PDA

View Full Version : Logo Design needed!

evoluzione
May 7, 2005, 06:44 PM
maybe someone here can help me out...i'm thinking i need a logo for my new business.

i don't have much money but i'm willing to pay a few bucks if i get results...or, maybe put a link to your site on mine or something. anyway, i've registered thee domain MacLessons (http://www.maclessons.com) and have done a quick three page site which will suffice for now. i would love to get a quality logo to design a site around, and to print on business cards, and mousepads for clients etc.

anyone have any ideas? willing to help me out (in return for something) ?

thanks very much!

Blue Velvet
May 7, 2005, 06:55 PM
A tip: choose a logo that will work in just solid black on white before worrying about colour or gradients within the artwork.

Ideally, the logo should be reproducible and clear at small sizes on a variety of different media from print, web and other surfaces.

See what it's like reversed out from a dark background, try it in different positions on stationery, avoid something that's too wide or long... think about all its possible uses before committing yourself to one design. It's not something which you'll want to change in a hurry.

evoluzione
May 7, 2005, 07:00 PM
cheers for that one, i kinda knew that already though, maybe should have mentioned it.

i've been in pre-press for years, (oh, thanks to you i found that pre-press forums, great site!) so i realise the importance of keeping it simple...i'm simply using the lucida grande typeface (to match Apple) at the moment. but i need something a little more distinguished shall we say.

i was thinking something close to the whole Apple corporate identity, but then i was thinking how about something organic, not too dissimilar from Adobe's CS logos these days. i live in (the legendary) Woodstock and there's a bunch of writers etc up here, something "earthy, organic, natural" etc could be nice, and (think) different

Blue Velvet
May 7, 2005, 07:05 PM
How about a hand reaching up to take an apple from a branch?
Done simply...

evoluzione
May 7, 2005, 07:07 PM
How about a hand reaching up to take an apple from a branch?
Done simply...

hmm...could be interesting....simple enough though d'ya think?

Blue Velvet
May 7, 2005, 07:22 PM
hmm...could be interesting....simple enough though d'ya think?

Just an idea...

It was just the organic idea with the Apple association and also with the education thing. After all, don't you usually bring an apple to teacher? :)

Anyway, I'm sure others will come to you with ideas. I'd offer to throw a few ideas together myself for you but I'm deep in other stuff at the mo for work.

Good luck!

Cooknn
May 7, 2005, 07:32 PM
You can get good logo's for cheap at www.gotlogos.com (http://www.gotlogos.com)

dvdh
May 7, 2005, 08:28 PM
This is kind of an aside, but if you want to match apples font, you should probably use Myriad instead of Lucida Grande. They seem to have 'Switched' . . .

evoluzione
May 8, 2005, 05:23 PM
thanks for those two tips...gotlogos i'll maybe try, they kinda look like very similar styles in their gallery

on the myriad font, well, that's the one by the looks of it :) thanks

eva01
May 8, 2005, 05:59 PM
hmm here's an idea that popped into my head

maybe two hands cuped together with the apple logo in it, possibly an outline apple logo

i do not know if a company already has a logo of this.

evoluzione
May 9, 2005, 08:00 AM
eva01 ... thanks. i like that, suggests to me that you'll have support with your apple [computer].

i've been thinking about the apple picked from a tree thing, then got thinking about a simple apple drawing on a chalkboard, something along those lines. seeing as it's Mac Lessons, gives it a learning theme perhaps.

anyone have any more ideas? or even feel like drawing something up?

mnstr_trd_sd
May 11, 2005, 01:56 AM
hmm here's an idea that popped into my head

maybe two hands cuped together with the apple logo in it, possibly an outline apple logo

i do not know if a company already has a logo of this.

yes, numerous, one i could think of off hand is allstate insurance. i believe their moto i "you're in good hands with allstate". it is a classic idea though. :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis
May 11, 2005, 02:01 AM
i like the chalkboard idea, you could use the apple logo as a base, and make it seem drawn in chalk with some erasure marks and all, could easily be one color - white or black

ham_man
May 11, 2005, 02:24 AM
Those are some good ideas guys. I am behind the Apple on the chalkboard idea. Just have 5 lines or so and a black apple laid over them, with a piece of chalk added in or something. Other than that, I cannot think of anything too stellar...

