish I had the 4gb ram though. Don't get me wrong, it's still amazingly fast (my first experience with SSD, yay!) but I want this Air to last me at least 3-4 years. I think I should be ok though as I only use it for web browsing, word processing, and possibly Keynote/PPT presentations.

NutsNGum
Oct 14, 2011, 07:32 AM
I think the question should be, why is there a MacBook in 2011 with 2GB of RAM?

Abazigal
Oct 14, 2011, 08:05 AM
I guess at that point, it boils down the profit. The entry level MBA 11' reportedly has the lowest profit margin (28%), and I suppose soldering in extra ram would squeeze that even further. Seems Apple really wanted to debut one version at the psychologically important price point of $999.

altecXP
Oct 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
I can BARELY get my stuff inside of 128GB. and I don't want to buy a laptop just to carry around other parts like a external HDD, or an optical drive, or a NIC connector to video connector. if i have to carry all that stuff it might as well be a full laptop.

glen e
Oct 14, 2011, 09:18 AM
Once again , the rumor audience completely fails to look thru other people's eyes and just issues proclamations as to how it should be according to them.

there are plenty of people that like the 999 price point, run a little word and excel and surf the web and the 2gb and 64 g work perfectly fine. I was one of them for over 18 months...

kvnkvnkvn
Oct 14, 2011, 09:21 AM
I was thinking of it as a replacement to the $999 Macbook; that's what had me thinking of the storage issue either you spend $200 extra for the pro or get a neutered 11inch model. But that 2GB of ram as others have mentioned is a good question but an even bigger question would be the base model of the mac pro which comes with 3GB of ram

fireworksdesign
Oct 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
the 64gb model is for travellers, or those who don't store their files in the ssd, or don't have much files.

before i switched to the max, i managed to use a 40gb hard drive last year, and it has a lot of my design files.

=)

LordVic
Oct 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
64gb is more than sufficient for a casual computing experience.

yes, you wont have space for your libraries of music and videos and other large media. But thats not the intention of this device.

For your casual user, Web, Email, facetime, chatting, your odd download or two. Heck, i even have World of Warcraft installed on it fine (with 20gb still to spare), it is more than sufficient.

my primary use of it is around the house. When i'm there, I don't need to carry my entire library of data with me (almost 1 tb). I have it all accessible on a NAS box with a PNP and itunes share. There's no need for it to be stored locally. And i recommend anyone who uses vast amoutns of media, to have a similar settup (backup, plus ability to use on any device in the house without worrying about ensuring everything is the same).

tis for US that the 64gb is around. if its not enough for you, that is why there's the 128gb model

blueroom
Oct 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
Storage in the cloud. You can DIY it too with a NAS (WebDAV)

snorkelman
Oct 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
I had 64GB base 2010 albeit BTO'd with 4GB RAM

ran:

Office for Mac

Firefox

VLC and some other utils

a few take a 5 min break style games (angry birds etc)

Eagle PCB layout software

Processing and Arduino IDEs

virtual box of XP hosting half a dozen of our main clients access control suites

big library of hardware manuals for all the kit we install/maintain on sites

Even used to stick a couple of movies and a few TV shows onto it if I was travelling

Was more than enough for the job.

In all XP included I doubt I ever scratched more than 40Gig or so into the 64Gig storage

Goratrix
Oct 14, 2011, 12:20 PM
I needed a computer to run e-mail, spreadsheets, and the web. My 2010 base MBA does these perfectly; performance is not an issue so why pay more for no benefit?

you could get all that in a $250 netbook. and no, "but OS X!" does not matter in this case, you don't even need a OS for those tasks.

Queen6
Oct 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
you could get all that in a $250 netbook. and no, "but OS X!" does not matter in this case, you don't even need a OS for those tasks.

Agreed, but it would suck :p

I will take OS X and Apple hardware any day, all the same I know what you point is.

aery
Oct 14, 2011, 12:49 PM

That's what I thought too. I have my iMac and wanted something really portable to use when I'm out of the house, at the library, or on the couch. Of course, I wanted the Air but didn't wanna shell out the money for it. I figured a cheap netbook would be fine but I had used a Windows laptop a few months ago after not having touched one in well over a year and I hated it. I really thought it wouldn't be a big deal but I guess you don't know what you got til it's gone. I'm just so used to the Mac OS and Apple hardware, trackpad, etc. that I can't go back! So I just picked up the base 2010 Air for those basic tasks, I love it! Trust me though, I wish I could handle going back to Windows because it's hard to keep up financially. :p

bniu
Oct 14, 2011, 01:58 PM
the 64GB MBA in my mind serves as an accessory to a 17 incher as well as a nice accessory for an iMac. It pretty much just needs the basics, as long as it runs Lion, that's all you really need it to do. You likely won't be running AutoCAD on it, you likely won't be running Xcode on it, nor hosting your entire iTunes library on it. I see it as a lightweight solution to take to class/meetings, take notes, maybe work on documents when on the go, and that's about it.

