PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk 2012 MacBook Air - what would you like to see?

Pages : [1] 2

Jobsian
Oct 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
What a notebook this has been. Utterly mesmerising. Functionality beyond expectation. Steve Jobs, the MBA being one of his labor of loves, totally knocked it out of the park with this.

Now we've had this design a while, what, if any, bottlenecks are you coming up against that might be lifted with a new model? What else do you want to see, within 'reason' (you define that).

CPU
I'm not pushing the CPU much. A drop in the time it takes to convert movie or music files would be a bonus. As would elimination of the odd skip on youtube 1080p. Heat and noise? Genuinely, having one of the lower voltage CPUs, I have none. Any CPU upgrade, presumably Ivy Bridge, will be more than sufficient for me.

RAM
Even with Win XP on VM, I'm not pushing the RAM on mine at all (4GB). I'd be happy with the same, but if 8GB were there, I'd go for it to run beefier programs/games.

SSD
I'm regularly hitting the SSD limit leaving me to juggle constantly with Time Capsule, so a bigger SSD if available would be great. I'd love 512GB.

GPU
Not gaming much (except some emulator action), this isn't get pushed. I'll be happy with whatever Ivy Bridge gives me.

Screen
No concerns, would be happy with the same. OLED or IPS? If implemented well, it'd be nice.

Battery
Probably the upgrade I want to see. I'm constantly zeroing the current one as I take it around the house/work/travel. Hoping Ivy Bridge helps with this. Not aware of any new advances in battery technology. Toshiba promised something along these lines last year, including super fast recharge, claiming zero to 90% battery in 10 minutes! link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=912202)

Integrated LTE/3G
I'd be all over this in principle, but can't imagine it not significantly impacting battery and slightly adding weight with inefficient Sim-bays.

TB/USB3
The former's a given, I imagine almost certainly for the latter too given Ivy Bridge support. This would also be great to have and is another bottleneck for me, mainly because I'm transferring to and from Time Capsule and flash disks to free up my SSD.

Design
Even though I'd still be very happy with the same design and upgraded internals, wouldn't it be great to see this thing in black? There was some rumor of Apple looking into this a year or two ago.

Siri
:)

_

Thunder82
Oct 14, 2011, 02:46 PM
Only improvement i'd really care about would be a better and/or dedicated GPU. This will boost overall system performance because of OpenCL & also hopefully bring us back to a respectable gaming system on the go.

A 15" air would be cool too :-)

Jobsian
Oct 14, 2011, 02:49 PM
True, forgot about OpenCL, I believe Ivy Bridge will sort that out.

KPOM
Oct 14, 2011, 03:03 PM
Ivy Bridge will sort out the power/battery life situation quite a bit, though Intel is promising even bigger improvements with Haswell when it is released in 2013 or 2014. Ivy Bridge also will bring USB 3.0 support and better graphics (including OpenCL). Beyond that, there isn't much that needs fixing on the 2011 MacBook Air, as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps they will add an 8GB RAM option, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't occur until the 2013 revision.

JHUFrank
Oct 14, 2011, 04:59 PM
Backlit Keyboard!!!! ;-) Sorry couldn't resist...

bearsalley34
Oct 14, 2011, 05:06 PM
more ram is the only thing i'd want.

onthecouchagain
Oct 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
I think the number one thing on my list is better battery. I'm talking about... approaching the 10 hour mark. That would be phenomenal.

More storage would be nice, and if I'm dreaming, lower price point. heh.

plumosa
Oct 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
Battery life is the only thing that's absolutely necessary. Ideally, I 'd want to be unplugged all day long, but if it would last 8+ hours I'd still be happy. None of this 4 hour BS!

mrsir2009
Oct 14, 2011, 05:20 PM
•Better GPU
•Bigger SSD options
•8GB RAM option

If it had that in the 2012 release I might choose it over the MBP...

bill-p
Oct 14, 2011, 05:40 PM
More battery life (10 hours?)
Higher resolution (1080p)
Smaller body/less screen bezel (around .5" is good)
Bigger trackpad
Glass screen (current plastic layer seems flimsy)
Less weight
Less heat + less fan noise at same power level as 2010 model

I'm willing to pay $2000 or more for that kind of device...

GekkePrutser
Oct 14, 2011, 06:07 PM
I'd love integrated 3G. I don't think a SIM bay has to add much weight, have you ever seen how small the Micro-SIM holder is on the iPad and iPhone? It would take less space even with the radio module than the SD card reader does now. And it would be a lot more useful to me personally.

The only thing I would expect would be a fairly unsightly plastic cover in the lid, just like the iPad 3G currently has. I don't think the plastic gap at the back (where the WiFi antenna is located) would be big enough for a WiFi antenna and a 3G one as well (remember 3G can emit up to 20x more power! And the better view of the outside world the antenna has, the lower the transmit power can be and thus the battery drain). I think this is the real reason why it isn't available yet.

KylePowers
Oct 14, 2011, 06:59 PM
I wish they'd bump up the screen size while keeping the same footprint (especially with the 11in).

Of course, increased battery life is also another situation I run into. Don't really run into CPU/RAM issues with what I use it for. I could use more space, but that's because I was too cheap to go 256GB lol

3dflyboy1
Oct 14, 2011, 08:38 PM
I'd like to see:

1) Longer battery life
2) better or dedicated GPU
3) Maybe 4GB RAM stock?

Everything else is fine the way it is IMO.

BadaBing!!
Oct 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
Would be even more awesome with

3G
Better battery
8Gb RAM
Smaller screen bezel

gman901
Oct 14, 2011, 09:06 PM
Nvidia integrated graphics.

austinguy23
Oct 14, 2011, 09:16 PM
15" or 16" display.

Abazigal
Oct 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
No distinction between MBP or MBA. In the future, there shall be only one....

Macbook. That combines the most desirable traits of both laptops. :D

Dornblaser
Oct 14, 2011, 09:25 PM
8 GB Ram
512 SSD
Ivy Bridge
Same form factor or smaller

Perfect!

ThunderSkunk
Oct 14, 2011, 10:42 PM
An iPad built in to the horizontal portion, with iOS running a configurable on-screen keyboard & control surface, access to iOS apps as a vertical overlay to OS X running on the main chipset... accessing shared ram & drivespace...

It'd be the first of it's kind to hit the mass market.

"I dream dream dream dream..."

hkim1983
Oct 14, 2011, 11:08 PM
Give me more ram and superior battery life and it'll be my next computer purchase, otherwise, I'll stick with my MBP.

Jobsian
Oct 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
I've thought about having a horizontal touchscreen too, it's an interesting idea, only it seems it might needlessly take attention from the main screen, plus would limit typing speed, unless they found some form of tactile feedback on future iPads to improve this.

Would be even more awesome with

Smaller screen bezel
This I'd also definitely add.

macneubie
Oct 14, 2011, 11:16 PM
Slimness and pricing to thrash Asus's Zenbook :D

Jobsian
Oct 15, 2011, 05:40 AM
Out of interest, why do quite a few people seem to really want 8GB RAM?

I do realise the infinitive was split. There's nothing that can be done about that now though. :(

fade-
Oct 15, 2011, 05:50 AM
better battery life on the 11"

orfeas0
Oct 15, 2011, 06:28 AM
The sure things that are coming with ivy bridge are:
Less heat/noise.
Faster cpus.
Better gpus(integrated, but better than now).
More battery (thanks to low-voltage ivy bridge).
Ram probably upgradable to 8gb, and 4gb standard on all models.
SSD capacity=probably doubled (128gb min, 256gb other models, 512gb as BTO or high-end MBA).

I really can't think of something better to come. Resolution is fine, 1080p will be TOO much, unless they improve the fonts etc.

What I believe we will soon see is a trackpad which is also a screen (something like a mini-ipad). Thing is, it won't work alone. It will use apple's airplay to mirror your iphone/ipads/macbook's/imac's screen into it's small screen.
That needs a really good programming and ideas though.

iZac
Oct 15, 2011, 06:44 AM
SIM card slot :D

dsiee
Oct 15, 2011, 06:52 AM
What I believe we will soon see is a trackpad which is also a screen (something like a mini-ipad). Thing is, it won't work alone. It will use apple's airplay to mirror your iphone/ipads/macbook's/imac's screen into it's small screen.
That needs a really good programming and ideas though.

mini-iPad = iPod touch/iPhone integrated? :D

snorkelman
Oct 15, 2011, 07:44 AM
faster thinner lighter more

Bruce99
Oct 15, 2011, 07:50 AM
Yes, best computer ever for a portable - or even for any type :D

All proposed improvements would be great. The only improvement that is truly needed is wakeup speed. My wife's Pro wakes in about a second. My 2011 MBA takes about 4. Speedy, compared to my 5 year old Dell, but still needs tweaking by Apple.

13" MBA Core i7, 27" iMac Core i7, 15" MBP Core2Duo, 21" iMac Core2Duo, iPhone 4

Chipg
Oct 15, 2011, 09:40 AM

I do realise the infinitive was split. There's nothing that can be done about that now though. :(

I run both lion and windows 7 at the same time, that seems to use all 4 gigs of my ram.

Dornblaser
Oct 15, 2011, 09:50 AM

Some programs for photo, video & web design work better with 8GB. More is always better. :rolleyes:

calvol
Oct 15, 2011, 10:13 AM
- ARM processor - 15 hours battery life
- Carbon fiber body - bottom vents, better cooling capacity, and LIGHTER (2.5lbs)
- Retina display
- 8GB/512SSD
- HD camera
- SD slot with full-insertion- so the SD card doesn't stick out, worse thing about the Air.

Happy with the 2010 13", will probably wait till Haswell or ARM to upgrade again, but might buy the 2012 MBP in the meantime.

jmpnop
Oct 15, 2011, 10:13 AM
Backlit Keyboard!!!! ;-) Sorry couldn't resist...

Its already there in the 2011 MBA. If you're talking about illuminated keys, that would be cool;)

philxor
Oct 15, 2011, 12:30 PM
I'm happy with my 2010 but might be looking to upgrade next year.

My list is:

Better GPU, with the ability to drive two external monitors at full resolution
8GB RAM Option
Obviously better battery life.

Jobsian
Oct 16, 2011, 09:49 AM
- ARM processor - 15 hours battery life
- Carbon fiber body - bottom vents, better cooling capacity, and LIGHTER (2.5lbs)
- Retina display
- 8GB/512SSD
- HD camera
- SD slot with full-insertion- so the SD card doesn't stick out, worse thing about the Air.

Happy with the 2010 13", will probably wait till Haswell or ARM to upgrade again, but might buy the 2012 MBP in the meantime.
Don't know why you were downvoted, but I'm not sure we're close to seeing ARM in them just yet. Carbon fiber would be good for weight and strength, but it insulates a lot. Liquid metal a possibility?

slnko-v-sieti
Oct 16, 2011, 11:31 AM
CPU: Minor improvements with Ivy Bridge (1 year), substantial with Haswell (2 years).

GPU: Not a priority for Apple on Airs? Ivy Bridge and Haswell will show improvements.

RAM: 4 GB min, 8 max.

SSD: 128 GB min, 5-- max, hopefully. I could definitely see Apple holding the SSD options where they stand next year. Also might be between a rock and a hard place with SSDs. (Apple's crumbling relationship with Samsung and Toshiba's low quality.)

Battery: Longer. Improving 11" battery life should be a huge priority for Apple upon the next refresh, esp given the popularity of that model. Need to get both models up to 10 hrs so they can be marketed as "all day" machines.

LTE/4G/3G: Logical for an ultraportable, esp Airs which are sans ethernet port, though I doubt we'll see it. Apple might prefer that users tether to smartphone, but carriers don't make that particularly convenient.

USB3: Yes.

Form Factor: I don't think we'll see a change until Haswell arrives (2 years). MBA is still the best-looking ultraportable on the market, and will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future; no reason to change it.

Screen: I'd like to see a larger screen and reduced bezel on at least the 11", although it may be unlikely. Higher resolutions would be nice, but only if they take a retina approach. Higher quality (viewing angles) would be much appreciated.

Bezel: Although I don't mind it, dumping the silver bezel for black would probably be the best when it comes to user experience.

Chassis: I personally don't find carbon fiber visually appealing, and MBA doesn't necessarily need the weight improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if a black model were to debut eventually.

15" model: Doubtful. I imagine MBPs will begin appearing with smaller form factors/SSDs somewhere down the road; a 15" model would then be marketed under the Pro brand rather than Air.

Camera: Bring in line with MBP's facetime HD next year.

OSX Lion: We'll probably see Siri integrated into Lion at some point.

zap2
Oct 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
Nvidia integrated graphics.

Intel would have to undo their current policy of forcing Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPUs to come with their integrated graphic solution and nVidia would need to jump back into the market. And considering how Intel's HD 3000 isn't that much worse then nVidia's Geforce 320M, I find it very unlikely that Intel's Ivy Bridge integrated graphic card won't beat the 320M.

