PDA

View Full Version : If you guys always sleep and never shut down...

fade-
Oct 15, 2011, 05:49 AM
... how do you deal with memory leak? I know i know, OSX is much better than windows, but i bet memory leak also exists in mac ox right?

Ohlias
Oct 15, 2011, 06:02 AM
... how do you deal with memory leak? I know i know, OSX is much better than windows, but i bet memory leak also exists in mac ox right?

I've only had my Air for a little over two weeks, but I practice the same approach as all of my other PCs and laptops (this is my first OS X device); Within the day, if I plan to use the Air again, I sleep it. If I'm going to bed, I shut down. In other words, if I know I'll use it soon again, let it sleep. If I know it will be several hours (5+) before I have an opportunity to use it again, I shut it down.

The only exception to this rule is my iPad. I usually leave it one and only reboot once in a while (usually when charging, I close all apps, plug it in, and then shut it down while it charges).

dsiee
Oct 15, 2011, 06:45 AM
Every two to six weeks keeps my MBP under contol. If I end up with less than 2gb free (ram) I will restart (this is with safari, iTunes and evernote/word open)

dangerfish
Oct 15, 2011, 07:51 AM
I never shut down any of my Macs. Always on. Only restart as required for software update. No problems.

GGJstudios
Oct 15, 2011, 07:57 AM
Mac OS X handles memory management quite well. There is no need to restart to free up memory. Many Mac users only restart for Software Updates, having uptime of several weeks or months with no performance degradation.
Every two to six weeks keeps my MBP under contol. If I end up with less than 2gb free (ram) I will restart (this is with safari, iTunes and evernote/word open)
There's more to the picture than free RAM. Your restarts are unnecessary.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342)

ThomasBoss
Oct 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
I just flip down my lid and it hasn't caused me any problems. It just saves time & is handy if I just need to quickly do a single search and go.

fade-
Oct 15, 2011, 08:07 AM
are 'inactive RAM' also somewhat considered as free ram?

GGJstudios
Oct 15, 2011, 08:14 AM
are 'inactive RAM' also somewhat considered as free ram?
Yes. Read the link I posted.

Stingray454
Oct 15, 2011, 08:14 AM
Memory leaking is a very small (or non-existant) problem on OS X imo. I've noticed some app, lite Firefox, can start to build up on memory over time. But then just quit the app and restart it and you're back. I only restart my Air on system updates, and there aren't a lot of them. A few weeks at a time isn't any problem at all, and I have never needed a restart from low memory. Just restart any program that uses a lot of memory and it should be on about the same level as after a reboot.

gnasher729
Oct 15, 2011, 08:24 AM

That is frankly daft. "Free" memory has not been used at all. If you have 2GB "free" memory, you have 2 GB of memory chips that might as well not be there.

Abazigal
Oct 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
Seriously, worst comes to worse, how hard can it be to just spend a minute or so restarting your computer? :confused:

philxor
Oct 15, 2011, 12:42 PM
Memory leaks are fairly rare these days, whether it be OSX or Windows... I've owned Mac laptops for about 6 years now and I don't know if I have ever used the "shutdown" option. I just close the lid and if I need to restart for an update I restart.

VMMan
Oct 15, 2011, 11:53 PM
THREAD TITLE: If you guys always sleep and never shut down...

This reminds me, that I need to make a will.

anberlinairlift
Oct 16, 2011, 12:06 AM
I never shut down any of my Macs. Always on. Only restart as required for software update. No problems.

I hardly ever shut down mine either. But if I go for like a month without shutting down (happens all the time), sometimes strange stuff starts happening... random application crashes, beachballing for simple processes. Seems like a simple restart fixes all those problems.

djrod
Oct 16, 2011, 07:01 AM

same here

johnhurley
Oct 16, 2011, 07:04 AM

I shut mine down all the time ... takes 5 secs to shutdown and 15 secs to reboot.

Do whatever makes sense to you! No worries!

MultiFinder17
Oct 16, 2011, 12:17 PM
Every week or so I log out and log back in on my Air just to freshen things up a bit, and generally only reboot whenever a major software update comes around that demands one. It's been working well enough for many, many, many years of Mac use :)