Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Apologies in advance if I should be able to find the answer to this question...

I am considering purchasing a friends 2008? Macbook 5,1...Aluminum...looks brand new...it's 2.0 ghz C2D with a 160gb drive and 2 gb ram. If I do, I want to increase the ram to the max...OWC, who I have used before, says 8gb will work, while Crucial says 4gb. Who is correct?

From what OWC states on their site, even my 2009 Mac Mini with the 2.0 C2D can accept 8 gb (currently at 4 gb)...even though I distinctly remember that it could not when I bought the ram back then!

seems like a worthwhile upgrade...particularly from 2 gb

any feedback would be great. thanks!

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Apply all updates after you get it and then upgrade the Ram and it should work perfectly.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Thank you all. Does anyone have benchmarks indicating whether there is any performance improvements after 4 gb? Does 6 help? If yes is 8 even better?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you all. Does anyone have benchmarks indicating whether there is any performance improvements after 4 gb? Does 6 help? If yes is 8 even better?

That depends on what kind of applications you will run.

I saw a definite increase of going from 4GB to 6GB to 8GB RAM, but I use RAM hungry applications like After Effects and similar ones. Running Windows as virtual machine will also profit from more RAM.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
That depends on what kind of applications you will run.

I saw a definite increase of going from 4GB to 6GB to 8GB RAM, but I use RAM hungry applications like After Effects and similar ones. Running Windows as virtual machine will also profit from more RAM.

Thanks...at todays RAM prices...it's worth it.

I borrowed the macbook last night...it hadn't been updated in over a year, so I did that...it's still running Leopard...so I plan to install Snow Leopard and maybe Lion. Does anyone know if the latest OS will address what seems to be a tendency to drop wi-fi from time to time?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Thanks...at todays RAM prices...it's worth it.

I borrowed the macbook last night...it hadn't been updated in over a year, so I did that...it's still running Leopard...so I plan to install Snow Leopard and maybe Lion. Does anyone know if the latest OS will address what seems to be a tendency to drop wi-fi from time to time?

Might as well install Lion on it. I have the alu macbook with 8GB RAM, great machine. I have never seen WiFi dropping.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
I even opted for cheap generic RAM, and it's doing just as good a job.

£27 for 8GB a year or so ago.

It makes running a virtual machine that much better.

eyerot

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
I just upgraded to 8 gigs and put in a 750MB 7200 rpm drive with 3 gigabit connection. Highly recommended for any late 2008 Macbook.

Total parts cost was about $175.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.