For a $999 accessory, the 64GB MBA seems like a fine solution.

zap2
Oct 15, 2011, 01:07 PM
I could use a 64GB as most of my media is in the cloud now. I'd have to get rid of the Windows install all on Air, but it'd be very do able. Spotify for music, Netflix/Hulu for video and Windows XP in Citrix XenApp none of which would take of the amount of space a standard local files would.

That said, I have a desktop as well and my Air would be largely for notes in class, writing papers and browsing the web along with streaming media.

kulimer
Oct 15, 2011, 02:37 PM
I agree with OP, the 64GB is a useless piece of junk if you really want to save anything. Then, again Apple has a lot of these things, like ipad.

kvnkvnkvn
Oct 15, 2011, 02:58 PM
I could use a 64GB as most of my media is in the cloud now. I'd have to get rid of the Windows install all on Air, but it'd be very do able. Spotify for music, Netflix/Hulu for video and Windows XP in Citrix XenApp none of which would take of the amount of space a standard local files would.

That said, I have a desktop as well and my Air would be largely for notes in class, writing papers and browsing the web along with streaming media.

I guess that could work for some but not for me since I travel alot to countries where internet is spotty or is at dial up speeds and using internet based apps is out of the question for me as I need everything with me.

3dflyboy1
Oct 15, 2011, 03:03 PM
I agree with OP, the 64GB is a useless piece of junk if you really want to save anything. Then, again Apple has a lot of these things, like ipad.

64GB is plenty of room for a lot of people. Similarly, the iPad has its own niche. Neither is a "useless piece of junk."

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 15, 2011, 03:10 PM
I could easily do 64GB.

I currently have the 256 model and 128gb of it is movies/video

And I guess I could technically have those stored on an external. The rest is pretty much 30gb of music/app that i sync to my iPhone

so if push came to shove, I could rock a 64gb air.

joe1946
Oct 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
I have 256GB on my i7 Air and 64GB on my iPod Touch 4G since I have many HD videos etc but I could see 64GB on the Air if you don't need to store videos etc. With iCloud and other online storage that helps also.

tom vilsack
Oct 15, 2011, 04:01 PM
for me 64 gig's would be overkill

my 2006 imac

Capacity 159.7 GB
Used 7.15 GB on disk (7,146,340,352 bytes)

i use my imac for web period...if i ever feel the need to own a ipod with tons of music and movies ect ill use the cloud...

Beanoir
Oct 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
What is the point of having this model; why not start off with 128GB ? What is the purpose and logic of having this model instead of just starting off with the highend Macbook Air 11inch

Why do not all cars have V8s in....stupid question

mrsir2009
Oct 15, 2011, 06:43 PM
For people that have another main computer (iMac, for example) so they don't have to store much on it.

BengalDuck
Oct 15, 2011, 07:25 PM
I want a MBA solely for its portability and convenience. I have no need for lots of memory.

feflower
Oct 15, 2011, 08:08 PM
All during my graduate school work in humanities I never came close to 64GBs.

As an academic laptop for the humanities it is more than enough.

I even argue that the iPad is about right for an undergraduate in humanities.

If you are an undergrad who insists on having a lot of movies and music...well then...

Stetrain
Oct 15, 2011, 09:03 PM
High performance flash memory is expensive. Apple wanted to hit the $999 price point. That's pretty much it.

kulimer
Oct 15, 2011, 10:29 PM
64GB is plenty of room for a lot of people. Similarly, the iPad has its own niche. Neither is a "useless piece of junk."

according to the people who has an ipad at the ipad forum, they are having a major buyer remorse. The intrinsic value of that thing really diminishes exponentially.

64GB is the size of an iphone, not a laptop, WAKE UP!!!

3dflyboy1
Oct 15, 2011, 11:13 PM
according to the people who has an ipad at the ipad forum, they are having a major buyer remorse. The intrinsic value of that thing really diminishes exponentially.

Umm...no?

The fact that apple is selling a laptop with 64GB disagrees with you. And it's selling quite well, for that matter.

Disregarding the iPhone, (this is the mba forum, after all) the baseline 64GB configuration is more than enough, as most people who have posted here have said.

alflavor
Oct 16, 2011, 03:44 AM
For people that have another main computer (iMac, for example) so they don't have to store much on it.

