Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bellythroat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I know this is a little picky, but I'm looking for a PDF reader / note taking app that allows you to read a PDF and take notes separately, i.e. on a separate "page."

Instead of adding annotations to the PDF itself, I'd like to keep all my notes on a separate page, akin to writing notes in a notebook as you read a book. The key is to have all the notes in one place. I know iAnnotate and PDF Expert can send emails with all the annotations together, which is almost what I want - I just don't want to have to send myself an email every time I want all my notes. Also, those emails contain every annotation, including highlights and shapes. I just want notes.

Anyone know of anything? Thanks

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I don't see any way to extract just the notes of the PDF annotations. Perhaps you could ask the maker of your favorite iPad PDF tools to allow you to do that.

It would seem a .txt file with all the notes would be most useful.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I know this is a little picky, but I'm looking for a PDF reader / note taking app that allows you to read a PDF and take notes separately, i.e. on a separate "page."

Instead of adding annotations to the PDF itself, I'd like to keep all my notes on a separate page, akin to writing notes in a notebook as you read a book. The key is to have all the notes in one place. I know iAnnotate and PDF Expert can send emails with all the annotations together, which is almost what I want - I just don't want to have to send myself an email every time I want all my notes. Also, those emails contain every annotation, including highlights and shapes. I just want notes.

Anyone know of anything? Thanks

no.

use the annotations as notes. export and email to evernote or copy paste when finished.

alterrnatively, now that we have ios5 it's easy to switch btw apps. open up a note in evernote. and switch back and forth.

this is a feature i want as well, but there are painless workarounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.