Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
When you send an iMessage using a wifi only device like a wifi iPad or an iPod Touch...

1) To someone with an iPhone, will it come in as a normal text message?
or will the message only be received via 3g or wifi?

2) how about to a someone with a wifi only device as well, logically, they will only be able to read the message when they are on wifi, right?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this.

Cheers!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

1 wifi or 3G

2 wifi

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
When you send an iMessage using a wifi only device like a wifi iPad or an iPod Touch...

1) To someone with an iPhone, will it come in as a normal text message?
or will the message only be received via 3g or wifi? Yes, it will come as a normal text message. It will be received in Wifi if they are on a Wifi network, but if not then it will be received via 3G.

2) how about to a someone with a wifi only device as well, logically, they will only be able to read the message when they are on wifi, right? Yeah, they'll get the message when they're on Wifi... So, at home, school, work or McDonalds.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this.

Cheers!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
There is so much confusion about iMessage, I find it quite disturbing.....
Let me clarify:

1.) if you own an iPhone you can receive your iMessages (as well as your normal carrier texts) at the phone number you use for the device ie. your telephone number. You can also add an email to be reached at for messages..not sure why you would though on a phone....i can only think of when you have no telephone signal, only wifi, which is rare these days...iMessage conversations show up with blue speech bubbles for your part of e conversation. Text (phone messages) will be the normal green as they were before.

2.) if you use a wifi device ie. iPad or iPod touch you pick the email you want to receive the message at....in settings---messages----receive at----> add one or more emails and pick the one you wish to use...in my case, and my friends/family they use their @me.com email, though it can be different.

So if I iMessage you from my wifi iPad, I can send it to your phone number, and it will show up as an iMessage. There will be a little speech bubble in the contacts details if iMessage is set up on their device.
If I want to text them to their telephone number from my iPhone number, I just do as normal,,,,it should automatically use iMessage instead of carrier texts if both parties have iMessage set up to receive at "the phone number of the device"

Hope that clears something up, if not, sorry to confuse you more!

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Well, when I text my colleague on his mobile phone number (we both own iPhones) he receives it on his Wifi iPad as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.