PDA

View Full Version : On the brink of returning air!!!

redshovel
Oct 15, 2011, 02:30 AM
Ok so personal hotspot worked every time with iPhone 4 on iOS4 and MBP on Lion.
Now iPhone 4 is upgraded to iOS5 and my MBP has been swapped for a new MBA 13''. The Air connects no problem to home wifi and other hotspots i.e. starbucks but I cannot use the Personal Hotspot on the iPhone via the Air......connection time out EVERY time.
However it works between the iPhone and iPad I have.
Can anyone shed light on this and a possible solution .....searched for ages but can find any workarounds at all.

matrix07
Oct 15, 2011, 08:59 AM
No connection time-out here. Works flawlessly. The same set up as yours, iPhone 4 with iOS 5, new MBA 13".

redshovel
Oct 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
No connection time-out here. Works flawlessly. The same set up as yours, iPhone 4 with iOS 5, new MBA 13".

As I would have expected too.
I can solve most problems but this one has got the better of me and every help forum I can find. Booked in with a Genius on Monday (first time I have every had to resort to asking a Genius too)

I have a bad feeling its the flaw in some airs....could be totally wrong but nobody can point me elsewhere:confused:

nebulos
Oct 15, 2011, 10:44 AM
personal hotspot sux. when i first started using it (with a PC laptop), it worked perfectly. i updated my iphone and it never worked again (same laptop); constant connection drops, every single time i used it.

for me, it was easier to just plug in USB than to find a solution, as i was only using it temporarily over the summer. i did look around online, but didn't find what i needed.

when i was considering adding tethering, i asked the guy at ATT how well it worked. he couldn't help but reveal it had problems. what he said was, i'd have to put it in 'airplane mode', as otherwise incoming calls would kill the internet connection. i never noticed or experimented with this, but it seemed to point to a general instability.

i really doubt this is an issue with the MBA hardware, but who knows.

altecXP
Oct 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
The fact your Air works everywhere else implies its not a problem with your Air. I'd be more looking at your phone/IOS5 then the laptop.

redshovel
Oct 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Ok the problem appears to have solved itself somewhat :confused:
The connection timeout occurs only when there is a very high concentration (15+) of available wireless networks nearby - I was in London staying in a street with many small hotels and cafes nearby all offering wifi.
However when I try and use the personal hotspot elsewhere, say when only 5 wireless networks are in reach.....it works no problem.
So as Steve once said 'Switch off your WiFi'!

hfg
Oct 16, 2011, 02:48 PM
If you are in a congested WiFi location, try to pick another channel for your WiFi away from the channels the others are on.

There are "WiFi Finder" apps which will show WiFi signals in your area with channel number, strength, secure, etc. info to help you evaluate your settings.

matrix07
Oct 18, 2011, 01:48 AM
Ok the problem appears to have solved itself somewhat :confused:
The connection timeout occurs only when there is a very high concentration (15+) of available wireless networks nearby - I was in London staying in a street with many small hotels and cafes nearby all offering wifi.
However when I try and use the personal hotspot elsewhere, say when only 5 wireless networks are in reach.....it works no problem.
So as Steve once said 'Switch off your WiFi'!

Glad your problem is solved. Mine works even when there're as much as 8 wireless networks on the list (not included iPhone 4).

sebgreen
Oct 18, 2011, 07:50 AM
Sounds like its just a case that your wi-fi signal coming from the iPhone is not as strong as other surrounding it, much like trying to listen to someone talking quietly in a loud room - its very hard, if not impossible.

As the great Steve Jobs once said about the antenna issue with the iPhone 4, "don't hold it like that", I'm going to say "Don't use your hotspot with other wi-fi networks in range"

davegoody
Oct 18, 2011, 08:28 AM
personal hotspot sux. when i first started using it (with a PC laptop), it worked perfectly. i updated my iphone and it never worked again (same laptop); constant connection drops, every single time i used it.

for me, it was easier to just plug in USB than to find a solution, as i was only using it temporarily over the summer. i did look around online, but didn't find what i needed.

when i was considering adding tethering, i asked the guy at ATT how well it worked. he couldn't help but reveal it had problems. what he said was, i'd have to put it in 'airplane mode', as otherwise incoming calls would kill the internet connection. i never noticed or experimented with this, but it seemed to point to a general instability.

i really doubt this is an issue with the MBA hardware, but who knows.

Not being funny, but putting the phone into "Airplane" mode switches off ALL Radio, not just voice, so your DATA won't work either !