PDA

View Full Version : My macbook air 2011 Battery health 93% ?

Derpao
Oct 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have got my macbook air 2011 128 ssd 13 inc about 2 mounts

My Battery cycles now is 65

and my battery health went down to 93%

Should I worry about it ?

If,yes Can I replace it to Apple ?

Thank a lot

simsaladimbamba
Oct 16, 2011, 12:14 PM
Have you calibrated it yet?

Be sure to read the following:

Derpao
Oct 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
Have you calibrated it yet?

Be sure to read the following:

Yes, I did it yesterday

:confused:

IngerMan
Oct 16, 2011, 12:19 PM
I have got my macbook air 2011 128 ssd 13 inc about 2 mounts

My Battery cycles now is 65

and my battery health went down to 93%

Should I worry about it ?

If,yes Can I replace it to Apple ?

Thank a lot

I would not worry about it. It will vary on it's health status. The battery is supposed to be good for 1,000 cycles. If it drops below 80% before 800 cycles then you may have something.

Also Apple can replace your battery with a new one for just over $100. But I doubt you will need to worry about that for another 800+ cycles.

Derpao
Oct 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
I would not worry about it. It will vary on it's health status. The battery is supposed to be good for 1,000 cycles. If it drops below 80% before 800 cycles then you may have something.

Also Apple can replace your battery with a new one for just over $100. But I doubt you will need to worry about that for another 800+ cycles.

lol, Thank a lot, let's see how another 800+ cycles would be
Thank

Chipg
Oct 16, 2011, 03:52 PM

Apple said for the 2011 Air it's 750 cycles.

simsaladimbamba
Oct 16, 2011, 03:56 PM

Where does it say this?

GGJstudios
Oct 16, 2011, 03:59 PM
Not true. Read the Battery FAQ. The 750 cycles refers to Airs prior to Late 2010.

Chipg
Oct 16, 2011, 05:06 PM
Not true. Read the Battery FAQ. The 750 cycles refers to Airs prior to Late 2010.

Yea, I guess your correct, right when the new Air was launched Apple left the old battery info on their website, it has now been updated and changed, sorry for any confusion.

halledise
Oct 16, 2011, 06:10 PM
if you're battery carks it within the warranty period, I'd say that Apple will either replace it free of charge or at least pro rata the cost of replacement.

as someone's already mentioned, we're only talking a hundred bucks.

"AppleCare WILL, however, extend the defective battery replacement period from 1 to 3 years"

and if you don't get a reasonable number of cycles before its capacity drops below 80% then there's a good chance it could be seen as 'defective'

NDDL05
Oct 16, 2011, 06:59 PM
Mine is at 95% after 9 cycles. Also can't seem to get more than 5 hours out of it with just browsing (flash blocked). Using the 13" btw. Guess I'll see what happens down the road.

liynus
Oct 19, 2011, 01:41 AM
I think there are a lot of issues with the new MBA. It has the worse battery life out of all my previous Macs, even when I'm using it lightly. There is something either wrong with Lion or the way they built the 2011 MBAs. I waited for 10.7.2 to make it better, but it really hasn't. The rapid usage of battery is why your battery health has deteriorated so quickly, I go through 1 cycle in about 4.5 hrs. NOT the 7 hours they advertise. This is all just browsing with some background apps. There is very long thread on the apple support boards about the MBPs and Lion and horrible battery life.

So here are my specs:
i7 core 13" MBA 2011 4GB RAM 256 SSD - after 10.7.2 upgrade

Some battery stats (typical browsing, word running in background, mail up)
13:00 59%
13:46 42%
14:07 34%

This would just net me 4.5 hours total.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3410788

matixryder
Oct 19, 2011, 02:52 AM
This is a noob question, but how do you guys know what is your battery cycle?

Adidas Addict
Oct 19, 2011, 03:16 AM

I use iStat pro, but you can use coconut battery if you prefer.

Husky1992
Aug 23, 2012, 09:41 AM
I'm at 92.6% health with only 31 cylcles and 4.3 month. Is it ok?

p.s. my mbp does NOT have 4 month, I think it's under 2...why is that showing up?

GGJstudios
Aug 23, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm at 92.6% health with only 31 cylcles and 4.3 month. Is it ok?
It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

jmgregory1
Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
I'm at 90% with 168 cycles. Was at 94% for quite a while, but has dropped down to the 89% to 91% range lately. I'm not worried - more concerned about getting 7+ hours of daily use out of it, especially while traveling. Fluctuations in percentage of health don't mean much until you get to 80%, when you'll start to see real time use negatively effected.

