PDA

View Full Version : How to make Jaguar usable?

xTRIGGER092x
Oct 14, 2011, 03:11 PM
So, my grandmother has an old eMac that I want to get running. It's connected to the internet (and updated to the max), but of course, the computer is just so outdated that the internet doesn't display well at all. Are there any browsers/plugins I can download to get things working properly? Upgrading to Tiger/Leopard is pretty much out of the question.

MacHamster68
Oct 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
Jaguar? you mean 10.2 ...please ,please do your Granny's eMac a favour and update to Tiger 10.4 which is miles more stable
and you could then run TenFourFox or Camino the best browsers for PowerMac's and the last that are fully supported with updates today (both based on Firefox)!

and max out the ram to at very least 512 mb , better to 1 gb then you got a computer thats even today usable for the basics at descent speeds, you will then for normal browsing see not much difference in speed compared to your iMac 21.5", the eMac's are still great computers

Panther 10.3 would be a option too , but then you need to use a older unsupported Camino version.

because 10.2 was everything but not a great OS even in 2002 , of course you could try installing a even older version of camino (1.0)which isn't supported since years

other great option would be reverse back to OS9.1 /OS9.2 and use clasilla browser at least that is a supported browser

xTRIGGER092x
Oct 14, 2011, 03:48 PM
Jaguar? you mean 10.2 ...please ,please do your Granny's eMac a favour and update to Tiger 10.4
as you could then run TenFourFox the best browser for PowerMac's that is fully supported today !

and max out the ram to at very least 512 mb , better to 1 gb then you got a computer thats even today usable for the basics at descent speeds
That requires too much time and effort; my grandmother doesn't use this computer primarily, she uses a Windows XP laptop that works just fine. She just wants this eMac to be relatively operational.

MacHamster68
Oct 14, 2011, 04:11 PM
That requires too much time and effort; my grandmother doesn't use this computer primarily, she uses a Windows XP laptop that works just fine. She just wants this eMac to be relatively operational.

but the effort would be worth it definitely

try camino 1.0 , it might still work

mrsir2009
Oct 14, 2011, 05:21 PM
Tiger would be great, but aside for getting it illegally its very hard to get your hands on a copy these days :(

Jethryn Freyman
Oct 14, 2011, 10:54 PM
Put Tiger on it, it's a million times better than Jag, and if your eMac is supported, or if it's not and you were feeling like putting some extra effort in, I'd recommend Leopard over Tiger.

iThinkergoiMac
Oct 15, 2011, 07:30 AM
If that's too much effort then you can give the computer up for lost. Jaguar is just too old. Upgrading the OS isn't THAT much effort, and the RAM is also fairly easy to upgrade. I could do the whole thing in an hour and a half.

xTRIGGER092x
Oct 15, 2011, 08:32 AM
If that's too much effort then you can give the computer up for lost. Jaguar is just too old. Upgrading the OS isn't THAT much effort, and the RAM is also fairly easy to upgrade. I could do the whole thing in an hour and a half.
Well, it is too much effort for a computer that hasn't been used for years. Yes, the RAM is easy to install (and is easily found for cheap on eBay), but getting Tiger would be a major pain; I'd have to hunt down the rare-ish CD version of Tiger and then pay a ridiculously expensive price ($100-$110) for a 7-year old obsolete operating system.

eyoungren
Oct 15, 2011, 12:20 PM
What about using iCab? (http://www.icab.de/dl.php)

Des Zac
Oct 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
What about using iCab? (http://www.icab.de/dl.php)

Yay! iCab! I use that as the main browser on my PM G3 :)

adcx64
Oct 15, 2011, 02:04 PM
Yay! iCab! I use that as the main browser on my PM G3 :)

What do you like about iCab?
I found that older camino versions work best.

mrsir2009
Oct 15, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well, it is too much effort for a computer that hasn't been used for years. Yes, the RAM is easy to install (and is easily found for cheap on eBay), but getting Tiger would be a major pain; I'd have to hunt down the rare-ish CD version of Tiger and then pay a ridiculously expensive price ($100-$110) for a 7-year old obsolete operating system.

I reckon Apple should produce a small amount of Tiger CDs each year and sell them for $50 or something. I know a lot of people (including myself) who would buy it, and Apple would make a little profit from it as well. Everybody wins:D

Des Zac
Oct 15, 2011, 03:19 PM
What do you like about iCab?
I found that older camino versions work best.

Well, it's running OS 9 and it is the only browser I've tested so far. I might try Classilia or whatever it's called soon.

tom vilsack
Oct 15, 2011, 06:29 PM
it's called Classilla and i run it on my clamshell with os 9.2.2

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

goMac
Oct 15, 2011, 08:20 PM

I'm all against software piracy, but for an old Apple OS that Apple doesn't even care about anymore, I'd just grab it from the usual sources. Nobody is going to send the police to your door for downloading Tiger.

mrsir2009
Oct 15, 2011, 10:11 PM
I'm all against software piracy, but for an old Apple OS that Apple doesn't even care about anymore, I'd just grab it from the usual sources. Nobody is going to send the police to your door for downloading Tiger.

