PDA

View Full Version : powersupport anti-glare vs crystal screen protector

McWaffles
Oct 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
anyone using either one of this? any comments about it?
which do you prefer, anti-glare or crystal clear?

Weirik
Oct 14, 2011, 02:52 PM
Its one of the best screen protectors out there. I like this one and the Phone Devil. I prefer the matte antiglare because it's more resistant to fingerprints and I really like the texture. It's really smooth and your finger runs nice across it without sticking compared to the glossy.

aricher
Oct 14, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'm a long-term PS crystal clear user but switched to an PS anti-glare as that's all they had in my local apple store. I really hate it. It degrades the image quality, visible speckling. It feels exactly like running your finger across a piece of scotch tape, nasty. It also makes your phone not as responsive as the clear, scrolling is not as fast. I do like being able to see the phone better under all lighting conditions but the detractors above were enough for me to order a couple clear sets from the PS website.

utl768
Oct 14, 2011, 03:52 PM
id go neither

power support quality has taken a huge hit

installed it today and a million bubbles even though the screen is spotless

real dissapointed

McWaffles
Oct 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
id go neither

real dissapointed

so what do you suggest then? :)

tonyy
Oct 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hmm, I just bought PS anti-glare last night but haven't installed them yet. Any suggestions then?

I've only heard of good things about PS on here.

utl768
Oct 14, 2011, 09:14 PM
so what do you suggest then? :)

i had an sgp film lying around so i used that

good quality makes it seem like nothing is on the screen

finger print magnet though

Poochi
Oct 14, 2011, 09:31 PM
The best quality "protector" is the gorilla glass installed on everyone's iPhones.

In other words... go naked and you'll come to realization that all this time we have wasted so much money babying the phone and it does not increase resale value as in most cases the screen seldom get scratched as long as you exercise common sense.

Majority of buyers who are in second hand phone market don't care much about hairline scratches. They just want a functional phone at lowest possible price... That's why they buy it second hand.

If you are the kind of person who uses the phone for more than one year, you will "get over" the phone after a month or two, and more often than not the true moment that one actually "enjoys" the phone is after the phone gets a little scratch and the owner don't care anymore.

We should stop being slaves of iPhones :) (now... let's see what Siri will talk to me about...)

shadedred
Oct 15, 2011, 12:18 AM
id go neither

real dissapointed

I have to disagree... I've been using PS since the 3G and love it... In fact I just installed PS on my 4S today, and it turned out beautifully. Maybe a bad batch? As for the Anti-Glare vs. the Crystal, it definitely comes down to preference, the Anti-Glare is much easier on the fingers but does detract from the clarity of the screen, I do a lot of outdoor walking so I stick with the Anti-Glare. The Crystal shows the full clarity of the screen, however, fingerprints are really apparent as well as scratches over time.

jdaniel
Oct 15, 2011, 04:41 AM
Ive always used PS anti glare since the days of 3G. No bubbles no issues.. people like to blame it on the film... blame the installer... if you prep everything properly and install it right after you take off the factory protector thats best... do it after u use it.. it could be have micro pits n whatever else and needs to be really cleaned well before install.

ZipZap
Oct 15, 2011, 09:20 AM
The best quality "protector" is the gorilla glass installed on everyone's iPhones.

In other words... go naked and you'll come to realization that all this time we have wasted so much money babying the phone and it does not increase resale value as in most cases the screen seldom get scratched as long as you exercise common sense.

Majority of buyers who are in second hand phone market don't care much about hairline scratches. They just want a functional phone at lowest possible price... That's why they buy it second hand.

If you are the kind of person who uses the phone for more than one year, you will "get over" the phone after a month or two, and more often than not the true moment that one actually "enjoys" the phone is after the phone gets a little scratch and the owner don't care anymore.

We should stop being slaves of iPhones :) (now... let's see what Siri will talk to me about...)

Not sure why this keeps coming up. Iphones DO NOT USE gorilla glass.

----------

Best antifingerprint protector is the SGP Ultrafine. And yes, I have tried all of the others.

Weirik
Oct 19, 2011, 10:53 AM
id go neither

real dissapointed

Operator error.

