Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom5304

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Today I placed my order at the Apple Online Store and bought a Mac. Congratulations to me!

Anyway, I have a pretty good handle on how to physically transfer files from my PC to my yet-to-arrive Mac. I plan to use an ethernet cable to connect the computers and create a network, using information I found here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/119207/

Post #31 was very helpful.

So, my question involves some peculiarities. For instance, my iTunes library is made up of about 20 gig of music and spoken word. But, my "My Music" folder in Windows contains about two additional gig of other music that I don't include in my iTunes library. As I understand it, with Windows XP, my music files are stored in the "My Music" folder, and the iTunes library information is contained in a separate database type file that uses the My Music folder as it's source.

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the discrepancy between my iTunes library and the underlying "My Music" folder in Windows. I'd love to be able to get my music over to the Mac without going through the torture of reconstructing my iTunes library, which could take quite a while if I had to rebuild it by adding a folder at a time. Ugh! Hard labor.

Anyway, if anyone has some sage advice on how to get my iTunes library, along with my additional music files, over to the Mac with a minimum of fuss, I'd sure appreciate the input.

If I have to, I'll bite the bullet and just burn my entire library onto about 30 CDs and put them on my MacMini by hand, but I just don't know if that's the best way to go.

By the way, the specs on my new Mac are as follows:

MacMini 1.25g, 512k RAM, 80g HD, Combo Drive). Yes, I realize it's on odd configuration, but I saved $50 by not buying the 1.42g model, as I'm short on money and I don't think I'll ever notice the 16% difference between the 1.25g and the 1.45g.

Thanks, all.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
On your PC look for 2 files:
iTunes Music Library.xml
iTunes Music Library.itl

Copy the your mp3 folder to the desired location and place the above files in your iTunes folder of the music folder in your home directrory. Point iTunes to the correct library folder (where you copied the mp3s to).

You might have to get rid of the .itl extension.

Haven't tried this myself, but it should work.
Good Luck

edit:
Oh, and congrats on buying a mini! Welcome to the club. ;)

snowdog

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Visby, Sweden
Also, you'll have to edit the iTunes Music Library.xml file.
Since it contains the path to each and every mp3.
The path is going to be different on the Mac.

This file also contains information about your rating, number of times each file has been played, and so forth.

It's not very hard to figure out what the file should look like.
Just edit it in any text editor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.