Mr. Anderson
May 11, 2005, 07:47 AM
Do you want something similar to the Apple logo or your own version....I don't know if there you're going to need to worry about trademark infringement, I've seen plenty of logos that come close to Apples....

D

mnstr_trd_sd
May 11, 2005, 12:21 PM
i could probably design one for you, i really like the apple drawn in chalk or even the classic apple on the teachers desk( with a ruler or a pencil or something).

one thing you really need to keep in mind is copyright infringment, apple is a real shark when it comes to that, especially if you're going to use this logo for
a money making venture.

the other catch is that i will be able to maintain the right to use the logo in my personal porfolio, if you use it that is. i would also need some info from you as i would use it on my resume. if you want to see some samples of other logos ive done please email.

if you agree will the terms, i'll treat you professionally as i do this kind of stuff for a living...isn't it great :D

slipper
May 12, 2005, 02:20 AM
*sigh* i wish i didnt install Tiger so soon. Photoshop has been acting a little weird after the install. Im to lazy right now to recreate the logos i made.

Cleopatra
Jun 7, 2005, 02:42 PM
Some ideas I made in a hurry with Illustrator:

evoluzione
Jun 23, 2005, 08:05 PM
thanks for all the replies everyone.

and the offers...

mnstr_trd_sd - i'm fine with those "terms" but how much would you charge, if anything??

ok, so i've had a couple of people throw some ideas and designs at me, none of which i'm like "Yes! that's it!" about. don't think i mentioned it in this thread beofre, but i live in Woodstock, and there's a lot of laid back people here (shocking huh?), and there's a lot of people that care too, about the environment and that buy decent local organic produce and that sort of thing (as do i) so something kinda fluid and organic for a logo would be cool. also, orange is my favourite colour, so that would be nice to work into it all (but still live up to a black and white ad). to give you an idea, a couple of my fave logos right now are the Cingular splat guy thing and a logo for my buddies site moosedesign, borh of which i've included below.....

evoluzione
Jun 23, 2005, 08:06 PM
Some ideas I made in a hurry with Illustrator:

i quite like the last one actually...maybe with an orange background?

cgratti
Jun 23, 2005, 09:30 PM
Threw this together for you.

eXan
Jun 23, 2005, 10:52 PM
Maybe a photo of theacher's table with green apple on it? Maybe make a chalkboard also visible in the scene?

evoluzione
Jun 23, 2005, 11:23 PM
Threw this together for you.

not really what i'm looking, but thank you anyway :)

Maybe a photo of theacher's table with green apple on it? Maybe make a chalkboard also visible in the scene?

maybe too complicated i think, but yeah, it's a great concept, difficult to get it to what i want though me thinks

evoluzione
Jun 24, 2005, 11:17 AM
so i've come up with something myself, after all...

i had some temporary business cards which i cut the corners off, so they were rounded, and i liked it..got me thinking about a few things...

the logo below is a first attempt, you have the orange which is good for me personally, the chalkboard style also, and it has the rounded corners that would translate well to a card. it also is the shape of the Mac Mini and the font is recognisable also as the one Apple itself uses. anyone want to critique this for me?? i can take it, don't hold back if you think it sucks! my girlfriend thinks it may look a little too similar to the GeekSquad logo, but is that neccessarily a bad thing? i'm thinking maybe not. so, what do you all think??

eXan
Jun 24, 2005, 05:55 PM
so i've come up with something myself, after all...

i had some temporary business cards which i cut the corners off, so they were rounded, and i liked it..got me thinking about a few things...

the logo below is a first attempt, you have the orange which is good for me personally, the chalkboard style also, and it has the rounded corners that would translate well to a card. it also is the shape of the Mac Mini and the font is recognisable also as the one Apple itself uses. anyone want to critique this for me?? i can take it, don't hold back if you think it sucks! my girlfriend thinks it may look a little too similar to the GeekSquad logo, but is that neccessarily a bad thing? i'm thinking maybe not. so, what do you all think??

Not bad! :) But one thing though: I think that Apple logo shouldnt overlap with "Mac". Maybe move it a little bit? or scale down? What do you think?

Oh **** I like it!! :D I wouldnt mind having a mousepad with this logo ;)

evoluzione
Jun 24, 2005, 06:06 PM
Not bad! :) But one thing though: I think that Apple logo shouldnt overlap with "Mac". Maybe move it a little bit? or scale down? What do you think?