Chrisbkreme
Oct 19, 2011, 11:18 AM
I ordered a power support for my 4s a couple days ago. Will report back when I have received and installed it.

ansabakhan
Oct 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
i have used dozons of screen protectors ... and i can assure your powersupport anti-glare is the best of the best!

aawil
Oct 19, 2011, 11:29 AM
I have the anti-glare, it's great for fingerprints but it does hurt the screen quality. Quite a bit in my opinion. My main reason for using it is my I4's coating has been worn off and it's constantly a smeary mess now. Hoping to prolong my 4S by using the screen protector this round.

Nhwhazup
Oct 19, 2011, 05:49 PM
I've used both the crystal clear and the anti-glare both previously on my 3GS and my iPad. They are both top notch but I totally prefer the crystal clear. I actually prefer the feel of the scratchy anti-glare but I could not take the reduction in clarity on my previous devices and certainly don't want to diminish the crispness on the retina display screen.

I actually received the 3 pack from Power Support today and put both the front and back on with no issues, no dust, no bubbles. Perfect install as usual with Power Support.

Here's a tip to putting on these with no dust or bubbles. First of all run a steamy shower in your bathroom - which will settle the dust down and not have it hanging out in the air ready to attach to your screen. This really, really helps. Then use the white strip to pull any chance of lint off the screen. When doing an
install, I also have scotch tape handy in case there is a speck of anything under the protector. Use one piece of scotch tape to lift the protector and the other to dab at the speck or lint. Helps if you have any problems to lift up, correct and lay down again. I believe there is a video on you tube that shows exactly what I've just explained. Follow this, go slow and be patient with yourself and you'll have a perfect install. I'm very anal when it comes to my screen protectors so I have to get them right.

I also can attest that as careful as you can be, these screens unprotected will scratch. I had my iPad in a protective case all the time initially and only wiped it with iKlear and a clean microfiber cloth. There was no way I had done anything to bump it, or had grit or anything else on it. But after only 3 weeks I could see very light surface scratching when I had a black screen in the light. I could imagine what it would look like after long use. So I put on the Power Support Crystal clear and it is super - I think it actually shows less fingerprints than the naked screen if that is at all possible. My iPad was purchased on day one of the original version and it still looks like new. The screen protector has actually held up better than the screen itself initially did.

b24pgg
Oct 19, 2011, 05:56 PM
The iPhone 4S does NOT use Corning Gorilla Glass and it will scratch if you're not careful.

The Toddler
Oct 19, 2011, 06:03 PM
I've used both the crystal clear and the anti-glare both previously on my 3GS and my iPad. They are both top notch but I totally prefer the crystal clear. I actually prefer the feel of the scratchy anti-glare but I could not take the reduction in clarity on my previous devices and certainly don't want to diminish the crispness on the retina display screen.

I actually received the 3 pack from Power Support today and put both the front and back on with no issues, no dust, no bubbles. Perfect install as usual with Power Support.

Here's a tip to putting on these with no dust or bubbles. First of all run a steamy shower in your bathroom - which will settle the dust down and not have it hanging out in the air ready to attach to your screen. This really, really helps. Then use the white strip to pull any chance of lint off the screen. When doing an
install, I also have scotch tape handy in case there is a speck of anything under the protector. Use one piece of scotch tape to lift the protector and the other to dab at the speck or lint. Helps if you have any problems to lift up, correct and lay down again. I believe there is a video on you tube that shows exactly what I've just explained. Follow this, go slow and be patient with yourself and you'll have a perfect install. I'm very anal when it comes to my screen protectors so I have to get them right.

I also can attest that as careful as you can be, these screens unprotected will scratch. I had my iPad in a protective case all the time initially and only wiped it with iKlear and a clean microfiber cloth. There was no way I had done anything to bump it, or had grit or anything else on it. But after only 3 weeks I could see very light surface scratching when I had a black screen in the light. I could imagine what it would look like after long use. So I put on the Power Support Crystal clear and it is super - I think it actually shows less fingerprints than the naked screen if that is at all possible. My iPad was purchased on day one of the original version and it still looks like new. The screen protector has actually held up better than the screen itself initially did.
Are there cutouts for the front proximity sensor for either the crystal or anti-glare front screen? People in other threads are saying there are, but the pictures on the Powersupport website do not show this -- just a cutout for the speaker and camera.

mcdj
Oct 19, 2011, 06:27 PM
operator error.

+1

Nhwhazup
Oct 19, 2011, 07:06 PM
Are there cutouts for the front proximity sensor for either the crystal or anti-glare front screen? People in other threads are saying there are, but the pictures on the Powersupport website do not show this -- just a cutout for the speaker and camera.

