Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
This has been broken since .0 for me, but I haven't really cared until now.

Checking the File Sharing option in System Preferences would cause the box to instantly untick itself. I then enabled SMB which allows the File Sharing toggle to work as it should, but it only enables SMB.

If I tick the AFP tick box it half ticks (comes up as a hyphen [-]) then instantly unticks.

I've tried rm-img ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist and com.apple.systempreferences.plist.lockfile, which didn't revert anything in SysPrefs.

Unfortunately all the info I can find on AFP on Lion is about the issues with NAS support (or something).

Any help is appreciated.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

Checking the File Sharing option in System Preferences would cause the box to instantly untick itself. I then enabled SMB which allows the File Sharing toggle to work as it should, but it only enables SMB.

If I tick the AFP tick box it half ticks (comes up as a hyphen [-]) then instantly unticks.

I've tried rm-img ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist and com.apple.systempreferences.plist.lockfile, which didn't revert anything in SysPrefs.

Unfortunately all the info I can find on AFP on Lion is about the issues with NAS support (or something).

Any help is appreciated.

I would contact Apple on this one. It sounds like a bug and you are probably within the 90 day support window since you purchased Lion.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009

Any help is appreciated.

I posted something about this a little big ago, basically AFP had some security option that is present in LION that is not accepted by some devices without firmware updates.

here's an article that lead me down that path of thinking http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51033

I'm not sure what to do, I don't like disabling crap in terminal cause I dn' know how to calculate the risk of stuff long term(I'm not that Unix savvy) but I know some devices are working right out of the box now with the downloaded firm update. What device are you using...the LAPLUG by Lacie doesn't work; that's what I've been trying

I found this on apple.com https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206308?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.