Better GPU, with the ability to drive two external monitors at full resolution

I'm under the impression the GPU can already do that as my Mac mini has the same GPU as the 13'' model/high end 11.6" and it can drive the Thunderbolt Display and a 24" Cinema Display.(But the 999 model has the same GPU as the 599 Mac mini and that has a Thunderbolt and HDMI port, so I think even the low end MacBook Air can support it) but the issue is the Thunderbolt port doesn't support daisy chaining, so we'd need their the ability to Daisy Chain displays or more ideally another Thunderbolt port.

I'm hoping for

-Ivy Bridge i7 @ 1.8 GHz and 1.5Ghz
-Standard 4GB RAM / Maximun 8GB RAM
-Standard 128GB SSD on the low end 11.6"/13", 256 SSD on high end 11.6"/13" and 521GB as BTO all with increased read/write performance.
-(micro)SD card reader on 11" model
-2 Thunderbolt ports on 13" model and 1 Thunderbolt port on 11.6" both supporting daisy chaining
-USB 3.0(although I have my doubts Apple is going to implement this on any Mac)
-7 hour battery for 11.6"/10 hour battery for 13"
-HD camera

If we got the majority of those, I'd feel the urge to upgrade my 2010 Core 2 Duo model.

hkim1983
Oct 16, 2011, 02:30 PM

Virtualization. Windows 7 likes ram. This is the only reason why the MBA is not even a consideration for me at this point.

TSE
Oct 16, 2011, 05:48 PM
11" MacBook Air:

$999
1366x768 11" LCD
4 GBs of RAM (8 GBs optional, +$129)
64 GBs
Intel Ivy-Bridge Dual-Core low-end i5 Processor
6.5 Hours of Battery Life

$1199
1366x768 11" LCD
128 GBs (256 GBs optional, +$199)
Intel Ivy-Bridge Dual-Core mid-range i5 Processor
6.5 Hours of Battery Life

13" MacBook Air:

$1299
1440x900 13" LCD
128 GBs (256 GBs optional, +$199)
Intel Ivy-Bridge Dual-Core mid-range i5 Processor
8 Hours of Battery Life

$1599
1440x900 13" LCD
8 GBs of RAM
256 GBs (512 GBs optional, +$399)
Intel Ivy-Bridge Dual-Core high-end i7 Processor
8 Hours of Battery Life

Saturn1217
Oct 16, 2011, 06:36 PM
I really want the MBA to be my next computer. Currently rocking a 13inch MBP and this is what I would need (or want) in order to make the switch:

6-8 GB of Ram - I don't care what anyone else says. I don't do very intensive work and OSX (even Snow Leopard) eats Ram. I don't want to be worrying about this in my next purchase.

thunderbolt to ethernet adapter - when is this going to be offered by apple? I'm shocked honestly that it isn't available now. I absolutely require an ethernet port for work and I'm willing to use an adapter but I'd like to keep my much more valuable usb ports as well as have high speed gigabit ethernet.

better battery life - Not a huge deal but it would be nice. If the 13inch MBA could get 8 solid real life hours off the battery I would be happy.

usb3 - I'd be happy with a thunderbolt to usb3 adapter really, but having it built in would be a plus. Again the main point is I really hope Apple decides to actually make use of this super fancy thunderbolt port that they made such a big deal out of. It could be so useful but right now it is basically the exact opposite...

That's about it really. I love the design of the MBA and I think cpu performance is well beyond what I'd require at this point. Apple seems to like the MBA product line (unlike the 13inch MBP line, or the mac mini for example) so here is to hoping they don't gimp it...

warfed
Oct 16, 2011, 06:44 PM
Windows 7 likes ram.

From my experience Windows 7 is much more ram efficient than OSX. I can easily use Win 7 with 1 GB or ram. Right now in Lion I have only one program open (chrome with 2 tabs) and I'm using 1.7GB of ram.

My point... any OS needs lots of ram for virtualization, so I do agree more ram would be nice for that.

2IS
Oct 16, 2011, 08:35 PM
Bigger trackpad
Less weight

Good luck with that glass screen AND less weight

Neil McRae
Oct 17, 2011, 02:47 AM
built in 3G is really high on my list. It would also nice to have a built in ethernet port. but keeping the current form factors should be the prime objective.

risc
Oct 17, 2011, 03:15 AM
A real GPU option, more RAM, card reader on the 11", better battery life on the 11", HD camera, and 3G. They'd all be nice.

But...

Seriously though I couldn't care less, the 11" MBA is the best notebook I've ever used... and I've used a lot!

GekkePrutser
Oct 17, 2011, 04:41 AM
thunderbolt to ethernet adapter - when is this going to be offered by apple? I'm shocked honestly that it isn't available now. I absolutely require an ethernet port for work and I'm willing to use an adapter but I'd like to keep my much more valuable usb ports as well as have high speed gigabit ethernet.

Yeah i was surprised that didn't come out alongside the new Airs...

I bet Apple thought of it but that they deemed it too expensive. If even a point-to-point Thunderbolt cable has to cost $50 because of the active chips in the connectors, then what about something that actually does something? They wouldn't be able to sell it for $29 like the current USB ones and I guess the market would be too low then.

mortenandersen
Oct 17, 2011, 06:29 AM
I hope that the 2012 model will include a SIM-card slot and also have a WHITE alternative model. And better battery time.

Abazigal
Oct 17, 2011, 07:23 AM
Do you realise that all these options cost money, and would be overkill for the majority of us casual users? :p

Jobsian
Oct 17, 2011, 02:58 PM
I hope that the 2012 model will include a SIM-card slot and also have a WHITE alternative model. And better battery time.I think there was a rumor about that some time back, but couldn't keep the whites to Jobs' liking a la iphone. Can't remember the origins of it.

Stingray454
Oct 17, 2011, 04:58 PM
My top items:

- 8Gb RAM. Major thing. Doing anything but casual surfing (ie, work) quickly fills up my 4Gb I have today. Sure, it works fine, but 8Gb would give much better work environment where I can leave my apps that I use a lot open all day.

- GPU. I got the 2010 Air and the 320M is ALMOST enough. I can play games, but there is stuttering when lots of things happen. Framerates are acceptable but not as high as I'd like. Just a bit more oompf and I'd be happy. Hope Ivy Bridge sorts this :)

- Improved battery life. This is a minor thing, but the battery does drain quite fast, especially when used with a 3G modem om the road.

- Better screen (oled?). Also minor, I like the screen on my current Air, but viewing angles and color representation could be a bit better. Love that it hasn't got glass though - not as glossy as the Pro.

Other than that, I'm extremely satisfied. CPU is enough most of the time even on my C2D, haven't even tried the i7 but can't imagine I would need more than that. Size and form are excellent - card reader can be used in USB the few times you need it, and I have little use for a 3g modem. Will very likey upgrade when the next Air comes out.

Yinmay
Oct 17, 2011, 05:38 PM
11" discontinued. Both models replaced with smaller form factor 13" thanks to very thin bezel.

$999 with 64GB and 4GB
$1,199 with 124GB
$1,499 with 256GB and built-in 4G

10h battery life.

Also hoping for significantly better GPU performance in Ivybridge vs Sandybridge.

giolicious
Oct 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
Here are my top wish list for the next Macbook Air:

Retina Display or better pixel density
FaceTime HD
USB 3.0
Better keyboard lighting - illuminate the letters/numbers/characters ONLY please!
Siri

LeandrodaFL
Oct 18, 2011, 10:56 PM
It came to the point where it will simply evolve internally

So lets hope for that crazy ivy bridge i7 model as a standart

Stingray454
Oct 19, 2011, 07:37 AM
Also hoping for significantly better GPU performance in Ivybridge vs Sandybridge.

Googled this a bit a while ago since I hoped for the same thing. Sadly, the performance seems quite lackluster still. It was a 10-30% increase over the HD3000 available in sandy bridge (think the 30% was for the higher watt CPU's, so probably closer to 10%). Wouldn't mind a bit more boost :(

jvmxtra
Oct 23, 2011, 05:01 PM
Higher res + resolution independence from osx lion

8 gig memory(although this is not THAT important as if you are running that much on ultra portable lappy, chances are, your precious one is burning.. and I don't want that.. I rather move my task to my iMac.

better screen(although this doesn't matter too much either as I really don't care for wider viewing angle when I am bringing mine to outside where other can see what the hell I am doing on the screen from far away from the side. hell no.

better battery(10+ hour would be freaking superb)

-- MOST important, can you please come out ASAP? Now that I have decided to hang onto my 2009 late MB, I am dying for the MBA to come out....

Obviously better GPU like everyone else is saying.

whew...... W/ other ultra portable notebook coming out left and right, I hope apple really keep pace w/ other company and not do this 4s crap they did w/ iPhone. (which I STILL got for both me and my wife)

IF mr.Cook screw this up again, man o man.. Rumors will be starting to fly around everywhere...

kazmac
Oct 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
8GB RAM

Better Brightness controls: The 11" MBA was so bright, it was painful.

More storage

and definitely more battery life.

When I tested the 2010 MBA by writing with the trackpad I was gobbling up 8-10% battery life an hour with nothing else running. If that could be cut down to 5% an hour, great.

lykranian
Oct 24, 2011, 02:48 AM
q

cactus33
Oct 24, 2011, 06:26 AM
15" Air with external DVD drive/Desktop calibre Graphics card connected via thunderbold (same form factor as a mini/current external DVD drive)

Thats what I want to see.

Confuzzzed
Oct 24, 2011, 06:28 AM
My vote goes for FaceTime HD and longer battery life on the 11' in particular (have a 13' because of battery life but if I could get 7-8 hours on the 11', I would not think twice to upgrade to next year's model). Personally I am not bothered about better display or HD display. The one I have on my 2011 is perfectly good enough but having HD camera would be a real improvement.

Jim A
Oct 24, 2011, 07:34 AM
15" Air with external DVD drive/Desktop calibre Graphics card connected via thunderbold (same form factor as a mini/current external DVD drive)

+1
+ More RAM and storage
+ USB3
and a battery that can last longer

KPOM
Oct 24, 2011, 08:39 AM
This is a long shot, but I'd like a smaller bezel to fit a 12.5" 1440x900 screen in the smaller model, and a 13.5-14" 1600x900 screen in the larger model.

Beyond that, we know Ivy Bridge will be standard, meaning USB 3.0 is highly likely (it's built into Ivy Bridge). I don't expect any other changes to the form factor until at least 2013. However, we might see a 6GB or 8GB option, either of which would be welcome.

glhiii
Oct 24, 2011, 09:36 AM
8 GB Ram, better graphics processor. I returned a top-of-the line 11-inch I bought because it was so much slower than my 2011 MBP (with a hybrid drive). I had intended to sell the MBP but ended up keeping it and using it with a thunderbolt monitor.

jamesr19
Oct 24, 2011, 11:03 AM

Thunderbolt dock would be awesome with this or an even better Thunderbolt display!

You can buy (well coming soon - Magma) Thunderbolt to PCI so you can add USB 3 & a graphics card to hook up to an external monitor. These are going to be good but you're looking at $1000+ when you've added a graphics card! Not really for the mass market right now!

dlimes13
Oct 24, 2011, 11:09 AM
Here's what I want:

8GB RAM option
64GB SSD gone and 512 an option, just for kicks
Better graphics
Battery life to 7+ on 11, 9+ on 13.

You present that to me on a 13 inch (8GB RAM and some type of better graphics, 256MB AMD?) and I'm all in.

jsolares
Oct 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
I have a 2011 Air, and the only reason i would change it would be if the new one had 8GB of RAM but i doubt it, maybe for haswell

hansimglueck
Oct 24, 2011, 06:17 PM
Regarding my needs the actual basic 11' MBA is close to perfection and primarily suffers from too short of a battery life.
Thus all I long for are the following improvements sorted from greatest to least importance.
The actual price should be left untoched.

Urgendly needed:
Ivy Bridge - most importantly for the reduced power consumption.
A boost in CPU & GPU power as well as USB 3.0 isn't needed but they are a nice bonus.
More powerful batteries and/or more batteries.
Steady improvements to both the hard- & software to further reduce the power consumption of the whole system.

Nice to have, not necesserily needed and unlikely:
Greater display resolution, maybe even reaching the iPad 2 ppi depth or more.
No more fan, making the MBA into a noiseless machine
4GB RAM
128GB SSD

Whorehay
Oct 24, 2011, 07:02 PM
I love my 2010 11" MBA, but here are some improvements I'm hoping for:

1) Better WiFi performance. I'm not sure what the issue is, but it's definitely worse than my other devices.
2) More hard drive space. I'm holding out for when the MBA can be optioned to 512GB. I've got the 128GB right now, and I'm at 17GB free with a 40GB partition and all my videos and half of my pictures stored on an external drive.
3) More RAM? I'll take 8GB as an option.
4) Bigger battery! I actually don't mind the battery so much, it seems to last a good 4-5 hours of usage, and that's generally all I need. But it would be nice to have a 7-8 hr. battery life to really have that cushion!

