Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
1) The Internet: Macs aren’t compatible with .Net websites. Not a big deal now, but .Net is growing and as it does Macs become less Internet compatible.

2) Windows Media Player. It looks like MS has stopped development for the Mac Version. More and more sites only stream in WMP and more downloads are only available as .wmv. Even today with the addition on VLC Player I can’t play many .wmv files. So Macs will only continue to be less compatible.

3) MS Office Suite: MS is incorporating DRM into its future versions of Office for Windows. Who knows if they will do the same for the Mac platform? This would create incompatibility between the two platforms. Even if both Office suites were fully compatible the Mac version would be viewed as a “lesser” product.

4) Direct: We already know Apple is inferior as a gaming platform, but that can only get worse as MS develops its own games with Direct X.

Believe me I love my Mac and OS X, but I am worried about the future. I don’t want to be left in the dark by using a Mac. I am sick of feeling like a second-class citizen to Windows. I am sick of “We offer no Mac Support.” I am tired of second-class software ported to the Mac; and tired of poor Mac drivers.

I hate MS and their business practices, but it seems like they own too many technologies. Apple really needs to find a way to significantly improve their market share. No one caters to 3%. Apple needs to make some dramatic changes—whether that’s allowing Mac clones again, changing to x86 or releasing an OS X x86 version for PCs. I know many of you hate these ideas, but look at MS stronghold on technology. Yeah Macs are a little cheaper, but the price decline on PCs is even greater. I think something dramatic needs to be done to keep the Mac as a viable platform for developers.

Sure the Mac can survive for a while, with Apple making decent profits on each Mac sold, but eventually the market share and Microsoft’s technologies will make the Mac too incompatible with the real world. I know even if the Mac died Apple could still flourish with their other technologies (Final Cut, iLife, DVD Studio Pro) made for the PC, but we don’t want that. When we think of Apple we think of Mac. After all the Mac is Steve’s baby and mine too!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Cheer up. It's not the end of the world...

I could have imagined people sounding like this a few years ago but Apple's on a roll. Millions of people get their work done every day on a Mac, there's no way I feel like a second-class citizen.

Millions of individual decisions to bail out only hasten the death of the platform.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, you've got some okay points there but generally they assume the premise that these new Microsoft technologies will take off, and that workarounds will not be made. Example: the very pessimistic idea that Office will include DRM but for some reason Office for Mac wont.

Of course there is uncertainty in the OS industry. There is uncertainty in all industries, but the very dynamic nature of IT makes it all the more susceptible to sudden changes that can (and have) destroyed companies overnight. However, I really don't think now is the time to lose faith in Apple. IMO, they are showing more promise now than they ever have.

Nevertheless, you've raised some okay topics (assuming you're not flaming).

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
1) The Internet: Macs aren’t compatible with .Net websites. Not a big deal now, but .Net is growing and as it does Macs become less Internet compatible.
They've been saying that for years. At best, .NET is growing marginally, and at a very small margin.

2) Windows Media Player. It looks like MS has stopped development for the Mac Version. More and more sites only stream in WMP and more downloads are only available as .wmv. Even today with the addition on VLC Player I can’t play many .wmv files. So Macs will only continue to be less compatible.
This is true, however I haven't had many problems with their current version. In fact, most .wmv files play fine.

3) MS Office Suite: MS is incorporating DRM into its future versions of Office for Windows. Who knows if they will do the same for the Mac platform? This would create incompatibility between the two platforms. Even if both Office suites were fully compatible the Mac version would be viewed as a “lesser” product.
You're assuming that Microsoft will stop producing Office for Mac. Let me tell you why that logic is flawed. Microsoft Office is the industry LEADER in producitvity software. To alienate 3% of the market share (read: Apple users) would be to eliminate potential profit. Microsoft is a business; and they know Mac users will buy Office, and that's why they will continue to develop it for both platforms.
4) Direct: We already know Apple is inferior as a gaming platform, but that can only get worse as MS develops its own games with Direct X.
Direct X is overrated, and on most Windows machines can cause problems. Granted, XP addresses a lot of issues it faced in the past, but Apple was never designed for gaming solely. Not being a gamer myself, I don't feel I'm losing much. But, if I were an avid gamer, I can understand your concern.