Oh **** I like it!! :D I wouldnt mind having a mousepad with this logo ;)

thanks for that... i have wondered about the apple logo myself, i have it at the present size as it's to scale with the logo on the Mac Mini. and i kinda like the way it cuts into the "a", i'll try it smaller though.

oh, and i am going to be making some mousepads for my clients, another reason i want a decent logo!

vladivostok eh? does the trans-siberian express still run there???

eXan
Jun 24, 2005, 06:14 PM
vladivostok eh? does the trans-siberian express still run there???

Maybe... I don't know... Never went by train very far (only to the suburbs)
Why ask?

evoluzione
Jun 24, 2005, 06:19 PM
Maybe... I don't know... Never went by train very far (only to the suburbs)
Why ask?

just curious, no real reason.

i tried the logo smaller, and didn't much like it, even same size but lower...

eXan
Jun 24, 2005, 06:24 PM
just curious, no real reason.

Have you been here?

evoluzione
Jun 24, 2005, 06:34 PM
Have you been here?

no, i just remember doing a school project on the railway or something, when i was about 8 or 9 :)

anyway, anyone know if it's ok for me to use the apple logo like this??

evilernie
Jun 24, 2005, 06:42 PM
Something to keep in mind. Apple's logo is trademarked and they may not like you incorporating it into your own logo. Also I think your girlfriend has a point. It looks remarkably similar to the Geek Squad logo. Not to say it doesn't look nice, I think it's very nice work. :)

evoluzione
Jun 24, 2005, 06:50 PM
Something to keep in mind. Apple's logo is trademarked and they may not like you incorporating it into your own logo. Also I think your girlfriend has a point. It looks remarkably similar to the Geek Squad logo. Not to say it doesn't look nice, I think it's very nice work. :)

re: geeksquad similarity... is this a bad thing though? i mean, i'm offering pretty much a Mac version of what they offer for PCs, so maybe i can catch some clients that way?
oh, and thanks :)

jsalzer
Jun 24, 2005, 07:13 PM
Hey, Boys - I was gonna play and try to throw something together, but I really like the orange and chalkboard logo. I doubt I could top that (except by accident!)

Three things:

1. I really kinda think (with no practical law knowledge to back myself up) that you can't use the Apple logo *within* your logo. I definitely wouldn't do it without something in writing from Apple Legal saying you can.

2. Afraid of the Geek Squad similarities? Why not adjust the shade of orange a little? There are "yummy"er oranges out there.

3. On the "Mac" part - can you maybe reduce the opacity on the shadow? Feels more like it's making the "Mac" thick, rather than acting as a shadow.

Other than that, though, wonderful, wonderful job! I would definitely love to spend time at a site built around that look!

Geez - I almost want to get you to throw one together along the same lines for my site (some basic continuing education resources for teachers.)

:)

eXan
Jun 24, 2005, 07:16 PM
re: geeksquad similarity... is this a bad thing though? i mean, i'm offering pretty much a Mac version of what they offer for PCs, so maybe i can catch some clients that way?
oh, and thanks :)

The only similarity between this "geeksquad" and your logo are quite unnoticable. Even the form is different.

If you want to know what Apple thinks about their logo used by other companies, ask Apple :)

evoluzione
Jun 24, 2005, 07:22 PM
Hey, Boys - I was gonna play and try to throw something together, but I really like the orange and chalkboard logo. I doubt I could top that (except by accident!)

Three things:

1. I really kinda think (with no practical law knowledge to back myself up) that you can't use the Apple logo *within* your logo. I definitely wouldn't do it without something in writing from Apple Legal saying you can.

2. Afraid of the Geek Squad similarities? Why not adjust the shade of orange a little? There are "yummy"er oranges out there.

3. On the "Mac" part - can you maybe reduce the opacity on the shadow? Feels more like it's making the "Mac" thick, rather than acting as a shadow.

Other than that, though, wonderful, wonderful job! I would definitely love to spend time at a site built around that look!

Geez - I almost want to get you to throw one together along the same lines for my site (some basic continuing education resources for teachers.)