ECUpirate44
Oct 24, 2011, 07:03 PM
15 inch MBA would be sweet.

shadowjeff
Oct 24, 2011, 11:30 PM
Just wondering, why is everyone mentioning that ivy bridge is going to the mba next year?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I haven't seen any ivy bridge cpu-powered laptops or desktops in the market yet and when sandy bridge came out back then, mba did not adopt it in the same year and they only refreshed it with a core2duo cpu (?). So isn't the chance of ivy bridge cpu coming out next year pretty low?

lykranian
Oct 25, 2011, 01:34 AM
q

Zeov
Oct 25, 2011, 02:12 AM
What games run on 8gb ram-?

lykranian
Oct 25, 2011, 02:30 AM
q

theSeb
Oct 25, 2011, 05:48 AM
8 GB Ram
Improved battery life
USB 3

----------

Just wondering, why is everyone mentioning that ivy bridge is going to the mba next year?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I haven't seen any ivy bridge cpu-powered laptops or desktops in the market yet and when sandy bridge came out back then, mba did not adopt it in the same year and they only refreshed it with a core2duo cpu (?). So isn't the chance of ivy bridge cpu coming out next year pretty low?

Sandy Bridge mobile CPUs became available around the beginning of 2011. I am not sure what year you think Sandy Bridge became available. The ultra-low voltage SB variants only became available mid-way through this year and that's when the MBA was refreshed.

convergent
Oct 25, 2011, 08:09 AM
Virtualization. Windows 7 likes ram. This is the only reason why the MBA is not even a consideration for me at this point.

Win7 flies via Parallels in the current MBA. It may drive the swap file up a little, but its swapping to SSD which is just as fast. I would only want 8G of RAM if it didn't add to the price and reduce the batter life.

RickG
Oct 25, 2011, 08:58 AM
how about some built in 4g wireless from verizon or att ???

theSeb
Oct 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
how about some built in 4g wireless from verizon or att ???

I am kind of in two minds about this when I can easily tether to a phone or the mifi type devices. Do we really need it?

ecib
Oct 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
Personally, I'm not trading my MBA in until I get a retina display and 12+ hours of battery life.

Those two things are the largest x-factors as far as UI and performance that impact my real-wold use of the device.

I can't think of other features that would give me something I don't already have on a scale that would make me sell my current machine.

Jezak
Oct 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
Keeping in mind this is more of a wishlist than anything else.

8gb of RAM (at least an option) on both the 11 and 13. I would settle for the 13 if necessary. :)

Maintain the 11inch form factor but equip the computer with a screen that is large enough to remove most of the bezel around my current display. This would go a long way to address any fatigue I have on the 11inch screen.

Extended battery life on the 11inch. Anything they could do here, would be great.

15inch option. This would be ideal for my wife and should be far lighter than her current Macbook Pro.

MacFever
Oct 27, 2011, 09:50 AM
When would the next revision be likely released with ivybridge? what month?

I see intel has begun mass production of ivybridge chipsets for OEM's already. So I'm sure some PC company's will be adopting this board before Apple does.

I'd like to see

- USB 3.0 ports (because like it or not, usb 3.0 will out number thunderbolt devices.) I like the speed of thunderbolt but the adoption is not as quick as usb.

- 8 GB ram for virtual machines.

- 6 MB L3 cache

- Less Heat than current models.

aaarrrgggh
Oct 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
My only priority is more RAM. Everything else is just nice-to-have on my end. Can't upgrade until they have 8GB available, and would hope for a faster processor at the same time.

Swerrrvin
Oct 29, 2011, 06:54 PM
8 gigs of ram - 4 gigs while cozy and comfortable isn't roomy

Better Wi-Fi - Sensitivity and range are limited. Possibly because of lack of third (3x3) antennae

More screen brightness range - particularly on the low end, the lowest setting is still quite bright...

mortenandersen
Oct 29, 2011, 10:36 PM
hansimglueck wrote: "No more fan, making the MBA into a noiseless machine"

That would really be both possible (doable) and fantastic! And I would also like to have a white model as an option.

wrinkster22
Oct 29, 2011, 10:39 PM
siri

halledise
Oct 29, 2011, 11:48 PM
I don't get it with this obsession with 8gb of memory in an Air

when there was 2gb many were urging 4gb
now there's 4gb people are urging 8gb

so when there's an 8gb option available in perhaps the next revision or so, some people will be squealing about how it should be standard and not an expensive option or else saying we need 16gb to have room to move.

the current iteration of 13" Airs are sufficiently specced up for just about any user's tasks - because of the sensible matching of graphics, memory processor and flash storage.
if you require more, then buy a MBPro with dedicated graphics and option to upgrade the memory

DemonicZeus
Oct 29, 2011, 11:50 PM
More HDD space, more memory available, and also Siri :D

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-6.301628,106.682904

couto27
Oct 30, 2011, 12:20 AM
ivy bridge

8gb ram user upgradable or 8gb ram cto

faster ssd

trim support (third party ssd )

usb 3.0

cache 6mb

large vent (ivy bridge runs hotter than sandy )

:apple: 50% discount apple care, when buying in apple store :apple:

mark28
Oct 30, 2011, 02:46 AM
Only improvement i'd really care about would be a better and/or dedicated GPU. This will boost overall system performance because of OpenCL & also hopefully bring us back to a respectable gaming system on the go.

A 15" air would be cool too :-)

Ivy Bridge GPU is 2 times faster than the Sandy Bridge GPU. So you'll see a big upgrade in GPU performance.

fyrefly
Oct 30, 2011, 12:47 PM
Bigger trackpad
Less weight

You want a glass screen and less weight? What fantasy planet are you living on? Glass weighs substantially more then plastic. And would make the MBA screen into a mirror just like the MBP screens. No thanks.

Here are my top wish list for the next Macbook Air:

Retina Display or better pixel density
FaceTime HD
USB 3.0
Better keyboard lighting - illuminate the letters/numbers/characters ONLY please!
Siri

The problem with all of you guys wanting a "retina display" is that OSX doesn't support resolution independence. Therefore if there was a retina display, all the text and UI element would be 1/2 the size they are today. In short, the OS would be unusable without a magnifying glass included in the box. Until Lion gets resolution independence, it's not gonna happen.

FaceTime HD also seems unlikely, as the MBA screen is 1/2 the thickness of the MBP screens. There's currently no sensor out there that can produce hd video and fit in such a small, thin screen.

tinkori
Oct 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
•Better GPU
•Bigger SSD options
•8GB RAM option

If it had that in the 2012 release I might choose it over the MBP...

+1 .... For me the most important factor is the lack of 8GB option. I run VMs and eclipse etc and I can see my memory requirement go up and swapping to the SSD is not acceptable as it shortens the life of the SSDs.

Brandon0448
Oct 30, 2011, 02:24 PM
I want a full sized desktop eight core processor in it with dual discrete video cards in SLI and a ultra high res display all with 10+ hour battery life. Oh yeah and a finger print scanner to boot. We can all dream can't we?

Stingray454
Oct 30, 2011, 02:24 PM
Ivy Bridge GPU is 2 times faster than the Sandy Bridge GPU. So you'll see a big upgrade in GPU performance.

Source? I've seen figures of about 10-20% (over the HD3000), which would make about the same speed as the old 320M, if not slower.. Would be nice to have a clear answer about Ivy GPU performance. Hope you're right.

netdog
Oct 30, 2011, 02:34 PM
ivy bridge

large vent (ivy bridge runs hotter than sandy)

And where will they put that larger vent?

3dflyboy1
Oct 30, 2011, 02:51 PM
I don't think 8GB RAM is realistic, but would be nice to have. Personally, I think 4GB is plenty. If you need more, that's what a MBP is for. :D

Stingray454
Oct 30, 2011, 03:05 PM
I don't think 8GB RAM is realistic, but would be nice to have. Personally, I think 4GB is plenty. If you need more, that's what a MBP is for. :D

For me, Pro = more CPU power and slots. The air is more lightweight, but it still could really use an 8Gb option imo.

On my current 2010 Air, I really have to "micro-manage" the memory. I want to keep all my 10 (or so) apps open that I use all day, but I can't at the moment with 4Gb. I have to close browser tabs, close apps and so on before opening new apps to avoid excessive swapping. On my desktop I have 8Gb and it feels like a "golden spot" amount.

Jobsian
Oct 30, 2011, 05:05 PM
large vent (ivy bridge runs hotter than sandy )

This is a pity if true, anyone have any link that confirms this?

KPOM
Oct 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
This is a pity if true, anyone have any link that confirms this?

Actually, it should run cooler since it's built on the 22nm process.

Jobsian
Oct 30, 2011, 05:40 PM
Actually, it should run cooler since it's built on the 22nm process.
That's what I thought too, but couto stated it as if it were a fact so am now wondering if i've missed something...

couto27
Oct 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
actually i might be wrong.

ivy bridge will be cooler than sandy

Heat
Intel Sandy Bridge obviously runs hot so like the same the full-voltage chips do. The forthcoming Ivy Bridge will be having great facilities to cut back the most concerned heat issue of chips.

http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/ivy-bridge-sandy-bridge-graphics-improvement/

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1212354

subzerORz
Oct 30, 2011, 06:28 PM
i'll pretty much like to see:
- thunderbolt peripheral HDDs (affordable ones)
- macOS X to fix the jumble-up launch pad issue
in other words,
the MBA itself is all-good for me, anything additional is a plus:

- hopefully the faster processor won't heat the casing so much that it'll burn my hand
- 17" is too big to be that thin
- 512GB flash storage would likely be über expansive
- any faster graphics would doubtful to have sustainable battery life
please surprise me, apple :D
:apple:

pancakedrawer
Oct 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
CPU
I'd like to see improvements in the power consumption of the CPU. With battery improvements much slower than CPU improvements, this would be the most logical way to increase battery life.

RAM
I'd like to see 8GB as an option. A user up-gradable solution would be a great option too.

SSD
512GB option would be fantastic.

GPU
Open CL should help here. Improvements welcome for me but not crucial.

Screen
Would love to see some more pixels here but something tells me they will be saved for the Macbook Pros to differentiate them/keep costs down. Some big advancements in this area would be a big selling point for me, especially every time I compare the iPhone4 to the iPhone 3

Battery
I think the processor is the best way to reduce battery life. Just sticking a bigger battery in there will just add to the weight.

Integrated LTE/3G
I'm happy using my iPhone with personal hotspot (free in Australia!)

TB/USB3
USB3 should be implemented now that Ivy has it integrated.

Design
I would like to see a redesign with a smaller bezel and other improvements i'm confident Jony can provide.

Siri
I'd like to see this on my iPhone 4 more than my computer, but could still be cool.

Yr Blues
Oct 31, 2011, 01:55 AM
1. matte retina display
2. matte black aluminum case
3. ?
4. ?
5. profit

twocircles
Oct 31, 2011, 04:22 AM
I doubt it will happen this year, but I would like MBA to have a touchscreen. OS X Lion is obviously set up for it. Apple says it's not all that convenient when working on a desktop, but I work a lot in my lap or low table where it is more convenient to hit the screen than navigate the cursor.

It would be even more convenient if the keyboard was connected through Bluetooth.

DavidC1
Oct 31, 2011, 05:37 AM
Source? I've seen figures of about 10-20% (over the HD3000), which would make about the same speed as the old 320M, if not slower.. Would be nice to have a clear answer about Ivy GPU performance. Hope you're right.

I think I know what benchmark you are talking about. It's the only one there. However, here's what the chip tested are:

Ivy Bridge 2.2GHz, 400-900MHz GPU
Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz, 850-1350MHz GPU

They are saying that Ivy Bridge will clock only slightly lower than Sandy Bridge. Meaning there is a potential for 50% improvement(900MHz vs ~1300MHz) on top of what you see. Each of the EUs are twice as powerful as Sandy Bridge, so the gains might not be 2x, but close to it.

RLesko
Oct 31, 2011, 11:39 AM
I doubt it will happen this year, but I would like MBA to have a touchscreen. OS X Lion is obviously set up for it. Apple says it's not all that convenient when working on a desktop, but I work a lot in my lap or low table where it is more convenient to hit the screen than navigate the cursor.

It would be even more convenient if the keyboard was connected through Bluetooth.

I could not disagree more. For a while now I've been under the impression that touchscreens are becoming excessive, and if they put it in a laptop instead of a trackpad I guess my computing days with apple are over. Who would seriously want to lift their hand up and touch the screen to do basic actions?

Consider this: Going from the keyboard to trackpad is an effortless motion, just movement of the wrist. When using a computer, lifting your hand up to push the screen every time you want to do a mouse behavior would be downright infuriating. Not to mention you'd smudge the hell out of the screen. As is, launchpad is the most useless feature I've ever seen integrated into an OS, when command+space works infinitely better.

austinguy23
Oct 31, 2011, 09:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ivy Bridge, 15" gorgeous display, and fast 6 Gbps SSD as opposed to the crippled 3 Gbps SSD.

twocircles
Nov 1, 2011, 01:04 AM
I could not disagree more. For a while now I've been under the impression that touchscreens are becoming excessive, and if they put it in a laptop instead of a trackpad I guess my computing days with apple are over. Who would seriously want to lift their hand up and touch the screen to do basic actions?