Cynicalone
Aug 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
I'm a heavy battery user. After a little over a year my battery capacity floats between 88 and 92%.

It will be interesting to see in the next year or so as I get closer to 700 cycles how it holds up. My older laptops tended to get new batteries in year 2, but if Apple is correct and I can get 1000 cycles out of this battery then I may never need a new battery.

BigMcGuire
Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 AM

You can use apps to do this or you can use the Apple OS. How? Click the Apple symbol on the top right --> About This Mac ---> More Info... ---> System Report --> Power on the left and look under: Health Information.

----------

$100 for a new battery isn't bad at all... I've used mine for 7 months and I'm at 96.9% health and 26 cycles, so I may never need a new battery either (I tend to buy new computers every 3-5 years). Interesting.

calvol
Aug 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
My 2010 13 Air is 93%/265cycles after 18 mos. I run it off AC when possible and drain battery once month, and keep it topped off and shutdown at night. Going for 5 years.

macmastersam
Aug 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
Have you let the battery get through a full cycle yet? if not, I would suggest letting your battery run a full cycle at least once every month to help retain the health of it.

GGJstudios
Aug 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
Have you let the battery get through a full cycle yet? if not, I would suggest letting your battery run a full cycle at least once every month to help retain the health of it.
If they run on battery for a few hours every few days as recommended in the Battery FAQ, they'll average more than one cycle per month.

macmastersam
Aug 23, 2012, 10:52 AM
If they run on battery for a few hours every few days as recommended in the Battery FAQ, they'll average more than one cycle per month.

well that's even better then :D

BigMcGuire
Aug 23, 2012, 11:13 AM
I keep having the little devil on my shoulder telling me that I'll get 100% battery health if I drain my Air's battery down to 0 and back up. lol. Hard to get out of the old Ni-CD/Ni-MH days...

Blackberryroid
Aug 26, 2012, 03:50 AM

What counts as a "Cycle" anyway? What is a "Cycle" and how do you know you'll get one?

GGJstudios
Aug 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
What counts as a "Cycle" anyway? What is a "Cycle" and how do you know you'll get one?
Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ I posted earlier.

kooskoos1814
Aug 31, 2012, 11:15 AM
92% after 69 cycles and about 4 months having it. Not very impressed (it's the third MBA I own and definitely the one that dropped the fastest).

I tried to reset PRAM but didn't succeed, is it working on 2011 MBA ?

I'll let it drain completely and charge it to 100% a couple of times to see if it gets better...

GGJstudios
Aug 31, 2012, 11:19 AM
92% after 69 cycles and about 4 months having it.
It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
I tried to reset PRAM but didn't succeed, is it working on 2011 MBA ?
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help.
I'll let it drain completely and charge it to 100% a couple of times to see if it gets better...
There is no need to fully drain and recharge your battery. It will not affect the health and will only use up cycles needlessly. If you think by doing so you're calibrating (that isn't the way to do it, anyway), the built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

BigMcGuire
Aug 31, 2012, 06:30 PM
My Macbook Air 2011 13' is pretty new. I've had it since April 2012. Anyway, it fluctuates between 94% and 98% up and down no matter what I do. Seriously, no matter what I do. I can drain it to 50%, charge it back up, keep it plugged in and it will fluctuate from 94% to 98%.

Now? I got rid of the battery % indicator and just started using my laptop not giving a **** about what the battery health and just enjoying my laptop.

A month of practicing this and I can finally enjoy my laptop. I don't feel like I'm murdering baby kittens every time I use my laptop when it isn't plugged in and I can focus more on reading, writing, and doing.

93%? I'd be cool with that. If you're checking it every day you should see it fluctuate throughout the week. Once I left my laptop in my trunk and it got warm and the battery said 99% - was happy for a day. lol. If it was like 85% I'd be worried for a new laptop. But anything north of 90% it can't be bad.

$100 to replace the battery? I don't worry anymore about the battery. I'm going to USE the laptop and enjoy it. (Yes, I paid Dell $140+ for 85wh batteries back in the day so $100 is nothing...).

The reality is, after 5 months of usage .... I have 28 cycles - I'll be buying a new Macbook before this battery is anywhere NEAR 80% and 1000 cycles.

----------

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help.

There is no need to fully drain and recharge your battery. It will not affect the health and will only use up cycles needlessly. If you think by doing so you're calibrating (that isn't the way to do it, anyway), the built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

People need to listen to this guy.... Lithium Ion Batteries do NOT need discharged below 50% and they do not need calibration. They do need "exercised" to keep things going. If this is news then do yourself a favor and google: Battery University Lithium Ion Battery. Here's the link: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries