Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
WIth MobileMe I had my outgoing server as my Gmail account. My Gmail account forwarded all email to my MobileMe so that I'd have a backup in case anything happened.

But when I go into my iCloud settings on my iPhone it seems that I can't change anything about the primary SMTP server. I can't even turn it off.

Has anyone else tried this?

Last edited:

Tearabite

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
So.California
My iCloud SMTP settings are also locked on 2 iphones and 2 ipads.. i think this is by desgin so we cant mess it up.. sadly, it's messed up by apple right now so i cant send any iCloud mail :mad:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My iCloud SMTP settings are also locked on 2 iphones and 2 ipads.. i think this is by desgin so we cant mess it up.. sadly, it's messed up by apple right now so i cant send any iCloud mail :mad:

Hmm I suppose I could just use Gmail directly then. I could still have it forward to my iCloud for a backup.

Oh well. If anyone comes up with a solution please post it in this thread :)

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Yeah you can do it. It's not in the mail settings where the SMTP would normally be though. It's under Settings>iCloud>Account>Advanced Mail. My initially-setup server didn't work for iCloud (p05-smtp.me.com) so I changed it to the generic smtp.me.com and now it works fine :)

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yeah you can do it. It's not in the mail settings where the SMTP would normally be though. It's under Settings>iCloud>Account>Advanced Mail. My initially-setup server didn't work for iCloud (p05-smtp.me.com) so I changed it to the generic smtp.me.com and now it works fine :)

When I go there my SMTP settings are grayed out. I mean, I can look at the different servers and I can see my Gmail SMTP there under the secondary servers, but I can't deactivate the Primary one. It's just all grayed out.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
blevins321: Also, I don't even see what server the iCloud SMTP is set to.
I've attached a screenshot of my Primary Server screen from iCloud>Account>Advanced>Mail.

I even tried deleting and adding iCloud again.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.PNG
    IMG_2400.PNG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,255

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
When I go there my SMTP settings are grayed out. I mean, I can look at the different servers and I can see my Gmail SMTP there under the secondary servers, but I can't deactivate the Primary one. It's just all grayed out.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? How come this Person says they can edit their iCloud?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
blevins321: Also, I don't even see what server the iCloud SMTP is set to.
I've attached a screenshot of my Primary Server screen from iCloud>Account>Advanced>Mail.

I even tried deleting and adding iCloud again.
I think you are 1 page too far. On the prior page you need add smtp server there and the make it the primary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.