:D thanks

re: the orange...it's better on the full size image, if you click the thumbnail to view...the thumbnail orange is not right for some reason. what would you suggest for a yummier orange?? (and don't say chocolate! ;) )

i'll try it with a lighter shadow as well, i see your point.

and i appreciate the comments!

eXan ... good to know, cheers!

evoluzione
Jun 24, 2005, 07:37 PM
well, according to this page (http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html) i can't really use the apple logo, nor can i use a picture of an apple! even the name MacLessons is debatable :confused:

Cleopatra
Jun 24, 2005, 07:51 PM

I have to agree with eXan, further more I would not have had so dark shadow under the word Mac. And I would not have the white stoke between orange and black. And I would have the apple logo all white. By the way did I mention that it looks ok :D

jsalzer
Jun 24, 2005, 07:51 PM
You'd have to be OK on MacLessons.

I mean, there's:

MacAcademy
MacAddict
MacWorld
MacZone

and, I'm sure, a few hundred others.

Your business does nothing but help Apple sell more software. I can't imagine they'd talk at the name. (Though they'd balk at the use of their logo or any implication that they support your business.)

BTW - I don't actually have a yummier orange - I was just trying to be encouraging. I figured you'd find another orange you were happy with if the similarity really bothered you. ;)

Cleopatra
Jun 24, 2005, 08:08 PM
But still I like logos to be simpler.

evoluzione
Jun 24, 2005, 08:19 PM
But still I like logos to be simpler.

text #2 and graphic #4 would be a good combo i think

Stampyhead
Jun 24, 2005, 08:19 PM
well, according to this page (http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html) i can't really use the apple logo, nor can i use a picture of an apple! even the name MacLessons is debatable :confused:
Yeah, using the Apple logo might get you in trouble, but from reading that document it seems like you would be ok using the word "Mac" in your name. Since are not directly competing with Apple, but are working within what they do, I think you would be ok. I'm not a lawer or anything, though, that's just my take on what Apple says.
I wonder how they can stop you from using a picture of an Apple? Very strange...

Mac_Freak
Jun 24, 2005, 08:29 PM
Here is little spin off of Apple's iPod Mini top profile and moded finder icon :D

eXan
Jun 24, 2005, 09:03 PM
You'd have to be OK on MacLessons.

I mean, there's:

MacAcademy
MacAddict
MacWorld
MacZone

-MacRumors :D ;)

jsalzer
Jun 24, 2005, 09:06 PM
-MacRumors :D ;)

Eh - nobody respectable patronizes them. ;)

ChrisWB
Jun 25, 2005, 07:59 PM
Going with the simple chalkboard idea: http://test.indiatonic.com/maclessons/maclessons.jpg

Of course, you could make it more professional than that. I was just toying around.

20rogersc
Jun 28, 2005, 07:12 AM
Personally I like Mac Freaks version of the finder icon, I think it suits what you are looking for. However there is the issue of copyright with Apple, and I don't know whether this violates their regulations.

If this is a problem, I think that the chalk board is a good idea, and I am going to play around on photoshop as I do like this suggestion.

::20ROGERSC::

20rogersc
Jun 28, 2005, 09:56 AM
Right I've played around in Photoshop, and this is what I have come up with. I know it includes the apple logo, but I felt as if there was something missing if I just left the lettering.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/20rogersc/MacLessons.jpg
Any feedback is welcome.

evoluzione
Jun 28, 2005, 10:08 AM
love the apple logo (unfortunately), i think the writing is too "kiddy" though, but overall, yeah i like that, gives me something to ponder...cheers :)

ChrisWB ... i like it

Josh
Jun 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
Here is a simple one I did real quick:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/newfoundglory72/maclessonslogo.gif

20rogersc
Jun 28, 2005, 11:17 AM
love the apple logo (unfortunately), i think the writing is too "kiddy" though, but overall, yeah i like that, gives me something to ponder...cheers :)

ChrisWB ... i like it

Thanks a lot. What font do you think the text should be in?? Anyone else have any other ideas?

