Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickKC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I just selected "update" in itunes to upgrade my ipad to ios 5 and the "Backing up "my name" ipad..." window comes up and then the whole thing just sits there. The progress bar shows just a tiny sliver of progress after an hour.
I saw somewhere in the forums that the whole process just took just 20 minutes for someone else.

Any ideas?

The official Apple Forum says they are "Updating and they will be right back" whatever that means.

Thanks in advance!

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
When I did my iPad the installation of the new iOS5 took 60 minutes and then it restored my backup which it stated would take 11 hours. It finished in only 8.5 hours.

RickKC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Well, that's something to look forward to once I finally figure out how to first "back-up".

So now I'm trying the 3GS. But I have to spend another hour downloading ios5 again!??!!

My macbook pro is still using 10.6.8. Is that the problem?

RickKC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Same thing with the 3GS. It downloads the ios 5 and then starts to backup and then... nothing.

RickKC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Yeah, the 3GS finally did it. I think they need to update their progress bar technology!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.