Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
Okay so after updating to iOS5 I can now locate my two mac computers with the lion update, but it can't seem to locate the two iPod touches or the iPad. I've checked the setting to make sure that it says its set to on under iCloud but still nothing...

I'm hoping to upgrade our two iPhones from 3G phones (yes we're really still carrying them) to 4S phones in the next month or so.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I was having trouble too, but my Iphone 4 was finally located after a couple retrys. Keep trying and see what happens.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Okay so after updating to iOS5 I can now locate my two mac computers with the lion update, but it can't seem to locate the two iPod touches or the iPad. I've checked the setting to make sure that it says its set to on under iCloud but still nothing...

I'm hoping to upgrade our two iPhones from 3G phones (yes we're really still carrying them) to 4S phones in the next month or so.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Can the feature work with iPods and iPads that don't have 3G?

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I had the same problem as well. After I toggled the on/off switch for find my iPhone in Settings > iCloud it worked again.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
Great, I'll try toggling and maybe even rebooting too... Thanks guys...

It was working great on them before the upgrade... :(

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Make sure the iPods and iPad are logged in with the correct iCloud (or MobileMe if they are pre-iOS 5) credentials if they've changed.

In my case, my son's iPhone 4 had stopped appearing but going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > MobileMe on the iPhone and logging out and then in again with my new iCloud credentials got it working again.

jhCanuck

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
canada
additional questions about Find My Phone

i am not having technical problems getting Find My Phone to work but i am puzzled about one particular detail.

I have three iPhones (2 4's and 1 4S) using iOS5.
All three show up as traceable.

I have an impression however that Find My Phone has to be turned on (on any phone that you wish to track); is that correct?
It seems to me that if someone found or stole an iPhone they could simply turn off the App -- and it wouldn't be traceable.

Perhaps I simply misunderstand how Find My Phone works and I would appreciate being enlightened.

IF, indeed the app has to be turned on to be traceable, is there such a thing as an App that will create a lockable directory (into which Find My Phone could be placed, ensuring that it can not turned off, except by the person who knows the password.)

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
So let's use a hypothetical situation - because I must admit I am sceptical about the value of the "find my iPhone" App - in the context of it being used to recover a "lost" iPhone.......

So let's assume my son leaves his iPhone on the bus........someone picks it up.....switches it off......takes it home......removes the SIM......and then does a DFU reset on the device.....then does a factory restore .........and then restores the phone as their own device..........

.....how will find my iPhone (or any other App or service) help in that situation???

Curious

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So let's use a hypothetical situation - because I must admit I am sceptical about the value of the "find my iPhone" App - in the context of it being used to recover a "lost" iPhone.......

So let's assume my son leaves his iPhone on the bus........someone picks it up.....switches it off......takes it home......removes the SIM......and then does a DFU reset on the device.....then does a factory restore .........and then restores the phone as their own device..........

.....how will find my iPhone (or any other App or service) help in that situation???

Curious

It won't.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
But it sure comes in handy when the 7 year old can't remember where he set it down last, because you can send a signal to it so that it will make a chime sound...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.