:20ROGERSC::

Moxiemike
Jun 28, 2005, 12:42 PM
something iconic and adapatable. say you decide to do "MacLesson" books and ebooks, this logo has a bit of flexibility on its side, as it's producable in two color and very iconic. classy.

also fits into a very non-techie theme, which i think is important--make it accesible for the general populus, and you're golden. erego, we have a logo that speaks to a very iconic image, the old one room schoolhouse, and harkens back to a place where alot of us in the workforce wish we were--young kids in grade school, running free, when learning was (for the most part) fun. That lessens the "painfulness" often associated with tech learning and gives it a degree of youthful energy and fun. This should speak, with a nice corporate package, to any range of professionals looking for good, solid, effective, and knowledgable macintosh platform lessons, while also giving it a fun appeal to promote to employees who are going to be receiving the training.

Anyway. I ramble,
m

Josh
Jun 28, 2005, 12:45 PM
^^ That logo is amazing.

Brilliant job!

Moxiemike
Jun 28, 2005, 12:46 PM
^^ That logo is amazing.

Brilliant job!

and i drew it all by myself.

m

20rogersc
Jun 28, 2005, 01:15 PM
Very nice.

Best one yet, and it beats mine for sure!!

:20ROGERSC::

PixelFactory
Jun 28, 2005, 02:04 PM
Here are is a quick variation.

20rogersc
Jun 29, 2005, 08:52 AM
Heres my second try at the chalk board idea. I have kept the Apple logo because I think it is required if you are going to use something along these lines, but changed the text to Lucida Grande.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/20rogersc/MacLessons2.jpg

Again, feedback welcome.

WeeShoo
Jul 10, 2005, 01:24 PM
http://tinypic.com/70b684.jpg

Whipped it up pretty fast. Just tryin to give you Idea's.

evoluzione
Jul 10, 2005, 02:15 PM
everyone...thank you for your ideas, and input.

Moxie, i like the logo tons, but there's nothing technical about it whatsoever, and i want to try and get that across (the fact that i do a lot of tech support and not just tuition). i do really like it though.

20rogersc ... again, i really like it, but i really cannot use the Apple logo, especially as prominently as that...i may be able to get away with a subtle one like i have one my design, but even then, i'm not completely comfortable with it.

Josh, nice, i do like that, maybe incorporating that apple with Moxie's awesome school house design could be good, although Apple reckons you're not even allowed to use a picture of an apple :confused:

WeeShoo, simple, but clean and effective, maybe if it was an orange gradient?

Lau
Jul 10, 2005, 02:21 PM
Just did these, but then just read your post about pictures of apples. Oh well :rolleyes:

highres
Jul 10, 2005, 02:36 PM
Just did these, but then just read your post about pictures of apples. Oh well :rolleyes:

I really like this one though Lau, nice concept and original design...I like the mix of the real apple and the type overlay on the apple...definitely stands out and is noticeable, seems like just about any Mac user would get a kick out of it and remember it later... :)

Lau
Jul 10, 2005, 02:38 PM
So if you can't have an actual apple, how about these? (I am so sorry about the pun) :p

evoluzione
Jul 10, 2005, 02:47 PM
So if you can't have an actual apple, how about these? (I am so sorry about the pun) :p

haha, i like the second one, funny, but it works

WeeShoo
Jul 11, 2005, 12:26 AM
http://tinypic.com/70uby9.jpg

20rogersc
Jul 11, 2005, 05:22 AM
Wow, thats really cool Lau, I love the second one. It reminds me so much of school playtimes. How about a lunchbox or something with Mac Lessons on it?? Just using the idea of school, maybe with an apple in it?? I don't know, I'm just trying to give ideas.

Lau
Jul 11, 2005, 06:01 AM
Heh, thanks guys. I would have thought that a more well eaten apple core (that's just a googled one) would be far enough away from an apple shape to not breach Apple copyright. Although I could be wrong.

20rogersc, you have got me thinking <whirring cog noises> :p

20rogersc
Jul 11, 2005, 06:18 AM
Maybe we'll all have to eat an apple, and post a picture on here, and vote to decide which apple core it should be! I, as well, think that this would be fine to conform with Apple's policy, and think that it has great potential.

What I might try is a combination of a few of the ideas put down, like the black board mixed with maybe an eaten apple instead of the apple logo, oh I don't know. It'll keep me busy though.

jsalzer
Jul 11, 2005, 07:07 AM
The problem with the lunch box is that, well, you then need a logo to go on the lunch box, and we end up back where we started. I do love the concept, though.