Consider this: Going from the keyboard to trackpad is an effortless motion, just movement of the wrist. When using a computer, lifting your hand up to push the screen every time you want to do a mouse behavior would be downright infuriating. Not to mention you'd smudge the hell out of the screen. As is, launchpad is the most useless feature I've ever seen integrated into an OS, when command+space works infinitely better.

I hear what you are saying, and when I am typing, I agree. However, I read a lot of pdf files and mark them up, and I browse web sites quite a bit. My hands are not always on my keyboard and frequently my screen has migrated closer to me, so my trackpad is at an inconvenient angle. It would be easier to navigate and select by touching the screen.

Having said that, you are right, I would not want to give up my trackpad for almost everything else.

couto27
Nov 1, 2011, 01:53 AM
for 2012

mb air > ARM
mb air 11 > intel
mb air 13 > ARM
mb air 13 > intel

new mbp13 re-design with upgradable ram user. (similar to mb air design)
new mbp 15 re-design with a dedicated video card (similar to mb air design)

hansimglueck
Nov 15, 2011, 09:37 AM
Do you think it is likely Apple will build a HSDPA/LTE modul in their upcomming Airs?

MacModMachine
Nov 15, 2011, 10:14 AM
i think a hybrid arm / ivy bridge setup would be sweet, live switching and be able to use ivy bridge and drive video on the arm's SGX video.

would be an amazing laptop, also 8gb ddr3 would be sweet and larger SSD's.

no usb 3.0 wouldn't worry me , but thunderbolt accessories have to come down in price, i see a company producing a thunderbolt to pcie x16 external card enclosure to use really high end video cards on thunderbolt mac's.

kas23
Nov 15, 2011, 10:16 AM
What's up with people wanting Siri on their laptop? Would you really be willing to speak to your laptop while out in public, say a coffee shop? I didn't realize people were so adverse to dragging their finger across the trackpad, clicking, and typing on a full-sized keyboard. I assume these are the people who don't already have an iPhone 4S and still think Siri is the best thing since sliced bread.

Cicatrix
Nov 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
8 GB Ram
512 SSD
usb3
and no more tapered! Uniformly thin all around.

regan20
Nov 19, 2011, 08:37 AM
Minimal fan noise and heat.

Stein357
Nov 19, 2011, 09:19 PM
Battery life is at the top of my list. Obviously I'd like to see a bump in performance but that's a given. I'd like to see the keyboard have a similar feel to the MPB, and a black bezel, I think it would look better.

darkknightcol
Nov 20, 2011, 10:50 AM
500+ GB ssd
8gb Ram
longer battery life
larger screen : smaller bezel
Quieter : reduced noise

I hope Im not dreaming too much:p

szolr
Nov 20, 2011, 10:56 AM
It's interesting see what features everyone would most like to see. You should add a poll to see what everyone's top upgrade would be-Ivy Bridge, bigger SSD, 15 inch screen option etc. :)

Personally I'd be thrilled with an Ivy Bridge CPU. That would, as a matter of course, bring along USB 3. 512 GB SSD as an option would also be brilliant. Ivy Bridge would bring a modest bump in graphics performance and that suits me. I don't see the need for a dedicated graphics card in the Air.

Jobsian
Jan 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
Minimal fan noise and heat.
Mind if I ask which model and processor you have? Because I literally have none of the above in my 2010 11" 1.6GHz C2D.

BadaBing!!
Jan 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Mind if I ask which model and processor you have? Because I literally have none of the above in my 2010 11" 1.6GHz C2D.

I have the 13in mid-2011 with 1.7Ghz and yes, the fan sound is loud WHEN it runs full speed (which happens rarely with the use I do)

GekkePrutser
Jan 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
Do you think it is likely Apple will build a HSDPA/LTE modul in their upcomming Airs?

Likely, no. It would probably require a black 'window' in the lid, like the iPad's, which I don't see them doing (I don't think the black WiFi window between the hinges would do, and it's not recommended placing both WiFi and 3G antennas in the same place anyway).

But yes I would love to see it happen too.

Augure
Jan 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
People need to stop dreaming. We already know from simple studies and analysis of past updates and current component market what the next MBA can or cannot be.

What the 13" will be
1. 1.8 Ghz Dual-core ivy5
This is the only processor compatible and relevant according to leaked specs by Intel

2. 4Go memory 1600Hz
Apple is already upgrading RAM from 1333Hz to 1600Hz compatible with Ivy bridge, 8go will only be an option

3. Intel HD 4000
Ivy bridge comes with this new card that is not much more powerful, just more energy efficient. And it's currently impossible to add a GPU to an ultrabook

4.128gb SSD or 256gb SSD if the 15" is released
It's been two generation that the entry Macbook Air 13" has add a 128GB SSD, and because the price as decreased (from 300$ to 500$ for a domestic external 256GB SSD) BUT there are chances Apple calibrates its product line with the 15" so they don't have to upgrade the storage.

5. Two USB 3 ports
It's about time and Ivy bridge is calibrated for usb 3

6. 8 - 10 hours
The battery is probably going to be longer up to 9 - 10 hours but it also depends on other energy consuming component Apple might use like...

(7. Higher resolution screen)
It would seem logical and possible that Apple update it's screen resolution, but because the market is not yet heading in that direction, and Apple has already bumped MBA resolution compared to MBP, it's unlikely

That's about all we can expect. I personaly wish for a 256GB SSD, 4Go Ram is ok, more is better but unlikely, a better Wifi card because it's horrible on Macbooks, HD camera is possible and welcomed AND better graphic performance because I'm tired of not even being able to emulate a Playstation 2 or Gamecube released 10 years ago :/

Then there are crazy ideas, like 3G chip, smaller bezel, lighter material or touch screen, that Apple will never meet because they don't innovate or listen to trendsetters and smart customer anymore.

Dynax
Jan 11, 2012, 06:13 PM
For gods sake - they better come back with a GPU that doesn't suck as much as the HD3000! Only this.

deadwalrus
Jan 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
3. Intel HD 4000
Ivy bridge comes with this new card that is not much more powerful, just more energy efficient. And it's currently impossible to add a GPU to an ultrabook

My only point of disagreement. Ivy Bridge is heavily focused on improving the graphics performance, and in fact it includes a new graphics architecture. Various benchmarks have shown that the Ivy Bridge GPU is 1.6 to 2 times as fast as that of the Sandy Bridge. See, e.g., 1 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4763/ivy-bridge-gpu-performance-up-to-60-faster-than-snb-better-quicksync), 2 (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-sandy-bridge,14144.html), 3 (http://blog.laptopmag.com/intel-ivy-bridge-graphics-70-stronger-chips-will-support-nfc-and-offer-built-in-security). This is due to die shrink, improved architecture, and more EU units.

John.B
Jan 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
Looking forward to the faster SSDs:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/11/the-macbook-air-samsung-ssd-is-about-to-get-twice-as-fast/

Also OpenCL support in Ivy Bridge and 8 GB of RAM.

Oh, and a HiDPI display (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/21/os-x-10-7-3-beta-reveals-active-work-on-retina-display-support-for-mac/), if it's not too much trouble. :cool:

Because Adobe Lightroom is a memory pig. :o

GekkePrutser
Jan 12, 2012, 05:18 AM
People need to stop dreaming. We already know from simple studies and analysis of past updates and current component market what the next MBA can or cannot be.

What the 13" will be
This is the only processor compatible and relevant according to leaked specs by Intel

2. 4Go memory 1600Hz
Apple is already upgrading RAM from 1333Hz to 1600Hz compatible with Ivy bridge, 8go will only be an option

3. Intel HD 4000

It's been two generation that the entry Macbook Air 13" has add a 128GB SSD, and because the price as decreased (from 300$ to 500$ for a domestic external 256GB SSD) BUT there are chances Apple calibrates its product line with the 15" so they don't have to upgrade the storage.

5. Two USB 3 ports

6. 8 - 10 hours
The battery is probably going to be longer up to 9 - 10 hours but it also depends on other energy consuming component Apple might use like...

It would seem logical and possible that Apple update it's screen resolution, but because the market is not yet heading in that direction, and Apple has already bumped MBA resolution compared to MBP, it's unlikely

That's about all we can expect. I personaly wish for a 256GB SSD, 4Go Ram is ok, more is better but unlikely, a better Wifi card because it's horrible on Macbooks, HD camera is possible and welcomed AND better graphic performance because I'm tired of not even being able to emulate a Playstation 2 or Gamecube released 10 years ago :/

Then there are crazy ideas, like 3G chip, smaller bezel, lighter material or touch screen, that Apple will never meet because they don't innovate or listen to trendsetters and smart customer anymore.

I totally agree with your expectations. It's all we can expect.

I don't agree with the statement that Apple don't innovate though. For starters, the whole ultrabook hype is a complete ripoff of their new MacBook Air design (you only need to look at most of the Ultrabooks to see why). If Apple doesn't innovate, then why does everyone follow them so closely? I know ultraportables have been done before but Apple has brought them to this scale with the Unibody design.

And Apple has never listened to customers and focus groups, they've always done what they thought best. There's a quote in Steve Jobs' biography somewhere that explains why, basically because customers don't want things that don't exist yet.

JohnnyQuest
Jan 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
512GB HD
6-8 GB RAM
Glass display
15" variety
Better FaceTime camera
Maybe a dark grey or black model? (still aluminum, just darker)

neilpryde23
Jan 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
512GB HD
6-8 GB RAM
Glass display
15" variety
Better FaceTime camera
Maybe a dark grey or black model? (still aluminum, just darker)

^GIVE ME THIS!! (i like the darker aluminum idea too)

XX55XX
Jan 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
I would like to see 6GB to 8GB of RAM standard. And a faster SSD. Of course, I don't plan to purchase a new computer till Haswell is out.

KohPhiPhi
Jan 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
What the 13" will be:

2. 4Go memory 1600Hz

3. Intel HD 4000

5. Two USB 3 ports

6. 8 - 10 hours

It would seem logical and possible that Apple update it's screen resolution, but because the market is not yet heading in that direction, and Apple has already bumped MBA resolution compared to MBP, it's unlikely.

That's about all we can expect.

I 100% agree with these expectations. This is exactly what I have in mind myself. I also doubt they will change the current physical form, it's fine as it is other than the thick bezel (please apple, make it a bit thinner, or increase the screensize from 13" to 14" and from 11" to 12").

klover
Jan 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
Higher gamut display and improved GPU. I'd love if Apple could jam a lower end discrete GPU in the 13".

Jobsian
Jan 14, 2012, 06:57 AM
802.11ac (gigabit) wifi (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/80211ac-gigabit-wi-fi-devices-will-be-shipping-in-2012/1867)

LAS.mac
Jan 14, 2012, 08:03 AM
+1 to better battery life (at least a la ipad), optional 8 Gb RAM, and 3G connection.

Cliff3
Jan 14, 2012, 08:39 AM
I'd buy one today if I could get it with 8GB of RAM. An anti-glare screen would be very desirable to me as well. If they offer a 15" MBA, I'd probably buy it as I am currently on my 3rd 15" PB/MBP and I like the size. The switch to Ivy Bridge should hopefully improve thermal characteristics and battery life, and I understand the on-board GPU is an improvement over the current GPU. A 256GB internal drive is adequate for my laptop needs, but then my other computer is a Mac Pro, and I have a NAS with 5.5TB of storage where I can park files. I carry a 4G wifi hotspot and don't plan to change that, so any internal cellular modem would be a waste for me.

Jobsian
Jan 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
802.11ac (gigabit) wifi (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/80211ac-gigabit-wi-fi-devices-will-be-shipping-in-2012/1867)
Especially for this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1312849)

vsighi
Jan 24, 2012, 09:39 AM

What the 13" will be

2. 4Go memory 1600Hz

3. Intel HD 4000

5. Two USB 3 ports

6. 8 - 10 hours

This is just perfect.

Ice Dragon
Jan 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
8 GB RAM option and a faster SSD. Also make the minimum 4 GB RAM and a 128 GB SSD.

jouster
Jan 24, 2012, 07:03 PM
for 2012

mb air > ARM
mb air 11 > intel
mb air 13 > ARM
mb air 13 > intel

new mbp13 re-design with upgradable ram user. (similar to mb air design)
new mbp 15 re-design with a dedicated video card (similar to mb air design)

The Intel processors would be far more powerful and would not require software to be rewritten. So it's hard to see the advantage of your proposed lineup.

anirudh
Jan 24, 2012, 09:55 PM
2012 Macbook Air - What would you like to see?