And for that reason exactly, is why I have a 64gb MBA, the OP is entitled to his opinion, I guess, but is wrong.

Abazigal
Oct 16, 2011, 04:08 AM

Who are these people? I have been checking out the place for so long now but have yet to see anything of the sort. :confused:

Plus, even if that was the case, people experience buyer's remorse for all sorts of purchases, not just ipads. I am not exactly sure what you are trying to imply here.

And the point is exactly that - there are people like me who would be comfortable with a laptop having only 64gb of storage space, because while I use computers a lot, most of my files are small XX kb or mb ones. :)

Usual
Oct 16, 2011, 04:12 AM
Having another choice is important. 64 GB is enough to have the operation system, office programs. This is important for a person, like me, to do all tasks needed for a business.

However, in order not to be so "tight" I choose 128 gb.

mickbab
Oct 16, 2011, 04:18 AM
Why is there a Macbook Air with 64GB of storage?

Perhaps for people that only need 64GB or less storage space on their computer? I think it's a fairly obvious answer. :confused:

Nychot
Oct 16, 2011, 08:48 AM
The ipad2 is far better than the base mba. I picked up a base 2010 mba at bb a few months ago that still wonderfully had snow leopard on it. It had never even been registered, had been brought back three days after the buyer had bought it for whatever reason but i returned on the last day if the 14 day bb return policy. Why? The keyboard had absolutely NO tactile feel and was mushy. The case creaked, it seemed SO delicate, and i found myself looking at it like it was a litte jewel but was using my ipad all of the time and not touching the mba. I use a mac mini with apple bt kb and touchpad as my main desktop so the ipad rather than the mba is a better partner imo. And the base mbp is a much better deal and a far superior machine than the mba. Its a kids computer. By kid i mean backpack hs and college students. And i would assume they are the majority of mba buyers and members of the forum.

glen e
Oct 16, 2011, 10:44 AM
. And i would assume they are the majority of mba buyers and members of the forum.

You would assume wrong. I am 61 years old, a MBA forms the backbone of my home system coupled with a outboard 500g drive and 27 in monitor. I use the ipad for giving 120 slide size keynote presentations but I write them on the MBA.

Once again, another individual looking thru his own eyes and pronouncing judgement on everyone else. Total crap.

Matthew9559
Oct 16, 2011, 08:00 PM
As others said, it would be hard to keep that price down at $999. Take a look at the Windows counterparts that are just now starting to see the light of day. You will not find a 128 GB SSD @ $999.

I could live on a 64 GB SSD, I keep all my music/photos/movies/tv shows on my desktop windows 7 PC.

It all depends on your situation! You could keep an external HDD too with all of your content. I have less than 1 GB of documents, that's for sure, and that's all I want on me 24/7.

marsmissions
Oct 16, 2011, 08:55 PM
As a photographer, I do not see a huge use for 64gb of space, but as a blogger, small time web designer, and adamant web surfer I can see the value when packed into a small space.

The 11 inch screen is adequate for web surfing, portability, and creation of most web content. I could easily take an air with me wherever I go knowing that it will fit in almost any bag I am likely to carry. 64GB is enough for this use.

I would use an air for taking notes in class, blogging, light photoshop and maybe a few games. 64gb is more than enough for this.

Would I be able to store my large photo library on it? No. Would I want to do heavy photo editing on an 11 inch screen? Hell no. That is what big brother iMac is for.

Nychot
Oct 16, 2011, 11:05 PM
So you are one senior who uses the mba and i'm sure there are untold numbers of other geezers BUT not the majority i'm sure.

You would assume wrong. I am 61 years old, a MBA forms the backbone of my home system coupled with a outboard 500g drive and 27 in monitor. I use the ipad for giving 120 slide size keynote presentations but I write them on the MBA.

Once again, another individual looking thru his own eyes and pronouncing judgement on everyone else. Total crap.

zap2
Oct 16, 2011, 11:17 PM
I guess that could work for some but not for me since I travel alot to countries where internet is spotty or is at dial up speeds and using internet based apps is out of the question for me as I need everything with me.

That's reasonable, I'm just on a board for Apple putting out many different specced computers so they can fit more users needs both spec wise and price wise.

I'd love to see a 512GB MBA at one point in the near future.

TheJing
Oct 17, 2011, 06:05 AM
The answer to your question is pretty obvious.

There is a 64GB MBA because people won't use it as their primary machine and won't store everything on it.

