Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I somehow have royally messed up my MDD. In trying to repair it I now get the 10.4 setup screens (where it asks for location, internet connection type, etc) - but it always hangs on the last step and never finishes.

The machine was given to me with no disks or anything - but hey it was free and worked. So I don't have the restore disc. I do however have an image from the day I got it that was made with CCC.

Is there a way I can load that image to the hard drive so it's bootable just like it was when it was given to me?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could try to boot from the backup, as CCC makes bootable backups, via holding down the OPTION key during startup. If the backup is connected via USB, it will not work though, as PPC Macs don't boot via USB, only Firewire.
But even if it is USB, you can try, as sometimes PPC Macs work with USB clones.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
You could try to boot from the backup, as CCC makes bootable backups, via holding down the OPTION key during startup. If the backup is connected via USB, it will not work though, as PPC Macs don't boot via USB, only Firewire.
But even if it is USB, you can try, as sometimes PPC Macs work with USB clones.

The image is on a CD and I believe it is a DMG. As for holding OPTION...I have seen numerous versions of this OPTION by itself OPTION+C and just C as it boots.

Which one is the correct method? I've probably tried some of these but I am not sure so I'll try again, but every way I have tried I just get to the OSX Setup screens.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Holding down option during startup with the ccc image disc in the cd drive yields a screen with a refresh (circle arrow) on the left, a pc icon in the middle with the harddrive's name, then a arrow pointing right on the right.

Only the arrows can be pressed and all it does is go to the osx welcome/setup screens

Any ideas?

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Would pulling the hd and putting it in a USB hd enclosure to connect to my MBP to copy the ccc image to it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.