Abysmal battery life, loose hinges, degraded screen quality and overheating/ underperforming processor. Oh, and exploding batteries would be an added bonus.

Why you ask? So that I feel even better about owning a recently purchased 2011 Air ;) Schadenfreude!!! :D

happyslayer
Jan 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
Love my 2011 MBA. But the battery life is a lot worse than my previous 2010 model. Of course it also has a lot more powerful hardware but I miss the plug free time I used to get. So definitely want better battery life! Preferably 6-8 hours.

2IS
Jan 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
The Intel processors would be far more powerful and would not require software to be rewritten. So it's hard to see the advantage of your proposed lineup.

Agreed, ARM is fabulous for phones and tablets but nowhere near as powerful as i3/i5/i7 the question really is about several years into the future. It will be interesting to see if its easier to engineer x86 for super low power consumption or Make arm much more powerful while maintaining its power and thermal characteristics.

kegler
Jan 25, 2012, 05:10 AM
touch screen and a swivel lcd to make it a tablet :D

hleewell
Jan 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
1) 512 GB SSD, option: 1 TB, baby !!!
2) Screen with better contrast
3) Longer battery life, an "honest to God" 8 hrs!

O yea, a revolutionary feature:

4) The ability to switch from Intel power-guzzling iCore chips
to ARM-like processing for long hours of Internet browsing.
12 hours of Internet browsing with 3G!

Boe11
Jan 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
I'd like to see.

1. 8gb memory option
2. 3g/LTE

Between the inevitable upgrades and this, I think it would be about perfect :) Maybe an sd card slot on the 11 but that's not that important and probably unlikely to happen.

GezDaFez
Jan 25, 2012, 11:28 AM
OK, so a lot of people are asking for lighter laptops with more battery life, and possible a smaller form factor.

I think reducing the form factor will make it harder to increase battery life. I also think that the battery on next MBA will be the same or better.

How about reducing the bezel size. The 11" is effectively discontinued, and becomes the 13"

The 13" screen is increased to 15". Form factor stays the same, battery improvements offset the increased drain from the 15" screen.

Feasible?

neilpryde23
Jan 25, 2012, 12:53 PM
Assuming there will be a 15" model, i just hope that it will have an option for 8 GB of RAM. I'm not too concerned with SSD size options since I can upgrade that myself but since I cannot add more RAM myself and I plan on having this for several years as my main computer (senior year of college then med school), I would not want to risk the possibility of 4GB of RAM being too small and slowing me down in the future.

jmpnop
Jan 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
-Better quality screen
-Better GPU, CPU, battery
-4GB RAM and 128GB SSD standard
-Option for 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM

I'm sure Apple won't do all of it because they have to hold something for the next gen..(backlit keyboard for instance wasn't there in 2010 model):rolleyes:

motorazr
Jan 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
I feel like I'm the only person who's really, really happy with the screen on the 11" even though I do wish it were higher-resolution yet... but... considering how much I hate glossy displays, I'm quite happy.

I've got the 2011, 11" with an i7. That said,

Battery life is my one fear .. If I'm doing anything powerful, I can run through the battery in around 2 hours or less. My 2010 15" Macbook Pro (2.66 i7) previously achieved about 3 hours under heavy load, but again, that was a much larger machine too.

I'd love to see the 11" achieve a 7 hour rating instead of 5. I know it's a tiny machine, but I'm sure apple could come up with something.

Oh, and the fan. It's quick to come on and it's really loud. Again, I know, I've got an i7 to cool, but I feel like it's really loud for a mac, having owned MANY apple laptops.

Final want is the obvious 512GB option. Granted I'm doing great with 256GB (considering my iMac has a 3TB external that's about full and a 1TB internal with >200 free....) .. but the 512 is a no-brainer.

jterp7
Jan 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
-Better quality screen
-Better GPU, CPU, battery
-4GB RAM and 128GB SSD standard
-Option for 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM

I'm sure Apple won't do all of it because they have to hold something for the next gen..(backlit keyboard for instance wasn't there in 2010 model):rolleyes:

lol if they can fit 14" 1050p into the 13MBA frame then great. It means my bookarc won't be useless when I hand it off to the wife -_-

----------

I feel like I'm the only person who's really, really happy with the screen on the 11" even though I do wish it were higher-resolution yet... but... considering how much I hate glossy displays, I'm quite happy.

I've got the 2011, 11" with an i7. That said,

Battery life is my one fear .. If I'm doing anything powerful, I can run through the battery in around 2 hours or less. My 2010 15" Macbook Pro (2.66 i7) previously achieved about 3 hours under heavy load, but again, that was a much larger machine too.

I'd love to see the 11" achieve a 7 hour rating instead of 5. I know it's a tiny machine, but I'm sure apple could come up with something.

Oh, and the fan. It's quick to come on and it's really loud. Again, I know, I've got an i7 to cool, but I feel like it's really loud for a mac, having owned MANY apple laptops.

Final want is the obvious 512GB option. Granted I'm doing great with 256GB (considering my iMac has a 3TB external that's about full and a 1TB internal with >200 free....) .. but the 512 is a no-brainer.

I want 512gb too..but at current costs, that upgrade alone is the price of a base 11 air.

----------

OK, so a lot of people are asking for lighter laptops with more battery life, and possible a smaller form factor.

I think reducing the form factor will make it harder to increase battery life. I also think that the battery on next MBA will be the same or better.

How about reducing the bezel size. The 11" is effectively discontinued, and becomes the 13"

The 13" screen is increased to 15". Form factor stays the same, battery improvements offset the increased drain from the 15" screen.

Feasible?

edge to edge screen using the current form factor would be problematic without adding protection to the screen. Maybe a special thin version of the corning glass?

MacLadybug
Jan 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
325 GB SSD
A good bump in processor speed
15” display

That would make it perfect for me. But whatever the specs, if one comes out at 15” I’m going to pull the trigger.

onthecouchagain
Jan 25, 2012, 10:42 PM
Does a higher resolution screen mean things will be smaller, but sharper? ANd if so, how is this necessarily better for viewing? Besides obviously having more space to fit more stuff on the screen, does a higher resolution (but smaller text, etc) make things easier to read, see? Does it make the colors better?

I'm a little confused.

Jaro65
Jan 26, 2012, 01:10 AM
Give me 8GB of RAM. Please. And Sir Ive, do you think you could shrink this relatively massive border around my screen? How about a 12" MBA and a 14" MBA using the same chassis? It really is ok if the lid needs to be 1mm thicker to accommodate the larger panel.

damir00
Jan 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
CPU already powerful enough for what it is - add an A6 instead and have it be bth OSX and iOS.

KohPhiPhi
Jan 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Give me 8GB of RAM. Please. And Sir Ive, do you think you could shrink this relatively massive border around my screen? How about a 12" MBA and a 14" MBA using the same chassis? It really is ok if the lid needs to be 1mm thicker to accommodate the larger panel.

that is EXACTLY what I want myself too.
8gb RAM
Either smaller screen border or increase the screen size (and resolution) to 12" and 14"
Better battery, specially for the 11" air

Augure
Jan 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
People need to stop dreaming. UPDATED

We already know from simple studies and analysis of past updates and current component market what the next MBA can or cannot be.

What the 13" will be
2. 4Go memory 1600Hz
3. Intel HD 4000
5. Two USB 3 ports
6. 8 - 10 hours

After some researches, here are others details that might change on the upcoming Macbook Air

(8. iSight HD)
I've seen this many times in the comment, and the iSight with the crappy VGA resolution has been around for so long. I've seen many people complain about it, so Apple might indeed upgrade it.

(9. Wifi 802.11ac)
So this new standards is supposedly way more efficient at delivering wireless connection, plus the Macbook really NEEDS it or maybe another Wifi card because it is pretty terrible. It eats a little more energy but the ivy bridge makes it okay.

(10. Dark Mate body)
This might seem unlikely but it's the next logical step in terms of Industrial Design and trend forcast. I saw someone comment on this and remembered that I also wanted this a while ago. The grey aluminium unibody as been around for so long, and because of the competition we might either see this or...

(11. Thinner &/or Lighter body)
Strategically Apple might either make the Macbook Air change color or make it thinner to mark a change, because the competition has highly attacked the ultrabook market. This afternoon I played with an Asus ultrabook that was as thin, and way lighter than the Macbook Air, and it's only January.
__
That's it. No there won't be smaller bezel, touchscreen, firewire, graphic GPU, hybrid HDD, 12 or 14" screen, Sim Card tray, 1 TB storage, ARM processing etc...
As I said in a previous post, according to Apple past upgrades, current component market, and Apples market strategy that this list is the only update we can hope for...

*Legend: 1 to 6 are for sure, 7 to 11 are (uncertain) but possible, the rest is impossible/very unlikely

Jaro65
Jan 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
This is EXACTLY what I want to:
8gb RAM
Either smaller screen border or increase the screen size (and resolution) to 12" and 14"
Better battery, specially for the 11" air

Ivy Bridge is going to help with your last item. Looking forward to the first test results.

frviana
Jan 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
I'm overdue to replace my MBP but I'm definitely holding up for the next MBA.

13" is not enough for me mainly because resolution ... I am looking forward to see some increase of pixels on the 13"

Full insert of SD card would be great too.

Improved GPU is definitely a plus I am looking for. Most videos now are 720p and 1080p and any small edition you make consumes quite a bit of resource... with FCPX now making use of GPU I can see some good use on a better GPU.

Hope to see a new MBA before the end of Q1, can't wait to replace of my old MBP 3,1 for a lighter version of it.

Zudeo
Jan 28, 2012, 12:56 AM
I just bought an MBA during the Black Friday sale. I didn't *need* my MacBook 13" 256GB but I love everything about it and I'm happy I took the plunge. The best Ultrabooks on the market don't even compare to the MBA 13.

- however -

I'm still dreading the day that the 2012's get announced. I understand it must be done, and I'll most likely Kijiji this model to get me some USB 3.0 loving.
My expected changes are as follows:

Intel Core i5 DC ULV 3427U @ 1.8GHz. A faster processor is a given.
USB 3.0, I'd say two of them.
Lighter. You can't really get much thinner than this beauty!
Intel GMA HD 4000 is a given. Faster graphics for all.
Increased Battery Life. I'll say a 10 Hour Battery (http://www.mactrast.com/2012/01/new-battery-technology-could-bring-thinner-macbooks-with-double-the-battery-life/) like our red-headed step child (the netbook)

and One More Thing...

12" and 14" models with HiDPI modes. A 1050p increase on the 14" end.

This is what I'm hoping for. Year after year Apple has always come through. (Despite the lacklustre improvements of the iPad 2) Regardless, Apple is the only company I believe that can make this happen.

onthecouchagain
Jan 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
I'd love to see a dedicated forward delete key... the Fn key is so far away from the delete key. It's kind of ridiculous.

I think Apple could either use the little bit of space around the arrow keys, or better yet, move the power button to the side of the keyboard (like how it is on the Macbook Pros) and let the current power button be a dedicated forward delete key.

It would help a lot with writing... :T

Buckeyestar
Jan 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
All I really care about is improved battery life (more like the iPad) and much more hard drive space.

PPFee
Jan 28, 2012, 11:39 PM
I'd love integrated 3G. I don't think a SIM bay has to add much weight, have you ever seen how small the Micro-SIM holder is on the iPad and iPhone? It would take less space even with the radio module than the SD card reader does now. And it would be a lot more useful to me personally.

The only thing I would expect would be a fairly unsightly plastic cover in the lid, just like the iPad 3G currently has. I don't think the plastic gap at the back (where the WiFi antenna is located) would be big enough for a WiFi antenna and a 3G one as well (remember 3G can emit up to 20x more power! And the better view of the outside world the antenna has, the lower the transmit power can be and thus the battery drain). I think this is the real reason why it isn't available yet.
If they did add a 3g modem, I wouldn't mind one bit going to the design of the old powerbooks. I had a aluminum 12" powerbook g4 with the top edge of the sides of the screen having those little spaces of plastic for the antennae, i actually liked it. Oh and also there was that prototype that showed up on the internet that showed the same design but with a retractable design of that space, either would be great IMO, but i don't see it happening.

Stingray454
Jan 29, 2012, 06:48 AM
Increased Battery Life. I'll say a 10 Hour Battery (http://www.mactrast.com/2012/01/new-battery-technology-could-bring-thinner-macbooks-with-double-the-battery-life/) like our red-headed step child (the netbook)

Yeah, not gonna happen. The Ivy is about 20% more performance for the same power usage. Either we get a processor that is 20% faster than today with the same battery time, or we get one (underclocked) that is the same speed as current generation, but takes a bit less power. IF they went with the latter option, which I don't think they will, power savings would probably be less than 20%. If, in a perfect world it was as high as that, that would make about one hour extra battery time (20% of 5 hours).

Sure, batteries improve, and circuit board designs get better too, but we're talking about a few % maximum there as well. Doubling the battery time would require some kind of revolution in battery technology, or a processor that is way underclocked. Your link looks interesting, but I think it will take years before that is on the market, sadly.