There are only cutouts for the camera and speaker - nothing for the black ellipse over the speaker. Is that the proximity sensor? What does it do? Does it need a cut out?

Degree
Oct 19, 2011, 07:20 PM
I like the antiglare a lot better, I had it on my iPhone 3GS.
The antiglare feels really nice and smooth, look at itsmemorpheis (idk how to spell his name) on youtube with him installing it on and you will know what I mean by "smooth and nice". It is also better then the crystal clear due to the fact it shows less fingerprints.

But I guess its a matter of opinion. Do you like the glass feel just like the iphone's? Get the Crystal Clear, otherwise get the antiglare

Bossboss
Oct 19, 2011, 08:12 PM
just installed power support crystal on front and back and by far this is the BEST screen protector ever...

0 bubbles,
completely clear front and back,
and don't even notice it is on.

its phenomenal! got the antiglare one too in case i want to use it.

highly recommended

boss out.

wellok
Oct 19, 2011, 10:22 PM
I installed PS Crystal front and back today and am pleased with it. I got the set that also came with a matte film for the front, and just holding them in front of my hand there was an obvious decrease in clarity through that one when there wasn't with the crystal.

----------

There are only cutouts for the camera and speaker - nothing for the black ellipse over the speaker. Is that the proximity sensor? What does it do? Does it need a cut out?

Some protectors have issues with this... I think the SGP Oleophobic is one that inhibits the proximity sensor but I could be remembering wrong. I haven't had that issue with either the PS or SGP crystal films and neither has a cut out for it.

takeshi74
Oct 19, 2011, 10:23 PM
I'd suggest the SGP oleophobic or PS crystal.

"Best" is always highly subjective and it's no different with the screen protector versus naked debate. Realize that your preference is your preference. Not universal preference.

As stated above, the iPhone doesn't use Gorilla Glass but even Gorilla Glass isn't unscratchable.

For some, "seldom" isn't good enough. For those that fall into "seldom" that's no reassurance. Once your screen is scratched your screen is scratched. Accidents happen. You can say "be careful" or "use common sense" (which is irrelevant) all you want but who intentionally scratches or cracks their screen?

No, I'm not. Again, speak for yourself. You need to use "I" where you're using "you".

real dissapointed
If you really believe that then warranty it. Odds are your environment is dustier than you think. Try the shower tip.

I think the SGP Oleophobic is one that inhibits the proximity sensor but I could be remembering wrong.
You are. Prox sensor works just fine with the SGP oleophobic on my iPhone.

Kilo-9
Oct 19, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm running the PS Crystal and love it. The PS crystal on my previous 3Gs lasted over two years.

I purchased a two-pack from Power Support last week and they both have a cut-out for the proximity sensor...

Outrigger
Oct 19, 2011, 10:44 PM
I'm running the PS Crystal and love it. The PS crystal on my previous 3Gs lasted over two years.

I purchased a two-pack from Power Support last week and they both have a cut-out for the proximity sensor...

I use PS, both AG and Crystal, and I'm pretty sure the cut out is for the front cam, not the proximity sensor.

Kilo-9
Oct 19, 2011, 10:55 PM
I use PS, both AG and Crystal, and I'm pretty sure the cut out is for the front cam, not the proximity sensor.

The two protectors I received from PS have the hole for the front camera and two slots...one for the speaker and one above it for the proximity sensor.

wellok
Oct 19, 2011, 10:57 PM
I ordered the set with a clear, a matte, and a clear for the back and neither of the front protectors has a proximity cutout. The pictures on the website don't show one either.

Ali.
Oct 19, 2011, 11:15 PM
Just installed the PS Anti-Glare today, finished result looks great.

Did the usual prep; Cleaned screen with iKlear wipes and microfibre cloth, applied pre-installation film then installed the AG in a steamed out bathroom.

Pretty happy with the end result, no dust or air bubbles what so ever. Will try the AG out for a while, if I'm not happy with the clarity I'll switch over to the crystal but I hate seeing smudges and fingerprints on my screen and seeing fine scratches when in direct sunlight which I feel I would encounter with the crystal as opposed to the AG.

I'm willing to lose a small degree of clarity if using anti-glare eliminates the other problems I mentioned above.