Its sort of selfish for Apple to keep it copyright IMO. I mean, they don't sell it anymore. It reminds me of a little kid holding on to their teddy bear and not letting anyone else use it, even though they don't even like it anymore...

eyoungren
Oct 15, 2011, 10:32 PM
Its sort of selfish for Apple to keep it copyright IMO. I mean, they don't sell it anymore. It reminds me of a little kid holding on to their teddy bear and not letting anyone else use it, even though they don't even like it anymore...
I'd support that, but if Apple does that they'd probably be pressured to release all the way back.

As I understand it 7.6 and above are still copyright. The latest you can get in public domain is OS 7.5.

Des Zac
Oct 15, 2011, 10:32 PM
Its sort of selfish for Apple to keep it copyright IMO. I mean, they don't sell it anymore. It reminds me of a little kid holding on to their Plush Tiger and not letting anyone else use it, even though they don't even like it anymore...

I fixed it for you :D

gyorpb
Oct 15, 2011, 10:59 PM
Its sort of selfish for Apple to keep it copyright IMO. I mean, they don't sell it anymore. It reminds me of a little kid holding on to their teddy bear and not letting anyone else use it, even though they don't even like it anymore...There are parts that aren't Apple's to give away.

Hrududu
Oct 15, 2011, 11:12 PM
Best way to make Jaguar usable is to install Panther. No joke, Jag was a terrible OS. Its slow, it crashes all the time and even with lots of RAM will never perform up to what you'll see from Panther. I would bet you could easily track down a copy of Panther or even Tiger for super cheap on eBay these days.

burnout8488
Oct 15, 2011, 11:24 PM
Hell, post up a craigslist ad and see if you can BORROW Tiger from someone at the very least.

mabaker
Oct 16, 2011, 02:16 AM
Put Tiger on it. It will be ok, especially since Ten4Fox is supported there - also Camoni 2.1 (the newest version!).

iThinkergoiMac
Oct 16, 2011, 07:56 AM

Except that it doesn't make any business sense to release such a relatively recent OS for free. It would eat into their current sales of Macs, because people in the OP's situation would be more inclined to just download Tiger than to just buy a new Mac. Apple's job is to stay in business and stay profitable, not enable users to continue to use very old Macs.

I'm not saying I approve of this, but at the same time it makes perfect sense.

Hrududu
Oct 16, 2011, 10:50 AM
Except that it doesn't make any business sense to release such a relatively recent OS for free. It would eat into their current sales of Macs, because people in the OP's situation would be more inclined to just download Tiger than to just buy a new Mac. Apple's job is to stay in business and stay profitable, not enable users to continue to use very old Macs.

I'm not saying I approve of this, but at the same time it makes perfect sense.
If you really think it makes "perfect sense" that a free download of an OS from 2005 that never even had a retail build for Intel chips is going to hurt Apple's sales of new computers, then you've got to be smoking something. People who want to run Tiger are either not in the market for a new Mac at all or they already have one and are using it on hardware that cannot be purchased new anywhere. Sorry, but that logic is a complete joke.

kevin242
Oct 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
If Apple released any recent version of OSX out in the pd it would be a huge mistake. Even Tiger is better than Windows, it would make it that much easier for someone to make a simple loader for Tiger to work on pc's not that it's not possible already, but at least as it stands now it's harder to get ahold of Tiger without illegally downloading it.

MacHamster68
Oct 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
they could offer both Tiger and Leopard for download or as disc , both OS'es cant run on new Mac's , Apple does not sell older Mac's that could still run those OS'es
and AS Apple does not offer any more support for both if they run on PPC Mac's , so they could declare them as Abandon-ware as Apple has abandoned both systems now, as Apple will not release further security updates for the PPC version of Leopard since 10.5.8

but there are still many(millions) PPC Mac's that are still working out there today (not intended by Apple as they would prefer to see old Mac's once they reach 3 years of age to disappear from desks and go to landfill sites to make room for brandnew Mac's )

Imixmuan
Oct 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
I understand this is not an option for the OP since the word "granny" was mentioned more than once but...mintPPC is a truly viable option for old emac's like this. It's fast, stable, secure. Modern Linux kernel, Iceweasel, Midori, minitube, VLC, all of it modern and up to date, and free as air. No flash but that's not really a problem, is it? Is it?

Cox Orange
Oct 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
the ones with the black label are rare on ebay, but the ones with gray label aren't.
If you have or buy a mac that can load the grey labeled CDs you can install it via target mode to the eMac. If you keep the CDs, it would not be that illegal since you payed for the CDs. Wouldn't it?

But that would be to much trouble concerning you have to buy and resell the mac only to have it as an installer once.