Agree about most other things though :) Personally, I'm really hoping for an 8Gb option, 4Gb is just not enough.

mortenandersen
Jan 29, 2012, 08:26 AM
I'd love to see a dedicated forward delete key... the Fn key is so far away from the delete key. It's kind of ridiculous.

I think Apple could either use the little bit of space around the arrow keys, or better yet, move the power button to the side of the keyboard (like how it is on the Macbook Pros) and let the current power button be a dedicated forward delete key.

It would help a lot with writing... :T

I totally agree with you, and really hope that Apple will make the change: Making a keyboard with a forward delete key.

And (sigh....): It would be sooo sad if such a reasonable and needed change would be "resisted" because of some kind of proprietary "principles" about how a keyboard should look like. Really hope not, it would too silly, and totally not-understandable.

Masterfox72
Jan 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
A few small things I'd like:

-HD FaceTime Camera
-Battery indicator like the Pro
-8GB RAM option
-512 GB SSD option
-Move the mic to the center of the air instead of the side

And I'd be happy.

Epic Xbox Revie
Jan 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
I'd like to see and expect:
50% longer battery (7.5 hours (11") / 9 hours (13"))
The minor spec bump with IVY bridge. (1.8Ghz i5 instead of the base 1.6Ghz i5)
USB 3.0 ports
Bluetooth 4.0 radios
option for 8GB RAM
slightly higher resolution screen
slightly thinner/ lighter design
slightly improved camera

Things i'd like to see but are unlikely
increased SSD capacity 128-256-512
double battery (10 hours + )
retina display (250 + dpi)
improved speakers
3G radio/ 4G radio

Zudeo
Jan 29, 2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, not gonna happen. The Ivy is about 20% more performance for the same power usage. Either we get a processor that is 20% faster than today with the same battery time, or we get one (underclocked) that is the same speed as current generation, but takes a bit less power. IF they went with the latter option, which I don't think they will, power savings would probably be less than 20%. If, in a perfect world it was as high as that, that would make about one hour extra battery time (20% of 5 hours).

Sure, batteries improve, and circuit board designs get better too, but we're talking about a few % maximum there as well. Doubling the battery time would require some kind of revolution in battery technology, or a processor that is way underclocked. Your link looks interesting, but I think it will take years before that is on the market, sadly.

Agree about most other things though :) Personally, I'm really hoping for an 8Gb option, 4Gb is just not enough.

I had my optimism glasses on when I wrote the above post. Apple will most likely go with your Option A -- 20% faster CPU with the same Battery Life.

I'd like the battery life to be better, but my main concern would be a better GPU. More ram would help wonders as well. VMWare Fusion is almost unusable with 4GB's of ram.

gentlefury
Jan 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
The only thing I can think that the MBA needs is replace those ancient usb 2 ports with usb 3, and add a discreet graphics chip with dedicated memory...thats about it!

Zudeo
Jan 29, 2012, 08:02 PM
A few small things I'd like:

-HD FaceTime Camera
-Battery indicator like the Pro
-8GB RAM option
-512 GB SSD option
-Move the mic to the center of the air instead of the side

And I'd be happy.

With SSD's as expensive as they were last year, I doubt we'll see 512GB SSD options. 8 GB's ram is more feasible. I think the FaceTime camera on the Air looks atrocious. At least it's low-light performance is; I've never used it in the daylight. :p

The MBP's Battery Indicator is damn sexy. I'll one up you by saying a black glossy bezel like the MBP's would be the most beautiful thing ever.

I've never had a problem with the mic at the side, I kinda like it out of the way but I see your point.

(System-wide spell/grammar check is gorgeous. I <3 my :apple:)

gentlefury
Jan 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
With SSD's as expensive as they were last year, I doubt we'll see 512GB SSD options. 8 GB's ram is more feasible. I think the FaceTime camera on the Air looks atrocious. At least it's low-light performance is; I've never used it in the daylight. :p

The MBP's Battery Indicator is damn sexy. I'll one up you by saying a black glossy bezel like the MBP's would be the most beautiful thing ever.

I've never had a problem with the mic at the side, I kinda like it out of the way but I see your point.

Yeah an updated camera would be nice too.

Mr MM
Jan 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
What I think I will see:

Ports:
-2X USB3

-Thunderbolt

- SD card

- Head/mic combo

CPU:

i5 - 1.7

i7 - 2.0

Storage:

64gb, 128gb, 256gb, 512gb

Ram:

-2gb, 4gb, 8gb

What Im hoping to see:

Higher res display, new tech in battery, thunderbolt egpus, a redesign of the ACD giving it more ports, cheaper thunderbolt cables.

What I want and wont see:

Thinkpad X1 keyboard in it, thats the best damn chiclet keyboard that i ever typed on, and better yet its water resistant, and I actually would want a water resistant mba, it doesnt need to be on the same level as the x220, but I would still want for it have more capability to deal with that

DavidC1
Jan 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
For starters, the whole ultrabook hype is a complete ripoff of their new MacBook Air design (you only need to look at most of the Ultrabooks to see why).

And the Macbook Air itself was derived off the Intel Metro concept:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/05/25/intel.metro.and.macs/

So ultimately Intel has the right to market it as their own brand. It's true that Apple made it popular.

What about the 2.0GHz i7?

3. Intel HD 4000

On the contrary, its supposed to be faster rather than using less power. Sure, it uses less power at the same performance, if that's what you mean, but it'll have better performance. Each units are supposed to be 2x the gain of the previous gen, of course you won't see 2x gains by unit increases alone, but still substantial.

6. 8 - 10 hours

Battery life will increase, but not by a lot. In Ivy Bridge alone will be maybe 5-10%. If the next MBA gets big gains, that will be due to bigger batteries.

I've heard of 2560x1600 resolution on the bigger screen models, that's certainly more than current products right?

Geekbabe
Jan 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
The only thing I can think that the MBA needs is replace those ancient usb 2 ports with usb 3, and add a discreet graphics chip with dedicated memory...thats about it!

Amen!

Mr. Retrofire
Jan 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
What about the 2.0GHz i7?
Only in the 15" prototype (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14132420#post14132420). ;-)

DavidC1
Jan 29, 2012, 10:53 PM
There's no reason why they can't offer a 2.0GHz i7 on a 17W part as the 3667U Ivy Bridge part is exactly that. I imagine you'd be able to get i7 just like you can on the 2011 MBAs.

strwrsfrk
Jan 30, 2012, 10:52 AM
The current generation MacBook Air models have BTO for 1.8GHz i7 (17W part). It seems reasonable to expect the next generation to offer the "replacement" Ivy Bridge part, which clocks in at 2.0 GHz i7-3667u -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture). Though I agree that the 1.8GHz will likely be the base option (and perhaps even underclocked a bit for the 11", unless a mid-range or custom chip is created).

Graphics performance under the HD4000 series is supposed to be, what, 20% - 40% better? Plus Open CL support. It will still be an integrated solution, but should show noticeable gains in performance, particularly for games. (I personally enjoy many games on my MacBook Air; so many good Indie and non-intensive options are available that not running Skyrim or similarly mainstream titles is not a problem).

<rant>
My two cents for the Integrated vs Dedicated argument: Would an integrated solution be nice? Yes, except any implementation would destroy battery life and thermal dissipation abilities. Your MBA would be able to start fires. And simply put, that is not the purpose of the device. "No one should tell me what I can and cannot do with my own machine" is the response I've heard most often. And while that's true, you would not take a screwdriver and argue that it should be optimized for use as a hammer.
</rant>

As for less-concrete wishes, add my vote to the tallies for thinner bezels, 8GB RAM, an affordable 512GB SSD BTO option, and at least one USB 3.0 port.

Battery improvements would be welcome, though I'm in the camp that believes any major, marketable differences we see will be the result of improved/larger battery tech, not CPU tech.

jterp7
Jan 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
The current generation MacBook Air models have BTO for 1.8GHz i7 (17W part). It seems reasonable to expect the next generation to offer the "replacement" Ivy Bridge part, which clocks in at 2.0 GHz i7-3667u -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture). Though I agree that the 1.8GHz will likely be the base option (and perhaps even underclocked a bit for the 11", unless a mid-range or custom chip is created).

Graphics performance under the HD4000 series is supposed to be, what, 20% - 40% better? Plus Open CL support. It will still be an integrated solution, but should show noticeable gains in performance, particularly for games. (I personally enjoy many games on my MacBook Air; so many good Indie and non-intensive options are available that not running Skyrim or similarly mainstream titles is not a problem).

<rant>
My two cents for the Integrated vs Dedicated argument: Would an integrated solution be nice? Yes, except any implementation would destroy battery life and thermal dissipation abilities. Your MBA would be able to start fires. And simply put, that is not the purpose of the device. "No one should tell me what I can and cannot do with my own machine" is the response I've heard most often. And while that's true, you would not take a screwdriver and argue that it should be optimized for use as a hammer.
</rant>

As for less-concrete wishes, add my vote to the tallies for thinner bezels, 8GB RAM, an affordable 512GB SSD BTO option, and at least one USB 3.0 port.

Battery improvements would be welcome, though I'm in the camp that believes any major, marketable differences we see will be the result of improved/larger battery tech, not CPU tech.

which SD card are you using with your air? How's the performance?

cragmr
Jan 30, 2012, 11:35 AM

The USB 3.0 stuff I can agree with, but I wouldn't expect a discreet GPU on the Air any time soon, that is a MBP part.

DavidC1
Jan 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
even underclocked a bit for the 11", unless a mid-range or custom chip is created).

I wonder if Apple will take advantage of configurable TDP and make a even smaller part than the 11"? I know the PC manufacturers will, but will Apple? For some reductions in guaranteed frequency, cTDPdown offers 14W.

Graphics performance under the HD4000 series is supposed to be, what, 20% - 40% better?

I'm willing to bet the MBA parts, the 17W chips will offer graphics performance at least 50% better than the predecessor, with a possibility of 80-90%. The flops will be 2.7x higher, and with 2x texture sampler throughput, along with some other smaller changes.

3DMark Vantage on the desktop parts will score in the 3600-4000 range, and MBA scores ~1700. The 3667U has the same GPU as the desktop parts, only that the CPU will be slower. I assume 3k isn't out of reach.

Ptdr
Jan 30, 2012, 01:37 PM
What is with you guys and USB3?? i thought apple isn't going to do it, they are more trying to push the thunderbolt to become a standard...
Remember what Steve Jobs said about it...(RIP)
Ivybridge support USB3 it's true but Ivybrigde is also for PC, intel made a ship compatible with thunderbolt and USB3, it's a practical choise, doesn't mean that apple will use the feature..
I haven't been on the forum for a month, did i miss a apple/USB3 rumor?

DavidC1
Jan 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
What is with you guys and USB3?? i thought apple isn't going to do it, they are more trying to push the thunderbolt to become a standard...

What's up with the Steve Jobs fantasy? He has said himself that they want the others to not follow his legacy, but go in their own ways. Many things Steve has done well, but now he's not CEO it's not hard to imagine some things will change.

Now, it isn't true that because the next Mac is based on Ivy Bridge, it would automatically feature USB3. Apple was first to use Z68 but none of the Macs featured the SSD caching feature(called Smart Response Technology). So USB3 still might be excluded, we don't know.

filmbuff
Jan 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
Remember what Steve Jobs said about it...(RIP)
Ivybridge support USB3 it's true but Ivybrigde is also for PC, intel made a ship compatible with thunderbolt and USB3, it's a practical choise, doesn't mean that apple will use the feature..
I haven't been on the forum for a month, did i miss a apple/USB3 rumor?

I think at this point most people assume Apple will go to USB 3.0 just because it is the standard now. How many high end laptops come out from any manufacturer without at leas one USB 3 port these days? Apple has made indications that they plan on staying with USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt but I think this will start to become a drawback really quick since there are no accessories that work with Thunderbolt.

Ptdr
Jan 30, 2012, 03:54 PM
What's up with the Steve Jobs fantasy? He has said himself that they want the others to not follow his legacy, but go in their own ways. Many things Steve has done well, but now he's not CEO it's not hard to imagine some things will change.

I know!!!! i'm not against USB3, would love to see it in a mac but i thought it was clear that apple don't want it...
Many people on this thread is thinking the next MBA will come with USB3, is it just a fantasy or did i miss something????

----------

I think at this point most people assume Apple will go to USB 3.0 just because it is the standard now. How many high end laptops come out from any manufacturer without at leas one USB 3 port these days? Apple has made indications that they plan on staying with USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt but I think this will start to become a drawback really quick since there are no accessories that work with Thunderbolt.

Fair enough, we'll see...
I think apple want to kill USB3 with the thunderbolt, and won't give up, even if they are wrong... i've seen this before...

NutsNGum
Jan 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
I know!!!! i'm not against USB3, would love to see it in a mac but i thought it was clear that apple don't want it...
Many people on this thread is thinking the next MBA will come with USB3, is it just a fantasy or did i miss something????