What about a lunch box, drawn in chalk, with a bite taken out of it? :)

You could always go with an open lunch box with the half-eaten apple on the inside, but then you're getting kind of complicated (for a logo).

Dunno - just sharing random thoughts. ;)

20rogersc
Jul 11, 2005, 07:58 AM
Yeah I see where you are coming from jsalzer

I was thinking maybe just soem text or something to go with/on the lunch box, as otherwise, like you said, it would get too complicated. At the moment I have so many ideas running through my head, but I'm sure some will be put to paper soon.

20rogersc
Jul 11, 2005, 11:20 AM
Heres my first attempt at my new idea,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/20rogersc/MacLessonscore.jpg

I'm not that keen on it myself, but I thought I'd put it on just incase it creates ideas, or if people actually like it :D Feedback welcome!

20rogersc
Jul 11, 2005, 04:23 PM
Heres yet another idea, made simply from jsalzer's pic, and a folder to co-incide with the apple theme.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/20rogersc/maclessonsscreen.jpg

I was thinking that this could be a website/document header, and if a logo is needed, just use the window. This idea could go further, by using a window of the address book to show contact information, etc.

Feedback plleeeeeeeease!

jsalzer
Jul 11, 2005, 06:16 PM
Heres yet another idea, made simply from jsalzer's pic,

Alas, twas not my pic - I have little or no artistic talent. :)

evoluzione
Jul 11, 2005, 07:08 PM
Heres yet another idea, made simply from jsalzer's pic, and a folder to co-incide with the apple theme.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/20rogersc/maclessonsscreen.jpg

I was thinking that this could be a website/document header, and if a logo is needed, just use the window. This idea could go further, by using a window of the address book to show contact information, etc.

Feedback plleeeeeeeease!

that's interesting, i think i like that, you think the desktop b/g would work in orange??

cleanup
Jul 11, 2005, 08:26 PM
Here's my take on MacLessons.

Some colour combinations shown. Any design variation can be used. Solid apple, hollow apple, different font (such as Lucida Grande instead of the shown font, Myriad Pro), different words bolded. All the colourschemes are different (ie. all one colour, letters one colour, apple another, "mac" one colour, "lessons" another). Letter case variations such as maclessons instead of MacLessons or some such.

Hope you like. Comments appreciated. You can see more of my work at http://cleanup.deviantart.com, my website http://www.cleanup.tk is currently performing redesign.

Didn't take too long. Illustrator CS2. You can have the .ai file if you choose to use my logo. :) Do whatever you want with it, or you can tell me what variation you'd like, any changes you wish.

cleanup
Jul 11, 2005, 08:35 PM
I could also design your website and business cards as well. I designed rokema.com (http://www.rokema.com) as well as their logo and business cards. Have a look. You can see my site designs as well as other artwork on my deviantART page listed above.

20rogersc
Jul 12, 2005, 04:47 AM
Cleanup, I love the Rokema (http://www.rokema.com/) site, very nice. As for your mac lessons logos, I really like them, and my personal preference is the filled Apple, but sure sure about the colours.
that's interesting, i think i like that, you think the desktop b/g would work in orange??
I can easily try it in orange, is there a mac background which is orange, because I really want to try and keep it to the Mac Desktop theme. I've actually got a couple of other ideas floating around in my head, might try these this afternoon as well . . .

cleanup
Jul 12, 2005, 07:46 AM
Cleanup, I love the Rokema (http://www.rokema.com/) site, very nice. As for your mac lessons logos, I really like them, and my personal preference is the filled Apple, but sure sure about the colours.

I can easily try it in orange, is there a mac background which is orange, because I really want to try and keep it to the Mac Desktop theme. I've actually got a couple of other ideas floating around in my head, might try these this afternoon as well . . .

Thanks.

About the orange... just adjust its hue/saturation levels until you have an orange you want... you don't need to find an orange version of the wallpaper.

evoluzione
Jul 12, 2005, 07:51 AM
is there a mac background which is orange

don't know, not that i can thnk of, other than the crappy old OS 9 ones...

evoluzione
Jul 12, 2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks.

About the orange... just adjust its hue/saturation levels until you have an orange you want... you don't need to find an orange version of the wallpaper.

just what i was going to suggest :)

cleanup
Jul 12, 2005, 07:52 AM
Any thoughts on my design, evoluzione?