Apple will survive, as will Mac computers. They've been saying for years that Apple will fall. It hasn't yet. One day Microsoft will though, and then Apple will be there to pick up the mess. There is one major thing Apple has over Microsoft: innovation.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
You are not a Mac user, and there is nothing wrong with it. I don't expect that everybody wants or needs a Mini-Cooper in America. (Heck it's metric, why buy more tools. So if one car dosn't fit every lifestyle, why should one OS fit every person. Cooper has less than 1% of the market share, and I don't think that any body sees it dissapearing any time soon.

Get the system that best fits your needs. Personally I don't like dealing with all of the problems of a windows system, and I admin two different windows networks as part of my job.

I am a work orientated person, not a gamer. I need a good robust system that doesn’t crash and that fits my needs. If I ever start gaming (even if I were WinTell) I will get a dedicated gaming system.

WMP is not frozen for OSX, only IE5 is frozen. (I saw the statement somewhere. I'll look for WMP10 for OSX info I remember it had to do with M$ new music service and the want to bash Apple.). I work extensively with different kinds of DRM for audio, everybody is attempting to create cross platform systems so that the audience is broad and reasons for bypassing DRM are few.

Match the system to your needs and means, and it reads as though you don't need a Mac. Better to be happy with a system that fits your needs than to be unhappy with a system that doesn’t meet your needs. I think that Macs are great, but like cars they don't fit everybody.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
IMO
H.264 and AAC (Mpeg4) not only are better than wmv and wma, but as they are open source (and what with H.264 being used for just about every future format it seems) will outlast WM formats. Eventually, you may see MS adding support for these formats in the future.
I would have a 128 AAC over WMA any day!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Eniregnat said:
You are not a Mac user, and there is nothing wrong with it. I don't expect that everybody wants or needs a Mini-Cooper in America. (Heck it's metric, why buy more tools. So if one car dosn't fit every lifestyle, why should one OS fit every person. Cooper has less than 1% of the market share, and I don't think that any body sees it dissapearing any time soon.

I am a Mac user--a concerned Mac user (3 years now)--not a troll. My concern is for Apple not against. I wasn't criticizing the Mac platform. I love OS X--it's beauty, elegance, stability. Expose is amazing! I am just criticizing my perceived decline of compatiability because of Microsoft's proprietary technologies.

I hate that MS copies everything from Apple. As mentioned above Ms has no innovation. It's sad that an inferior platform is the norm.

Marketshare is important however, because we need developers to continue to support Mac. Many don't and we don't need it to get any worse.

That's what my whole premise is: Increase Macs marketshare, thus increasing its compatiability and viability.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
yellow said:
I thought MS gave up on .NET?

I heard similarly. They didn't exactly give it up, but they kind of figured it was a failure. Won't be surprised if I'm wrong, never really looked into it.

As for Direct X, this has been a factor since Direct X came into the scene. It's not a new "concern". Gaming on Macs suck, and if you can't accept that, get a PC. Not a flame, just a fact.

M$ Office for Mac gets the axe? Not anytime soon. M$ makes alots of $$$ on Office for Mac, and there's no real competition for Office anywhere... Yet.

I've always found workarounds to the limitations of the Mac as compared to PCs, and to me the awards FAR outbalances the negatives. My Mac has encouraged me to do so MUCH more with my computer than I've ever done - photos, movies, music, little interesting apps, and now Dashboard. On my PC I've always kept it to an minimum - the more I do, the more problems I encounter. I'm a gamer I admit, but I don't miss PC gaming much. The console business has grew so much since the days of the SNES and Playstation 1, and the PC gaming business has done the opposite.

Nope I'm not worried. I'm enjoying my Mac.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
.NET - don't know anyone who uses that... never missed it.

WMP - sometimes it's annoying, but what, there's a lot of annoying stuff out there...

Games - I'm not a gamer, and certainly no companies base their decisions on that issue.

Word - well, I just switched to pages, which is a bit beta-like still, but I'm sure it'll improve.

Second rate - I can see what you mean, but this is not the feeling I get being a mac-user - I feel superior :D

A

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
.NET - Important how?

WMV - go get flip4mac.

Games - Seriously, PC gaming will bow to the next batch of consoles, no contest there. Mac gaming and PC gaming are just going to shrivel up and die.

Office - if M$ would go and do something like break OS X compatibility, Apple's just gonna pour resources into making Pages better than Word, plus keep compatibility. If openOffice can do it, I don't see why Apple would have a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.