USB3 is natively supported by Ivy Bridge, so there's really absolutely no good reason to leave it off assuming the next Air comes with an Ivy Bridge CPU (it will), and it's entirely backwards compatible with 2.0 devices.

Space is generally at quite a premium in Apple's notebooks, so adding a seperate USB3 controller (which has been necessary until Ivy Bridge's introduction) on the motherboard would probably have been more hassle than it was worth.

Again, I really doubt it's that Apple have anything against it, it's more likely just too much of a pain in the arse to make it work at the moment.

omardeneo
Jan 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
3G (that's my dream)

8 GB RAM

Masterfox72
Jan 30, 2012, 10:07 PM

I would prefer the 8 GB to the 512 GB so that wouldn't be too bad.

I do like the balck bezel, but sometimes it is WAY too glossy. Although the option would be awesome. The Air iSight cam is atrocious.

bdodds1985
Jan 31, 2012, 08:11 PM
I am not an air user, but i am curious to see if they do release a 15" and how it compares as far as upgrades to the rest of the line. I have been thinking about buying an air recently just as a smaller, lighter, throw in the bag and go notebook. I am pretty cautious with my 15" MBP because i use it for my dual TBD's. At first I hated the airs, now I kind of want one, but with the new chip coming out I will wait.

I'd like to see:
-USB 3.0 ON ALL Apple's products sometime in the future.
-Upgraded (or Upgradeable) RAM
-More Storage (up to 500GB) - why not? It's an easy task and one I realt expect to see in the MBA's
-Only if they release a 15" will there probably be discrete graphics. Not something I would need in an AIR anyways, being a MBP user.

None really matters to me too much. I am easy to please and I'm sure which ever way they go it will have it's advantages and it's flaws as well.

----------

I think apple want to kill USB3 with the thunderbolt, and won't give up, even if they are wrong... i've seen this before...

well it's not working. Thunderbolt has been out for how long now and still companies are not producing more ways to take advantage of it? USB3 is just an upgraded version of USB2. It's only a matter of time and would be a waste not to use it. No one IMO can justify why to not use USB3 and only use thunderbolt.

onthecouchagain
Jan 31, 2012, 08:16 PM
As a 2011 Air owner, I'll be incredibly jealous if the 2012 Air has a significantly improved battery life. Not that I'm not hoping for it, just saying.

If it approaches anywhere near 10 hours, I think I may sell mine and upgrade. That would be a huge boost. I'm not so much interested in much of anything else, except maybe a higher resolution screen, and more SSD space.

jterp7
Jan 31, 2012, 08:25 PM
As a 2011 Air owner, I'll be incredibly jealous if the 2012 Air has a significantly improved battery life. Not that I'm not hoping for it, just saying.

If it approaches anywhere near 10 hours, I think I may sell mine and upgrade. That would be a huge boost. I'm not so much interested in much of anything else, except maybe a higher resolution screen, and more SSD space.

heh 2011 owner here also. To be honest I will wait at least 2 years until either discrete graphics or 512gb ssd's are where 128gb's are now. Maybe I'm being optimistic lol.

My concern right now is a nice wireless HD/NAS which can be accessed by ios + TV for a reasonable price. I've been holding out for the thunderbolt my duo but somehow i'm guessing it will be at least $200 more than the existing models ($470 newegg 6tb)

calvol
Jan 31, 2012, 10:13 PM
As a 2010 13 Air owner, I get close to 10 hours with Coolbook, I'll upgrade if the 2012 gets 12+ hours of battery life.

onthecouchagain
Jan 31, 2012, 11:36 PM
I just googled Coolbook. Sounds interesting, but quite a steep price.

Is CoolBook safe? Is it safe to underclock in order to have a longer battery life? Any drawbacks to this?

Also, has anyone tested it on their 2011 Airs or on Lion in general? EDIT: Oh, their website says it's not ready for 10.7 yet.

Jaro65
Feb 1, 2012, 12:48 AM
I just googled Coolbook. Sounds interesting, but quite a steep price.

Is CoolBook safe? Is it safe to underclock in order to have a longer battery life? Any drawbacks to this?

Also, has anyone tested it on their 2011 Airs or on Lion in general? EDIT: Oh, their website says it's not ready for 10.7 yet.

I don't believe you can use Coolbook with a Sandy Bridge CPU, since it does not support undervolting.

2IS
Feb 1, 2012, 01:37 AM
Many people on this thread is thinking the next MBA will come with USB3, is it just a fantasy or did i miss something????[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Interesting, so if Apple doens't want it, we shouldn't either? This thread is entitled "what would you like to see?"

Apple isn't buying the laptop for us, so if consumers want USB3 they should most certainly speak up about it.

davenz
Feb 1, 2012, 03:43 AM
More ram
Bigger CPU (1.8 gb is a little pathetic)
bigger SDD

Thats it!

KohPhiPhi
Feb 1, 2012, 03:50 AM
I would prefer the 8 GB to the 512 GB.

Me too.

I have an external disk for my hard-core storage needs (videos, music, photos, etc). For applications, OSX, etc, 256gb is plenty, whereas sometimes 4gb is limited when you run a few applications at once.

bdodds1985
Feb 1, 2012, 05:52 AM
Me too.

I have an external disk for my hard-core storage needs (videos, music, photos, etc). For applications, OSX, etc, 256gb is plenty, whereas sometimes 4gb is limited when you run a few applications at once.

I am all about using external drives, for my MBP when not too mobile. But for the air I would probably never use one. I'd rather buy a 13" MBP instead of relying on external storage for a MBA who's sole purpose is mobility. every thing is so portable anyways, now days it has to be the size of a penny and put out enough gigawatts to power the time machine delorean.

Naimfan
Feb 1, 2012, 09:34 AM
Having tried an Air for travel and preferring the MBP, I'd suggest 4 things that have all already been mentioned.

First, 8 GB of RAM. Even with SSD, 4 GB of RAM is slower than 8.

Second, better battery life. I get noticeably longer battery life in my 13" MBP, and for something that is supposed to be an "ultra-portable" a longer-lasting battery seems like a must.

Third, more storage even though I understand storage capacities are driven in large part by the cost of the SSDs used by Apple. Someone earlier suggested doubling them and I'd say that would be the right ballpark.

Fourth, I'd like to see better color gamut, accuracy, and viewing angles. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to such things, but the gray and washed-out screen quality of the Air is a serious turn-off for me.

I've left off USB3 because I think that will happen anyway with Ivy Bridge, as well as more ports, because that starts to defeat the point of the Air in the first place. Similarly, the CPU is fine.

And while it would be nice if it could be made to feel more solid, I understand that probably can't be done without making it bigger or heavier, which again starts to defeat the point of it (even if I am one of those who finds the claim that there is a substantial difference in portability between the 13" Air and 13" MBP to be absurd).

EspressoLove
Feb 3, 2012, 02:38 AM
only 8GB RAM would make me want to upgrade :rolleyes:
Retina display would be nice too :D
on the other hand not so sure about Lion :mad:

Rideherhard
Feb 3, 2012, 04:59 PM
I would love an air I like the smallness of it but I won't buy one with 4gb of ram and not able to upgrade it to 8gb. I'd love to see the glass screen like the MBP, going to upgrade my computer when the wifi ac is out hopefully by then the MBA will have a increase in ram.

keating
Feb 3, 2012, 06:15 PM
Can someone explain why the next MBA won't have 3G? Increasing convergence between OSX and iOS devices, already have the architecture with the pre-paid micro sims, all they need to do is put the thing in the side of it?

Augure
Feb 3, 2012, 11:30 PM
Can someone explain why the next MBA won't have 3G? Increasing convergence between OSX and iOS devices, already have the architecture with the pre-paid micro sims, all they need to do is put the thing in the side of it?

Because no computer haas a 3G card yet, and Apple doesn't innovate anymore.

It will just be a regular update has exposed in previous comments

ECUpirate44
Feb 3, 2012, 11:41 PM
All I want is a 15" with a 250GB SSD.

Zudeo
Feb 5, 2012, 08:58 PM
only 8GB RAM would make me want to upgrade :rolleyes:
Retina display would be nice too :D
on the other hand not so sure about Lion :mad:

Agreed.
Agreed.
What don't you like about Lion?

StellarSoul
Feb 6, 2012, 04:28 AM
Must play Diablo 3 smoothly. Only requirement haha. Seriously. All hardware upgrades must be geared towards that goal haha.

Zudeo
Feb 7, 2012, 02:41 PM
Must play Diablo 3 smoothly. Only requirement haha. Seriously. All hardware upgrades must be geared towards that goal haha.

Agreed.

Reaktor5
Feb 7, 2012, 03:47 PM
15 inch, 256 GB SSD, a graphics card that will play Starcraft II (not required but would be nice), a quad-core i5 or i7, and at least 4 GB of RAM.

The form factor of the Air is perfect. It just needs a little speed bump for the audio editing I do. A better graphics card would be nice but not essential since I'd only use it for relatively old games. For new games I turn to me 360.

AlfaLavala
Feb 10, 2012, 05:31 PM

This. If I can run D3 from the Air on a Thunderbolt display (1080p would do) I will buy it.

David085
Feb 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
if it his a 512 GB SSD option and it isn't alot that what you already paying then maybe but I already have enough computers so not sure I would

Beanoir
Feb 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
Battery Life - wouldn't mind a couple of hours more in use, although I still find the standby time pretty impressive if i'm honest.

RAM - i'm perfectly ok with 2GB still and have been for nearly 2 years, but whilst I don't need to upgrade right now, the ability to have user upgradeable RAM would be a bonus to suit those that do.

SD CARD - one on the 11"

Camera - The camera on the MBA is pretty poor, I know this is down to space but if the technology allowed i'd be more likely to use it if it had a HD camera.

and for cosmetic reasons a different screen bezel would be nice, but i'm not that fussed about.

Apple2000
Feb 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
15 inch, 256 GB SSD, a graphics card that will play Starcraft II (not required but would be nice), a quad-core i5 or i7, and at least 4 GB of RAM.

The form factor of the Air is perfect. It just needs a little speed bump for the audio editing I do. A better graphics card would be nice but not essential since I'd only use it for relatively old games. For new games I turn to me 360.

Intel's leaked roadmap shows only dual core 17 watt processors for ivy bridge, with a slightly higher clock speed. No quad core.

Warhawk15
Feb 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
What I would love...

8gb ram
sata6 ssd, 128gb is fine
15" with higher resolution to match
Battery life = 8-9 hours

Everything else I want will be solved with ivy bridge such as usb 3.0, better graphics, etc...

2IS
Feb 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
if it his a 512 GB SSD option and it isn't alot that what you already paying then maybe but I already have enough computers so not sure I would

Should probably keep this thread to realistic expectations. 512GB SSD's are expensive even in their cheapest 2.5" SATA form factor. If they do offer a 512GB option, you're going to pay a lot for it. Guaranteed.

XX55XX
Feb 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
Besides better graphics, I don't think anything else can be improved. Though, a move to 6GB RAM would be very nice.

Kissaragi
Feb 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
Better battery life on the 11incher would do me. May well replace my ipad with one if they mange that

cragmr
Feb 13, 2012, 11:25 AM
Besides better graphics, I don't think anything else can be improved. Though, a move to 6GB RAM would be very nice.

Better graphics will come with the upgrade to Ivy Bridge. And why bother with 6GB? Offer 4GB for the low end and 8GB for the high end.

spikeyjac
Feb 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
Bigger Ram and that's about it, I'm quite happy with my 2011 one :)

Mac32
Feb 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
I was definately looking forward to get a 2012 13'' MBA, but now I'm actually hesitating, as I can't stand the changes Apple made with Lion - ie. versions, auto-save and resume, and several other silly additions. Just bloody awful IMO..
Maybe I'll hold on to my 2010 MBA 11'' a year extra instead. It still serves me quite well.. Especially because of coolbook the CPU runs cool, and battery life is very good.

Oli3000
Feb 13, 2012, 01:20 PM
I was definately looking forward to get a 2012 13'' MBA, but now I'm actually hesitating, as I can't stand the changes Apple made with Lion - ie. versions, auto-save and resume, and several other silly additions. Just bloody awful IMO..
Maybe I'll hold on to my 2010 MBA 11'' a year extra instead. It still serves me quite well.. Especially because of coolbook the CPU runs cool, and battery life is very good.

Pretty sure you can turn all 3 of those features off...

Mac32
Feb 14, 2012, 05:56 PM
Pretty sure you can turn all 3 of those features off...

Pretty sure...or quite sure..?

