Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ukwildcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
I was under the assumption that iCloud would update apps across devices if you updated the app in just one device. I have automatic downloading turned on in the app store for my pad and iPhone, but the apps aren't automatically updating. Do I need to do something special with iTunes on my iMac? Or was I wrong in assuming apps automatically update when I update on one device? TIA.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I was under the assumption that iCloud would update apps across devices if you updated the app in just one device. I have automatic downloading turned on in the app store for my pad and iPhone, but the apps aren't automatically updating. Do I need to do something special with iTunes on my iMac? Or was I wrong in assuming apps automatically update when I update on one device? TIA.

No.

If you download an app on a device it will download to the others. Updates do not cross devices.

ukwildcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
No.

If you download an app on a device it will download to the others. Updates do not cross devices.

Thanks. I find it odd, though, that updates don't occur as well. Hopefully that changes with a software update.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
I found it very odd, so much so that I assumed I was doing something wrong. By the way, also excluded seems to be podcasts and iTunes U that are purchased from iTunes. All this means is that you're still doing a lot of synchronizing to your main computer. Hopefully updates will enhance the iCloud features.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
what would be nice is if Apps just updated themselves automatically when you are connected to wifi, either when an update is pushed to the device or at scheduled intervals.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
That is a really great idea actually. Push updates would be very nice. I get sick of checking for updates every day.

biver

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
It's now possible for Jailbreakers to Auto Update Apps

Check out "Auto App Updater" on the ModMyI.com repo.

It does exactly that! I just installed it and it's perfect. For those of you that are worried that it's a bad idea to update apps without making sure they don't have "major bugs" should turn off auto updates for your mission critical apps in the settings. Problem solved.

http://modmyi.com/content/10439-auto...C+Homepage+All)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.