PDA

View Full Version : "Syncing Genius Data" every time I sync with iTunes

swiftaw
Oct 15, 2011, 10:53 PM
It really slows down the sync process, wish it would only do it periodically.

Tsac77
Oct 17, 2011, 02:13 AM
Agreed. This never happened before ios5. Is new information being synced? And why is it always for 233 songs only (in my case)?

Does anybody know ANYTHING about this?

Agent69
Oct 17, 2011, 05:54 AM
This could come down to differences in the Music app, which replaced the iPod app.

AdeFowler
Oct 17, 2011, 06:11 AM
Same here. I rarely use it so I've now turned it off in iTunes.

Tsac77
Oct 17, 2011, 10:06 AM
I unchecked Genius in the General section of iTunes but the data still syncs with my iPhone. Is there a different way I'm supposed to turn it off?

AdeFowler
Oct 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
I unchecked Genius in the General section of iTunes but the data still syncs with my iPhone. Is there a different way I'm supposed to turn it off?

Store menu > Turn Off Genius

bewitz
Dec 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
What do you do if there isn't an option to turn off Genius? I tried one supposed fix by turning off iTunes Match, but under Store there isn't an option to turn off Genius.

michael31986
Dec 19, 2011, 07:19 PM
i turned off genius on iTunes and then deleted all the songs and resented them! no more problems! genius is the problem it has a bug i think!

alphabetagaga
Feb 10, 2012, 12:34 PM
Agreed. This never happened before ios5. Is new information being synced? And why is it always for 233 songs only (in my case)?

Does anybody know ANYTHING about this?
i'm getting this also. seems to always sync 91 songs and always the same songs. the sync completes ok (no hangs etc) but i wonder what exactly is being sync'd and why the same quantity/tunes each time?! :confused:

does not matter if genius is on or off on the left sidebar, i still get the syncs

Rantaholic
Feb 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
Same thing happens on my iPhone 3GS iOS 5 except it's always 93 songs! :)

Tubebaum
Feb 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
Sucks for you guys, it only does this for 20 songs for me.
The solution to the problem? There is none. Apple needs to hire some better developers.

aoaaron
Mar 28, 2012, 01:53 AM
so if i delete all the songs this gets solved?
how can i find out which songs? they all go fast (180 songs)

mactmaster
Mar 28, 2012, 02:50 AM
I get this for 368 songs. iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1. It must be a bug. For me it's not a big deal though it takes no more than 15 seconds to process the "Genius data"

mactmaster
Mar 28, 2012, 05:22 AM
It definitely seems like a bug in the way genius data is stored on an iOS music database.

Note that the initial genius sync could take a while so let it run once but if you keep seeing a portion of your library syncing genius data then you are experiencing the bug.

It looks like it's caused by having two or more songs with the same name in your library. They do not have to be exactly the same but one has to at least begin with the full name of the other. The songs do not have to be from the same artist. At least one of the songs needs to have genius data that is trying to sync with a device.

For example here are some of the songs that have multiple similarly named songs in my library. These will cause one of the songs in the set to have continuous genius syncing:

Novocaine for the Soul by Eels
Novocaine for the Soul (Live from Hell) by Eels
Novocaine for the Soul (Moog Cookbook Remix) by Eels

---------

Icky Thump by The White Stripes
Icky Thump (Live) by The White Stripes

---------

Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC
Shoot to Thrill (Dummy audio track I recorded and gave same name as another song)

I'll be submitting a bug detailing this. Submit duplicates of the bug so Apple will pay attention to this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note to iTunes Match users. It also appears that after an iTunes Match update (adding new music) iTunes will perform a sync of a larger section of the Genius Data information. This is likely due to the fact that iTunes Match and Genius are tied together and perhaps doing an iTunes Match update brings down slightly altered Genius Data.

rneglia
Aug 15, 2012, 07:59 AM
I get this for 368 songs. iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1. It must be a bug. For me it's not a big deal though it takes no more than 15 seconds to process the "Genius data"

Yes, I'll agree, it's not a big deal, but it is extremely annoying.