Ie. no, you can't turn them off.

calvol
Feb 14, 2012, 08:44 PM

Same here, happy with 2010 Air/SnowLeopard/Coolbook, 10+ hours battery life, will probably wait for Haswell to upgrade, skipping Sandy-"fire"-Bridge and it's cousin Ivy, which is just a die shrink, and bloated Lion. Might look at the 2012 15" Air/Pro if it has discrete graphics.

superstarmc
Feb 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
Upgradable to 8 gigs of Ram and a third USB

trevnod
Feb 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
I would love to see the option of a 512GB SSD as surely they are at that stage by now?? Other things I'd like to see but not as fussed are,

Retina display,
USB 3.0 :apple:

Risasi
Feb 21, 2012, 03:59 PM
I think HD 4000 graphics will be good enough for me, if augmented by a loaded Mac mini for heavy lifting. Still debating between an Air/Mini+Monitor combo, or a 15" MBP.

What would tempt me to the MBA side is;

A little better battery life. The consistent 6.5-8 hours I get on my MBP is helpful. But not a deal breaker. Working in data centers lately has shown me that having that extra battery when mobile is really nice.

Hopefully 128GB / 256GB becomes the new storage space standard. I have a 120GB SSD in my MBP right now, and I could use an extra 50GB.
Likewise 4GB as the new minimum for RAM, or even better give me expandability. So an 11" Air for $999 or 13" for $1299 at these specs makes me salivate.

Put both USB ports on the same side, it's annoying trying to hook up external drives and having two USB plugs that you need to plug in. Also make them USB 3.0

Aside from that, the current Air covers 98% of my needs. And most of my wants. I would like to be able to run Shogun 2 at medium graphics, but that's a luxury that could be covered by a Mac Mini or even a homebrew Mini-ITX computer screwed to the back of a monitor.

roofz
Feb 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
9+ hours on battery

speed bump to the cpu and gpu

more ram would be chill

HstephenG
Feb 21, 2012, 09:25 PM
An hour extra battery on the 11 inch, along with 4gb and 128gb for $999 would make a lot of people, including me, very happy. A bargin and perfect for light work while on the road for consultancy!

minnus
Feb 22, 2012, 10:20 AM
Discrete video. I don't care if it makes it 'slightly heavier and thicker'.

User Removable RAM.

cragmr
Feb 22, 2012, 11:30 AM
Discrete video. I don't care if it makes it 'slightly heavier and thicker'.

User Removable RAM.

Not going to happen in the "Air". Discrete video will still happen in the Pro.

I put Air in quotation marks because I believe that when Ivy Bridge comes out we are going to see a refresh that combines the Air and Pro lines into a single line of computing devices, so there might be a "Pro" like model at 13" with discrete video that is slightly thicker than the "Air" model at 13" that doesn't have discrete video but has better battery life.

axu539
Feb 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
Not going to happen in the "Air". Discrete video will still happen in the Pro.

I put Air in quotation marks because I believe that when Ivy Bridge comes out we are going to see a refresh that combines the Air and Pro lines into a single line of computing devices, so there might be a "Pro" like model at 13" with discrete video that is slightly thicker than the "Air" model at 13" that doesn't have discrete video but has better battery life.

I'm convinced that the 13" will never get a dGPU due to the thermal constraints of graphics processors. This will be even less of a problem since Ivy Bridge graphics will be significantly better, with the HD4000 capable of handling 4k resolutions. I do agree that the "Air" and "Pro" will likely become one line of computers, however. The 15" and 17" machines, regardless of how thin Apple redesigns them, will likely keep their dGPU capabilities, given the much larger surface areas for heat dissipation.

cragmr
Feb 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'm convinced that the 13" will never get a dGPU due to the thermal constraints of graphics processors. This will be even less of a problem since Ivy Bridge graphics will be significantly better, with the HD4000 capable of handling 4k resolutions. I do agree that the "Air" and "Pro" will likely become one line of computers, however. The 15" and 17" machines, regardless of how thin Apple redesigns them, will likely keep their dGPU capabilities, given the much larger surface areas for heat dissipation.

My mistake, sorry. I got confused for a second there and thought that the entire Pro line had dedicated GPUs.

axu539
Feb 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
My mistake, sorry. I got confused for a second there and thought that the entire Pro line had dedicated GPUs.

Yeah, it's a pity, really. Many 13" users would definitely like the extra power. But, by the time Haswell rolls out, the need for dedicated GPUs will be greatly diminished thanks to the advances in integrated graphics.

beyondthesmile
Feb 22, 2012, 06:09 PM
Are you guys expecting to see a significant physical redesign or will it be more about the "guts" of the machine?

yongren
Feb 22, 2012, 10:35 PM
Are you guys expecting to see a significant physical redesign or will it be more about the "guts" of the machine?

I'm assuming we'll get a Retina display, better camera, better battery life, and new processor / graphics. Doubt there will be anything else... maybe more options for RAM and SSD sizes

Spinning
Feb 23, 2012, 01:15 AM
More battery life would be a great thing, IMO.

Buildbright
Feb 23, 2012, 01:16 AM
High powered Llano APU. This would allow you to Play games and improve graphics but far.

KohPhiPhi
Feb 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
8gb RAM

Thinner bezel around the screen, which would either reduce the laptop's overall size, or would increase the screen size (and perhaps resolution to 1440x900 on the 11" and 1600x1050 on the 13")

USB 3.0 to speed up external hard-drives

Better battery life on the 11" model. I'm happy with the 6 hours I'm currently getting on the 13" model

8gb RAM

That's pretty much it. Other than that, the MBA is already a fantastic machine that doesn't require much more than the expected Ivy Bridge + H4000 upgrade.

The X Factor
Feb 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
8gb RAM

Thinner bezel around the screen, which would either reduce the laptop's overall size, or would increase the screen size (and perhaps resolution to 1440x900 on the 11" and 1600x1050 on the 13")

USB 3.0 to speed up external hard-drives

Better battery life on the 11" model. I'm happy with the 6 hours I'm currently getting on the 13" model

8gb RAM

That's pretty much it. Other than that, the MBA is already a fantastic machine that doesn't require much more than the expected Ivy Bridge + H4000 upgrade.

This, for real. "Retina Display" too.

macness
Feb 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
u think it will play blu ray?

eagandale4114
Feb 24, 2012, 11:03 PM
u think it will play blu ray?

Are you serious> The air dos not have optics and never will.

rohitrmehta
Feb 25, 2012, 12:31 AM
I Would want it to have options for quad core processors, dedicated GPUs, 8GB ram option and Bigger SSD.....HD res would be good to...to cut things short, I would like to see a macbook pro 17" config in MacBook Air 13" ;)

EspressoLove
Mar 4, 2012, 05:37 PM
- dual channel 8GB RAM option
- SATA 6Gbit enabled SSD, with up to 512GB
- bit better screen (on par with 15" MBP)

AlexH
Mar 4, 2012, 08:39 PM
Ordered in level of importance (to me):
1. Larger storage options
2. 8GB RAM
3. Discreet graphics

I can live without discreet graphics card, and I'd prefer more RAM, but I can't buy a MBA until I can have a minimum of 400GB worth of storage (preferably 500GB +). My iTunes library is big (losless).

rogan
Mar 5, 2012, 04:39 AM
Ordered in level of importance (to me):
1. Larger storage options
2. 8GB RAM
3. Discreet graphics

I can live without discreet graphics card, and I'd prefer more RAM, but I can't buy a MBA until I can have a minimum of 400GB worth of storage (preferably 500GB +). My iTunes library is big (losless).

512GB SSD's start at like $800 so your not going to see that unless your willing to double the price of your air

AlexH
Mar 5, 2012, 11:56 AM
512GB SSD's start at like $800 so your not going to see that unless your willing to double the price of your air
There are 480GB SSDs in the 500-600 range. I'm willing to pay for that. I'm on the go a lot, portability is key, and it is an impossibility to use a MBA without at least 400GB of storage. I need the space.

mcman77
Mar 5, 2012, 03:11 PM
1. Discrete graphics (even if it gets a little thicker)

2. 6GB RAM

3. Quad core ULV 35W option

:apple:

ebolamonkey3
Mar 6, 2012, 01:01 AM
What a notebook this has been. Utterly mesmerising. Functionality beyond expectation. Steve Jobs, the MBA being one of his labor of loves, totally knocked it out of the park with this.

Now we've had this design a while, what, if any, bottlenecks are you coming up against that might be lifted with a new model? What else do you want to see, within 'reason' (you define that).

CPU
I'm not pushing the CPU much. A drop in the time it takes to convert movie or music files would be a bonus. As would elimination of the odd skip on youtube 1080p. Heat and noise? Genuinely, having one of the lower voltage CPUs, I have none. Any CPU upgrade, presumably Ivy Bridge, will be more than sufficient for me.

Ivy Bridge's practically guaranteed, the lower powerdraw and tdp will be awesome :) But since it is a culv chip (17w vs 35w), it's still not as fast. Dunno if Apple's implemented quicksync yet, but once that is enabled, there shouldn't be any more skipping.

RAM
Even with Win XP on VM, I'm not pushing the RAM on mine at all (4GB). I'd be happy with the same, but if 8GB were there, I'd go for it to run beefier programs/games.

I'd want to see 4gb ram, even on the lowest configuration. And option for 8gb at the top end.

SSD
I'm regularly hitting the SSD limit leaving me to juggle constantly with Time Capsule, so a bigger SSD if available would be great. I'd love 512GB.

Same :)

GPU
Not gaming much (except some emulator action), this isn't get pushed. I'll be happy with whatever Ivy Bridge gives me.

Agreed, this machine isn't made for gaming. Though the option for a discrete Nvidia GPU w/ Optimus would be welcomed.

Screen
No concerns, would be happy with the same. OLED or IPS? If implemented well, it'd be nice.

I'd go for IPS out of the two because OLED is too saturated, but probably won't see any changes here.

Battery
Probably the upgrade I want to see. I'm constantly zeroing the current one as I take it around the house/work/travel. Hoping Ivy Bridge helps with this. Not aware of any new advances in battery technology. Toshiba promised something along these lines last year, including super fast recharge, claiming zero to 90% battery in 10 minutes! link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=912202)

I think the Thinkpad X1 already has a really quick recharging battery. Don't think we'll see any big bumps in capacity, but a quick charging one would be nice.

Integrated LTE/3G
I'd be all over this in principle, but can't imagine it not significantly impacting battery and slightly adding weight with inefficient Sim-bays.

Could be useful for business people, but I don't really need it.

TB/USB3
The former's a given, I imagine almost certainly for the latter too given Ivy Bridge support. This would also be great to have and is another bottleneck for me, mainly because I'm transferring to and from Time Capsule and flash disks to free up my SSD.

Would be nice to have USB 3 as well.

Design
Even though I'd still be very happy with the same design and upgraded internals, wouldn't it be great to see this thing in black? There was some rumor of Apple looking into this a year or two ago.

OMG YES PLEASE.

Siri
:)

Meh :p

_

Overall I think it'll be an evolutionary increase. CPU upgrade, maybe RAM bump, but not much else.

Stealthipad
Mar 6, 2012, 06:06 AM
I want 15" of screen and 512GB drive with 16gb ram. USB 3.

That is all.

macb00kair
Mar 6, 2012, 09:45 AM
More memory! iTunes takes up a lot nowadays :(

AirThis
Mar 6, 2012, 11:46 AM
I'm really interested in buying a Mac book air, but don't need any dramatic improvements. So my wish list is pretty simple:

- 8Gb RAM
- Faster processors
- Matte screen
- 5 to 7 hours battery life

But above all, I hope we get the same quality finish as on the current models. I've looked at some of the offerings from the competition and I must say that a few of them look pretty sad.

chillywilly
Mar 6, 2012, 12:00 PM
up to 8 hrs battery life
up to 8gb of RAM
256gb standard with 512gg option for SSD.

keep the backlit keyboard of the 2011 model. 11" model is preferred, but adding a 15" model would be nice.

andrewlgm
Mar 6, 2012, 01:25 PM
10 hour battery life is all I want. If that became reality I would go out into the streets and kiss the first person I saw.

That would be sweet! (not the kiss - the battery!)

austinguy23
Mar 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If it doesn't have a Retina Display it will be a disappointment. Being thin & light is old news at this point and Apple no longer has the market cornered for that form factor. Time to push the envelope again and a Retina Display is the way to do it.

Thares
Mar 6, 2012, 05:32 PM
Well...

15" screen
smaller bezel

That's basically all I want in addition to the current Air. Also, Samsung brings out a 15" inch ultra-thin laptop at the end of April, their Series 9...

jterp7
Mar 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If it doesn't have a Retina Display it will be a disappointment. Being thin & light is old news at this point and Apple no longer has the market cornered for that form factor. Time to push the envelope again and a Retina Display is the way to do it.

i believe sony currently holds the crown as far as max res. on the 13" at 1080p. 1440p plus discrete graphics that either fits into mba chassis or through dock with decent muscle (if internal 6750m level, external 6970m). If it doesn't hit at least one of those it wouldn't be pushing the envelope.

AppleFanBoy888
Mar 6, 2012, 07:15 PM
I would like the 2012 MacBook Air to have more RAM, USB 3.0, and better battery life. :)

rellimie
Mar 6, 2012, 08:11 PM
Retina display