I ordered the 2x 3 pc. film set (Anti Glare front, Crystal front and crystal back) and the cutouts are only for the speaker and front facing camera. No cutout for the prox sensor.

trek360
Oct 19, 2011, 11:17 PM
I use the crystal on my iphone and the anti-glare on my ipad. For the screen size I found the anti-glare took much crispness away from display on the iphone. The anti-glare controls fingerprints better though in my opinion which is more important to me on the larger screened ipad.

cfairbank
Oct 19, 2011, 11:26 PM
i use the crystal on my iphone and the anti-glare on my ipad. For the screen size i found the anti-glare took much crispness away from display on the iphone. The anti-glare controls fingerprints better though in my opinion which is more important to me on the larger screened ipad.

+1

Chrispy650
Oct 19, 2011, 11:31 PM
I sent an email to PS about the proximity sensor and this is what I got. Btw I did order the ag, crystal clear front n back package.

"Thank you for your email. All of our current films are the HD version, even if not stated on the website, and have the cut out for the proximity sensor. I hope this has been helpful. Thank you for your support."

Kilo-9
Oct 19, 2011, 11:32 PM
Sorry, not the best picture. Here are the two extra PS screen protectors I have. One is the extra crystal from the two-pack, the other is the HD Anti-glare that came with the Air Jacket case. All were ordered directly from Power Support last week and arrived the same day as my 4s.

wellok
Oct 19, 2011, 11:39 PM
Huh, interesting. I ordered mine last week and got them today. Here's my extra. Awful picture but look at the PowerSupport logo - the cut out is on top of that and you can see that I only have the speaker/camera ones.

http://i.imgur.com/rcLvO.jpg

My proximity sensor is working fine without the cutout, btw.

Kilo-9
Oct 19, 2011, 11:47 PM
Strange. I'd prefer that they didn't have the cutout. It looks funny since my 4s is black and not white.

wellok
Oct 19, 2011, 11:49 PM
Yeah, now that I see yours and know mine works without the cutout I'm glad I got lucky.

Kilo-9
Oct 19, 2011, 11:53 PM
I also purchased a tinted-clear version of the Power Support Air Jacket from the Apple store two Mondays ago. They didn't stock the all clear version and, at the time, Power Support was out-of-stock on their site. I am planning on returning the tinted one. Anyway, I just opened that package and looked at the included HD Anti-glare films and they both have the cut-out for the prox sensor. Very strange...

puma1552
Oct 20, 2011, 12:00 AM
I just installed the crystal pair set (front and rear protectors) on both my phone and my wife's, and both had the proximity cutout.

I think maybe those who ordered the 3 pack with the rear and both a crystal/AG front may not have gotten the proximity cutout, whereas if you ordered the two pack of crystals, you got the cutouts.:confused:

iMaconApple
Oct 20, 2011, 12:02 AM
PS clear all the way..that anti glare makes the display look not as clear to see the retina display... i dont know why PS clear dont sell at apple only anti glare ones i noticed that in all my apple stores.. i need to email PS about this..i did have a bad screen protector once and they sent me out a free one next day great service:apple:

twiggy0
Oct 20, 2011, 12:24 AM
You can get 5 screen protectors for the iPhone 3G/3GS for $0.90, and they're very effective at stopping smudges and scratches from occuring. Probably the single best deal on the internet right now.

5 iPhone 3G/3GS Screen Protecters (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UO651S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=onlineforums-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B001UO651S) $0.90 + Free Shipping

If you have an iPhone 4G/4GS, you can opt to get a 3-Pack for $0.84

3 iPhone 4/4S Screen Protecters (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RZTCWC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=onlineforums-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B003RZTCWC) $0.84 + Free Shipping

The thing about screen protectors is that they only work there magic if they're correctly applied. I would recommend going to an Apple Store to get them applied as they know how to make sure no air bubbles are caught beneath the screen protectors.

The Toddler
Oct 20, 2011, 02:53 PM
I just installed the crystal pair set (front and rear protectors) on both my phone and my wife's, and both had the proximity cutout.

I think maybe those who ordered the 3 pack with the rear and both a crystal/AG front may not have gotten the proximity cutout, whereas if you ordered the two pack of crystals, you got the cutouts.:confused:
This seems to be correct. I just spoke to someone in Powersupport customer service and she sounded surprised that the old non-proximity sensor cutouts were included. If this has happened to you, just call them 1-877-342-4159 and explain what happened, and they should be able to send you new ones. The HD anti-glare are currently available, but the crystals won't be in stock until next week.