20rogersc
Jul 12, 2005, 08:01 AM
Won't that change the colours in the apple, and the finder box orange as well though :confused:

cleanup
Jul 12, 2005, 08:05 AM
Won't that change the colours in the apple, and the finder box orange as well though :confused:

Yes... just remake the screenshot. Find the wallpaper either in your ~/Library or on the internet, change its colours, put it as your background and place a window over it. Then edit out the window's contents, etc. and paste your logo in the window as you had it before. OR just select the window using a lasso tool, Select Inverse, and then adjust the levels.

20rogersc
Jul 12, 2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks Cleanup, I understand. I think I might adjust the wallpaper, and then do a screenshot of what I did before. I have got some other ideas for this 'theme', but I'll post them later with the latest adjustments.

cleanup
Jul 12, 2005, 08:12 AM
Just as a note, I believe the Aqua interface is an Apple trademark, so I'm not sure if you could use it in a business/commercial manner.

evoluzione
Jul 12, 2005, 08:13 AM
Any thoughts on my design, evoluzione?

was getting to that :) wanted to take a look at the rokema site first, which i really like btw.

the logos, eh, similar to what's been done before in this thread (by Cleopatra), just more evolved...i do like the designs, just not really what i'm after, thanks very much though.

oh, as for the website design etc, i can manage that, and need to do it myself to show my skills as it were, my current maclessons.com site is only temporary.

back to the rokema site though, i really like it, very clean, slick, easy, nothing there that doesn't need to be there etc :)

cleanup
Jul 12, 2005, 08:15 AM
Wow! I didn't even look at page 2. I personally like Cleopatra's better than mine. It's remarkably similar, but it's cleaner.

20rogersc
Jul 12, 2005, 08:19 AM
Just as a note, I believe the Aqua interface is an Apple trademark, so I'm not sure if you could use it in a business/commercial manner.
Ok, I'll bear that in mind. Probably just make a simple background with a bit of variation. I'll see what my artistic talents lead me to ;)

20rogersc
Jul 13, 2005, 08:31 AM
Here you go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/20rogersc/maclessonsorange.jpg

It's a lot yellowy than it looked on my iBook, sorry if it's the wrong colour, but hopefully this will help you with your decision in what to do. I was thinking that you could create your website to look more like a desktop, but I'm not sure on the copy right laws. Maybe create your own 'dock' with created icons for buttons??

20rogersc
Jul 14, 2005, 05:04 PM
Feeback please evoluzione??

baztaylor
Jun 18, 2009, 07:45 AM
Hi there, i was just wondering if you had decided on a final logo design yet for your Mac Lessons? I've read through the feeds and i'm guessing it's still going on so i'll create some designs and get back to you...

baztaylor
Jun 18, 2009, 08:17 AM
Okay, here are some designs for your logo, tell me what you think...

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
Guys...this thread is four years old. The OP could be dead or in prison for all we know.

LeviG
Jun 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
I missed that too, although I was actually wondering where all the no spec comments were :D

baztaylor
Jun 18, 2009, 12:26 PM
Ah well, never mind - better late than never i guess :D

Designer Dale
Jun 18, 2009, 12:30 PM
Where is he/she now? Inquiring minds want to know!
Orange and black infringe on Geek Squad. Copyright infringement. 5 years.
Mac used as a separate term (note that everything Mac; Macworld, Macrumors and so on is a single word including "Mac"). Copyright infringement. 5 years.
Using the Apple logo for monetary gain. You know the rest...5 years.

And damnation to PC hell.

Dale

sharifweb
Jun 20, 2009, 02:59 PM
good discussion....

highres
Jun 20, 2009, 07:10 PM
good discussion....

Interesting but somewhat belated continuation of this thread...I followed it when it was first posted...got a subscribed thread email notification and curiosity killed my cat...:cool:

DesignerOnMac
Jun 21, 2009, 11:21 AM
maybe someone here can help me out...i'm thinking i need a logo for my new business.

i don't have much money but i'm willing to pay a few bucks if i get results...or, maybe put a link to your site on mine or something. anyway, i've registered thee domain MacLessons (http://www.maclessons.com) and have done a quick three page site which will suffice for now. i would love to get a quality logo to design a site around, and to print on business cards, and mousepads for clients etc.

anyone have any ideas? willing to help me out (in return for something) ?

thanks very much!

