Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a second hand copy of adobe illustrator 10 probably from ebay(I've got a 350Mhz 8GB Imac Indigo with OSX 10.1.5 so I think that is the only os x native release that my sytem can handle).

If it has already been registered by the original owner am I right in thinking that the cd won't run on any other computer?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
It will run

BUT, in order to keep hassles away, I would suggest not registering it when you install; the seller has to contact Adobe and make them aware of the transfer, if I understand it correctly.

After two revisions, I don't think Adobe cares too much. I would keep records of the transaction, and not register. In teh unlikely event that "Men in Black" from Adobe come knocking on your door, show them the transaction records and promptly tell them to get out. :p

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Duh!

I have a copy of Illustrator 10 I can sell you. I use CS now. It was purchased when it was released and was registered. Let me know if you want it and how much you can offer. I have the CD, and the manual that came with it.

Since I no longer use it, why should Adobe have a beef with it? Anyway, I also have Photoshop 7, InDesign 2.0 and GoLive 6 if you are interested...

rugonnaeatthat

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I use illustrator CS now and used illustrator 10 in the past, all on my 700mhz emac - it worked just fine. Of course illustrator is one of those apps that can slow to a crawl once you start adding a load of paths and effects etc. Illustrator along with Indesign and golive, are main factors that I am upgrading to an iMac 2Ghz too many deadlines with the added stress of an unresponsive computer loosen your wallet rather quickly- I really like to push it to the limits :)

Of course Illustrator 10 opens in Os9 so you could always reboot and work in the less resource hungry OS9.

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
thanks

Thanks for the info all. I've got a much better idea that it'll work ok using a second-hand copy now. I will probably try my chances on ebay in the hope that the new Creative Suite has made the price of version 10 crash!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.