PDA

View Full Version : Copying DVDs

indigoblu
May 9, 2005, 08:43 AM
I know that some DVDs are protected from copying, and programs like Popcorn prohibit copying those DVDs. But are there other ways to copy DVDs, protected or not protected? I've never had a DVD burner until now, and would love to copy some DVDs (some commercial, some not). Any advice?
Thanks.

sonofapplepm
May 9, 2005, 08:50 AM
You can use MacTheRipper, it can be found in a google search. Use popcorn to compress and burn!

WinterMute
May 9, 2005, 09:00 AM
I know that some DVDs are protected from copying, and programs like Popcorn prohibit copying those DVDs. But are there other ways to copy DVDs, protected or not protected? I've never had a DVD burner until now, and would love to copy some DVDs (some commercial, some not). Any advice?
Thanks.

Just as a friendly reminder that it's illegal to copy commercial discs, and discussion of piracy is very much frowned upon on these forums.

That said, you'll often find good discussions about the technology, as long as it doesn't stray into specifics or puerile "nod and wink" stuff.

Popcorn is a compression/burning app, it won't (as you say) rip the discs, however, apps like Mac the Ripper or DVDxDV will rip DVD's to various formats, that can then be burnt onto other media (including DVD-r).

Wether they'll circumvent the newer copy-protection technology is not a subject I want to see discussed here, Copy protect is there to protect revenue, and that includes mine... :)

There are plenty of places on the 'net that'll discuss this openly, but MR ain't one of them.

indigoblu
May 9, 2005, 05:49 PM
I totally understand about copyright issues. I only wanted to copy one DVD, that I have permission for; and the others are homemade videos of family stuff. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

quackattack
May 9, 2005, 06:48 PM
MacTheRipper->DVD2Onex->Toast

Works perfect every time. :D

Lucky8
Jun 6, 2005, 11:46 AM
You can use MacTheRipper, it can be found in a google search. Use popcorn to compress and burn!
OK, I ripped a DVD using MacTheRipper. Now I only have VIDEO_TS folder. Where is AUDIO_TS folder? :confused:
Should I have chosen Full Disc Extraction instead of Main Feature Extraction?
Do I have to buy Popcorn in order to compress and burn it onto a DVD or can I just use DiskUtility app that comes with my Dual 1.8 G5?

njmac
Jun 6, 2005, 11:50 AM
You can not use disk utility. you need toast or popcorn. I think you should quit while your ahead though. this thread seems destined for wasteland.

Lucky8
Jun 6, 2005, 12:00 PM
You can not use disk utility. you need toast or popcorn. I think you should quit while your ahead though. this thread seems destined for wasteland.
Without purchasing those Roxio products, is there a way to burn a DVD on my Dual 1.8 G5 Superdrive?

njmac
Jun 6, 2005, 12:04 PM
not on a mac but a pc, on the other hand, is a different story.

superbovine
Jun 6, 2005, 12:06 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=1523170

Lucky8
Jun 6, 2005, 12:10 PM
not on a mac but a pc, on the other hand, is a different story.
Sorry but I dont really understand what you mean.
First you telling me to qiut while I'm ahead cause this thread seems destined for wasteland and now you talking about PC.
I'm trying to back up a copy of my DVD on my PowerMac Dual 1.8 G5, not PC.
:confused:

njmac
Jun 6, 2005, 12:54 PM
ok, sorry, I thought that maybe you had heard of an easy and free way to do this from friends who use pc's. If you had a pc too,then you could just google it and do that route :o

Sorry if I confused you and gave you wrong info.

joshbriegal
Nov 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
For copying DVDs i use an app called HandBrake :- http://handbrake.fr

It's a free app to convert Video TS folder into files. It takes waaay too long, but gets the job done!

Steve Catterall
Nov 11, 2008, 06:46 AM
put DVD in drive
open disk utility
select DVD session (underneath DVD)
press create new image button
select CD/DVD image
Go

Once that finishes
Select new image in disk utility
press Burn button

May not work with copy protected disks however.

arjen92
Nov 13, 2008, 04:32 AM
Just as a friendly reminder that it's illegal to copy commercial discs, and discussion of piracy is very much frowned upon on these forums.

That said, you'll often find good discussions about the technology, as long as it doesn't stray into specifics or puerile "nod and wink" stuff.

Popcorn is a compression/burning app, it won't (as you say) rip the discs, however, apps like Mac the Ripper or DVDxDV will rip DVD's to various formats, that can then be burnt onto other media (including DVD-r).

Wether they'll circumvent the newer copy-protection technology is not a subject I want to see discussed here, Copy protect is there to protect revenue, and that includes mine... :)

There are plenty of places on the 'net that'll discuss this openly, but MR ain't one of them.

For your information (I could be wrong, as I'm talking about the regulations in my country, the netherlands), you may have a copy of all your material for yourself. So whether that's a copyrighted dvd or cd. That's why (in my country) you pay a contribute when you buy a dvd/cd for the fact that you copy stuff. As long as you keep the dvd for yourself, it's absolutely legal. Why do you else think there are companies that sell these products without being taken offline.