PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT GET Arkon's Universal Tablet Car Mount

StoneSoup
Oct 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
Pictures are enough, but with $50, I thought I was getting a bargain, compared to the other tablet mount companies.

Anyhow, after a couple weeks, this thing is no longer usable. The darn mount doesn't even secure steadily in place, so instead of a solid tablet, the thing rotates like crazy like a merry go round.

It says in the back that Patent is Pending, but patent for what? for suckiness?
Terrible, terrible mount. No thought for their customers.

Update: I actually added a video to show the flimsiness of the rotational part, but it didn't upload. Anyways, take my word that this mount was designed very poorly.

takeshi74
Oct 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
Pictures are enough, but with $50, I thought I was getting a bargain, compared to the other tablet mount companies.
Sometimes you get a bargain. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

wrinkster22
Oct 16, 2011, 08:55 PM
Have you tried calling the company? it is possible you got a lemon.

StoneSoup
Oct 16, 2011, 10:09 PM
@takeshi74 Do you think just because I paid $50 means I deserved to get a bad quality product? And not even bad quality, but unusable. Money shouldn't always dictate performance. Honda Accords are $20,000 cars but you don't hear people say "well, you get what you pay for" if they ever happen to break down. Rather, they outlast cars that are double or triple their price.

Anyways, @wrinkster22, In all honesty, I don't really care to call them again because I'm very certain that this was not a lemon, but just how the thing was manufactured. If anything, I'll call to get my money back.

Dhelsdon
Oct 17, 2011, 12:21 PM
I always go RAM (http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/AppleiPadMounts/tabid/2614/Default.aspx). For the extra 20$ you can't go wrong!

StoneSoup
Oct 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
wish i'd known that before i made the purchase :) btw, with the Arkon, the mount seemed to always shake back and forth in a steady way which sorta bothered me. how does the ram hold up as far as stillness?

Dhelsdon
Oct 18, 2011, 10:33 AM
I don't have that iPad car mount personally, but from the other RAM mounts I've used they do not shake a bit, even when inside the helicopter flying at 120 MPH and banking turns that thing holds on for dear life on my GPS!

I really like the idea of removing a bolt from the front seat, and attaching the mount that way. I can't see how that would ever be a bad thing except for if you have loads of passengers, but still it just bends out of the way. If my truck was running I'd probably buy one for my iPad 2.