Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

The Topic Schedule

Transparency: September 18-30

Soft/Sharp: October 1-14 This is an And/Or topic. Deal with the concepts of "sharp" and "soft" either separately or together. Be creative with your interpretation.

Timing: October 15-28

Dale

Oberhammer

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
KLE19AUG008.jpg

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I had to time this just right, and it took a few tries to get it just right. When the gas was on full blast, you couldn't really see the flames. So I had to wait until he turned off the gas and get the shot as they died back down.

IMG9242-XL.jpg

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
Took pictures of an Ultimate Frisbee tournament last weekend. I certainly don't have the best gear for that, but it was a great exercise in timing :)

C&C appreciated.
Ultimate Frisbee.jpg

Rich-212

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Some really great shots here. Love the one of the bird - how far away were you from the bird when you took that shot? I think my only comment is about the colour - it's a bit unfortunate that the bird blends into the background, but the detail (especially on the wing) is brilliant.

Keleko, I've been enjoying your series from the balloons, there has been some great shots. Did you actually go up on one? Would be cool to see some from up high!

On the Frisbee, I really like the composition and the way the people almost mirror each other

On mine, I think that this is the best of a bad bunch where I was trying to zoom in on runners in the recent local half marathon. I love the effect, but it was really hard to get someone's face in focus. I'd really appreciate C&C

EDIT: my attached photo seems really small - original can be seen at flickr.com/people/rtpalmi.

Attachments

• photostream.jpeg
    photostream.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 179

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Thanks! I'd like to find a way to make the background look different, but I am not that good with photoshop.

There was a bunch of birds that came and visited us one lunch break, and they seemed to be quite friendly. The photo is taken from just a couple feet away.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I post this one in honor of the upcoming Holiday...

Ah yes, timing is everything. I had to time this one very carefully. The sharp-eyed among you will be able to spot the poltergeist in the photo. It's not easy to catch them. They don't respond to bread crumbs and cookies like ducks do, so you have to catch them when they come up out of their own volition. They tend to appear on important anniversaries, so check the headstones for birth and death dates...that helps. But basically, the key is simply to be patient. I got lucky with this one. :)

PoltergeistPoser.jpg

Happy Halloween, everybody!

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Keleko, I've been enjoying your series from the balloons, there has been some great shots. Did you actually go up on one? Would be cool to see some from up high!

No, I didn't go up in one. I'm not a fan of heights, and it was kind of expensive and a long line to take any rides in one anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.