As a professional graphic designer, it always 'kills me', that people want a logo design, but are only willing to 'pay a few bucks', or go to a website and chose one of the most important things for their company...a logo design!
In the end, you get what you pay for!

baztaylor
Jun 22, 2009, 05:39 PM
Where is he/she now? Inquiring minds want to know!
Orange and black infringe on Geek Squad. Copyright infringement. 5 years.
Mac used as a separate term (note that everything Mac; Macworld, Macrumors and so on is a single word including "Mac"). Copyright infringement. 5 years.
Using the Apple logo for monetary gain. You know the rest...5 years.

And damnation to PC hell.

Dale

Well, even though it's out of date we've still nevertheless been exposed to a universal visual language system using icons and such like the Apple logo and it is as much ours to use for buying into it least of all to display it's like for like contextual purpose. You can't symbolise Mac instantly any other way.

Anyway, the logo is modified meaning the constraints of copyright are non existent. I didn't hear about any lawsuits posed against movie spoofs like Epic Movie and similar trite - this is exactly the same.

As far as monetary gain is concerned, gimme a break - that's what it's all about!

Macrovertigo
Jun 23, 2009, 08:36 AM
I agree with DesignerOnMac, what makes anyone think it is appropriate to ask for design work for nothing, or for the empty promise of nothing? I would be curious to see what ever became of that project, it looks like the OP dropped out of site with not even a thank you for all the free brainstorming. The trade loves to dismiss illustrators, go figure. If I had a nickel for every cretin who took a swipe at one of my drawings ...

baztaylor
Jun 28, 2009, 09:23 AM
I agree with DesignerOnMac, what makes anyone think it is appropriate to ask for design work for nothing, or for the empty promise of nothing? I would be curious to see what ever became of that project, it looks like the OP dropped out of site with not even a thank you for all the free brainstorming. The trade loves to dismiss illustrators, go figure. If I had a nickel for every cretin who took a swipe at one of my drawings ...

You're absolutely right- at the end of the day it's a job and with whatever you bring yourself to sell, even if it's quirkyfying symbolic visuals to make someone look better, customers need to take into account that designers operate by understanding and reforming malleable reinforced concepts which is not something you can learn overnight. Although practice makes things easier for a designer, there still is nevertheless a lot of invested time on behalf of designers, time that cultivates skills which creates products of function, thus a service which shouldn't be free at all.

Just how gutted would you feel if someone made an absolute fortune from a design you did that heralded nothing for you at all.....?

Macrovertigo
Jun 28, 2009, 11:25 PM
You're absolutely right- at the end of the day it's a job and with whatever you bring yourself to sell, even if it's quirkyfying symbolic visuals to make someone look better, customers need to take into account that designers operate by understanding and reforming malleable reinforced concepts which is not something you can learn overnight. Although practice makes things easier for a designer, there still is nevertheless a lot of invested time on behalf of designers, time that cultivates skills which creates products of function, thus a service which shouldn't be free at all.

Just how gutted would you feel if someone made an absolute fortune from a design you did that heralded nothing for you at all.....?

Believe me, it has happened more than once, it is one reason behind my cynicism.

THX1139
Jun 29, 2009, 02:39 AM

He got what he needed and ran away. Let this be a lesson to folks that invest time helping someone who asks for free design, or offers minimal compensation. Good quality logo design is based on years of experience and countless hours of concepting. If anyone trys to shortcut that, they will usually wind up with crap.

http://www.maclessons.com/

ezekielrage_99
Jul 1, 2009, 08:37 PM
He got what he needed and ran away. Let this be a lesson to folks that invest time helping someone who asks for free design, or offers minimal compensation. Good quality logo design is based on years of experience and countless hours of concepting. If anyone trys to shortcut that, they will usually wind up with crap.

All "great" logos end up here (http://www.yourlogomakesmebarf.com/) ;)

GoCubsGo
Jul 1, 2009, 08:50 PM

Something tells me that based on his wording for his rates on his site that he's not too bright and not much of a business man.

IE: Remote Access into your machine is billed at $60 with a half hour minimum. Ok so $60 and I get at least 30 minutes but I read that as saying I get no less than 30 and as many minutes as I need.

What a maroon!