Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
maybe they'll address it at ios 6 .. ios5 was notifications, ios4 was multitasking, ios 3 push notifications..

i think wifi sync is designed to be automatic, i.e., when you go to bed and plug your iphone in, it will wifi sync with your computer. Same for icloud backups.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
maybe they'll address it at ios 6 .. ios5 was notifications, ios4 was multitasking, ios 3 push notifications..

i think wifi sync is designed to be automatic, i.e., when you go to bed and plug your iphone in, it will wifi sync with your computer. Same for icloud backups.

Too bad mine has not done anything since 14 October 2011... Trying to research this now. BTW, I have made changes on my iPad so it is not like nothing has changed.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Too bad mine has not done anything since 14 October 2011... Trying to research this now. BTW, I have made changes on my iPad so it is not like nothing has changed.

Hmm that's interesting. My iPhone works fine syncing automatically to my iMac when connected to power each evening.

It is a pain though, having to go through so many steps just to sync. I think it could be made much more simple.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Hmm that's interesting. My iPhone works fine syncing automatically to my iMac when connected to power each evening.

It is a pain though, having to go through so many steps just to sync. I think it could be made much more simple.

My only guess is that it is due to my Mac Mini not being on the wi-fi network directly; it is hard wired to my home network (all same subnet). However, the manual syncs work perfectly.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
My only guess is that it is due to my Mac Mini not being on the wi-fi network directly; it is hard wired to my home network (all same subnet). However, the manual syncs work perfectly.
Can you wifi sync it at all? I'd be interested to kmow if hard wired ethernet works, because when the desktop goes to sleep, it will not wake up to do the sync (at least mine does not). If it is hard wired then maybe the wake on network access thing works. Does it? If you can't get the wireless sync to work at all, make sure you're signed on to exactly the same apple id name, and remember to press apply when you click the checkbox in iTunes.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Can you wifi sync it at all? I'd be interested to kmow if hard wired ethernet works, because when the desktop goes to sleep, it will not wake up to do the sync (at least mine does not). If it is hard wired then maybe the wake on network access thing works. Does it? If you can't get the wireless sync to work at all, make sure you're signed on to exactly the same apple id name, and remember to press apply when you click the checkbox in iTunes.

I can wifi sync manually when I select the button on my iPhone or iPad. However, it will not do it automatically when plugged into a power source.

BTW, my Mac Mini doesn't go to sleep. It is my media hub and it is configured to always be on.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Make sure you've got the "Sync this iPhone over wifi" (or something to that extent) checkbox checked in iTunes. You will have to wire connect your phone to see that option. Mine was unchecked by default.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Make sure you've got the "Sync this iPhone over wifi" (or something to that extent) checkbox checked in iTunes. You will have to wire connect your phone to see that option. Mine was unchecked by default.

I have everything configured correctly based on what I have read on the Internet. It just won't work automatically.

Aflatminer

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
I have everything configured correctly based on what I have read on the Internet. It just won't work automatically.

Yeah, I am having the same issue. My Mac will show my iPhone in iTunes when both are on wifi regardless of whether or not the phone is plugged into anything. When this happens I can manually initiate a wireless sync either from the phone or Itunes even when the phone is not charging.

However, sometimes iTunes seems to lose track of the phone and they will not synch wirelessly if my phone is not listed under devices, or the mac will go to sleep and manually syncing from the phone results in me being told that it is waiting for the mac to be "ready."

Also, the automatic iCloud backups don't see to be occurring either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.