Please fix in iOS 6, Apple!

mactmaster
Aug 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
FYI This bug is fixed in iOS 6 beta 4

tunebeach
Oct 6, 2012, 10:26 PM
I do have a few songs with nearly the same title, but I'd hoped that IOS 6 would stop the continuous syncing thing. I guess it's not actually hanging, so maybe it's not the same problem others were describing, but I don't know what good it is supposed to be doing me to have this information synced at all.

rien333
Nov 2, 2012, 03:23 PM
Confirmed to be still present in iOS 6.0.1. It is pretty bad in my case, it syncs the data of about 1200 - 3100 songs, sometimes a bit more if I haven't synced in a while.

gonca
Nov 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
This is really bad I must say.

Any other way to avoid this without have to turn it off?

nigameash
Nov 15, 2012, 12:48 AM
I'm looking for a fix for this as well. Its annoying when it takes forever to sync the data for 2000+ songs.

mäcki
Nov 28, 2012, 12:50 PM
he synced 2988 Genius song informations
five minutes later next sync 1345
and i didn`t even touch the ipad meanwhile.

gonca
Nov 29, 2012, 01:51 PM
Looks like that doesn't happen in new iTunes (latest version)

Scott549
Dec 2, 2012, 05:38 PM
Looks like that doesn't happen in new iTunes (latest version)

I'm using iTunes 11. My iPod is syncing genius data. 6,970 songs. It's going to take about 20 minutes.

It's stuff like this that makes people switch to Android devices, Spotify, etc.

Edit -- might take an hour.

nigameash
Dec 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
It still happens in the latest version, I ended up turning genius off.

NewishMacGuy
Dec 4, 2012, 09:04 PM
Happening to me as well...

OS 10.8.2
iTunes 11
iPhone 4S

On first sync, updated the whole library's genius info. On second sync immediately after synced about 55% of the library. Third sync immediately after, nothing.

We'll see going forward.

UPDATE:

Next sync on 12/7, updated 50% of the library's genius info and on the sync immediately following updated 50% again.

richsadams
Jan 7, 2013, 02:32 PM
This issue was driving me a bit crazy as well. Every time I connected my iPhone 4 "Step 6 of 6" caused "Sync Genius Data" for 599 songs. It didn't take a long time, but I don't use iTunes Genius (no Genius Playlists in iTunes either) and it was annoying.

I'm running OS X v10.8.2 "Mountain Lion" and iTunes v11.0.1 using iTunes Match.

Here's how I resolved it including an odd quirk:

First I ensured that Genius was NOT turned on on my iTunes account, the iTunes app on my iMac as well as my iPhone.

Open iTunes
Under the iTunes "Store" menu I turned iTunes Match off ("Turn Genius on/off under the "Store" menu isn't an option when iTunes Match is turned on.)
Checked "Genius" status under the "Store" menu drop-down to ensure that it was not "On".
Closed iTunes
Openend iTunes
Turned iTunes Match back on and let it do its thing.
Closed iTunes
Opened iTunes and connected my iPhone.

At this point no change - Step 6 of 6 the Genius sync started again.

However, I followed the exact same steps above once more. After the second time it stopped Genius syncing. I have no idea why doing this two times worked. It might have needed to update on iTunes Match and I just didn't give it enough time.

In any case, I've reconnected my iPhone several times since then and no more Genius syncs.

I don't know if this process will work for others, but hope it helps!

Howard Brazee
Jul 6, 2014, 10:57 PM
Same here. I rarely use it so I've now turned it off in iTunes.

I don't even know what Genius does. Other than synchronize lots and lots of stuff. So I just turned it off a second ago. I suspect it has something to do with listening on-line which is something I'm not interested in doing.