A better question is: Why is there a MBA with only 2GB of RAM?

tardman91
Oct 17, 2011, 08:28 AM
I just ordered one for my wife yesterday. I was tossing around the 128 vs 64 thing in my head for a while, but ultimately decided on the 64. For one, my wife's music library is only about 1 gig, and she deletes songs once she gets tired of listening to them. She also doesn't have a lot of photos she's going to store on there. She mainly uses it for web and email and school work. We went with the 11" air over the pro because she plans on toting it back and forth to her graduate classes. And the $999 price point is sweet. Especially getting if for $950 on Amazon with no sales tax and overnight shipping!

wrinkster22
Oct 17, 2011, 08:41 AM

my neighbour has business trips several times a month. He has a powerful computer at his main office but when he is on the go he does not need that much. He has no photos, no music, no videos/tv shows.
Believe me 64gb can hold a lot of spreadsheets

Retops
Oct 17, 2011, 05:06 PM
I use my MBA version 1 (80gb) for all my college teaching, charity board work, and personal finance. I have about 10 gb of music, but no movies, games, etc. I do have all my powerpoints for the last 12 years, all my class notes and grades, lots of spreadsheets, folder after folder of PDFs, and I am no where near filling the hard drive. If I bought a new machine today, I'd probably get the bigger drive just for yucks, but I could easily fit everything into a 64gb.

kulimer
Oct 17, 2011, 07:08 PM
Umm...no?

The fact that apple is selling a laptop with 64GB disagrees with you. And it's selling quite well, for that matter.

Disregarding the iPhone, (this is the mba forum, after all) the baseline 64GB configuration is more than enough, as most people who have posted here have said.

People use up 64GB on their iphones for music and apps.

You really aren't USING or INSTALLING anything on your laptop if you have 64GB. You are constantly fighting for hard drive space between your software and your music in itunes.

Unless you want to carry an extra external hard drive.

glen e
Oct 17, 2011, 07:14 PM

You really aren't USING or INSTALLING anything on your laptop if you have 64GB. You are constantly fighting for hard drive space between your software and your music in itunes.

Many of us don't see the need to carry 3000 tunes or 12 movies around with us...64 works fine for business data....

snorkelman
Oct 17, 2011, 07:46 PM

Sorry here's me thinking it was a laptop, not a portable entertainment system :rolleyes:

for business use it can be more than sufficient I had no issues on the 64GB 2010, still eating up less than 40GB on the 2011 128GB base 13.

That's with ALL the apps I use at work installed

and all the end user and tech manuals for the kit we install and service

and iso images of all the software we admin at clients sites

and full installed set of the access control suites our clients are using

the only thing not on the MBA is the actual site data/locking plans for those sites, and that's due to security considerations not lack of space.

movies and music is a bottomless pit, depending on size of individual collection you could argue no MBA is sufficient. Hell if I wanted to carry copies of every movie and album I own I'd be into terrabytes of storage, more than any laptop could cope with never mind an MBA.

zap2
Oct 18, 2011, 12:42 AM

Bold claim, don't try to define what everyone does with their computer. I have a 128GB SSD, but I have 50GB free and I could easily clearly enough space to use the 64GB by deleted my Spotify cache(and then just stream all my music)

But it's nice not to have to worry about space as much.

LordVic
Oct 18, 2011, 08:52 AM

But I already carry around my 20gigs of music.

in my ipod.

so why do i have to have it on my laptops hard drive as well? if i'm travelling somewhere and want music, i'm not pulling out my laptop just to listen to music. Thats what the ipod is for (or other assorted cheap PMP).

and as i said. at home, NAS box holds the media. i dont need it stored locally. I'm on the 64gb drive and i have 40gb free still! (with WoW installed). if i wanted to carry around my entire media collection thats on my networked storage, i'd need nearly a terrabyte hard drive on a laptop, and no macbook air would meet these needs

it's a laptop. not a portable entertainment centre.

Phil A.
Oct 18, 2011, 08:56 AM
I'm on the 64gb drive and i have 40gb free still! (with WoW installed). if i wanted to carry around my entire media collection thats on my networked storage, i'd need nearly a terrabyte hard drive on a laptop, and no macbook air would meet these needs

it's a laptop. not a portable entertainment centre.

Exactly - I've got a 64GB MBA and it's plenty of space for me: It's a secondary machine to my iMac and only stores documents I'm working on at the time when I'm away from my machine

jamesryanbell
Oct 18, 2011, 10:02 AM
what is the point of having this model; why not start off with 128gb ? What is the purpose and logic of having this model instead of just starting off with the highend macbook air 11inch

price.