PDA

View Full Version : Windows users spotlight Tiger

MacBytes
May 9, 2005, 01:59 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Windows users spotlight Tiger (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050509145955)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

DavidLeblond
May 9, 2005, 02:04 PM
Tiger, which went on sale at $199 a little more than a week ago, is for Macs only, and for recent Macs with G3, G4 or G5 chips and lots of memory, at that.

Wow these guys know how to shop for deals, don't they?

mcmav37
May 9, 2005, 02:36 PM
Wow these guys know how to shop for deals, don't they?

Well, they are a bit closer than you think if they are talking about Australian dollars (it is an australian news site). However, according to my handy currency converter widget, $129 US is still only about $160 AUS.

munkle
May 9, 2005, 02:56 PM
It's amazing what passes as journalism these days.

That article was just an ugly mess of wide sweeping statements, with no supporting evidence or hint of research.

Tiger, which went on sale at $199 a little more than a week ago, is for Macs only, and for recent Macs with G3, G4 or G5 chips and lots of memory, at that.

What counts as "recent" nowadays? Oh and 256 MB of RAM is hardly killer amounts of memory. I know you should really be looking at 512MB but Tiger will install and run on machines with 256MB of RAM. Let's see what the author makes of LongHorn requirements when it's finally released. Not a good start.

The next version of Windows, dubbed Longhorn, promises to be better but it's not due until sometime next year.

Promises to be better how? Who made this promise? And sometime next year? Is this tech writer incapable of using Google to do even the most perfunctory research.

Like previous versions of Mac OS X, Tiger doesn't crash (although individual programs may)...

Not entirely true now is it, kernal panics anyone? No OS is perfect and OSX is no exception, even if it is a heck of a lot more stable than XP (in my experience).

Spotlight gives near-instant access to any file or document on a hard disk, but is much more than just a quick-find facility.

Is the author going to finally surprise us and back up one of his comments and provide some insight??

Fast and accurate, it promises to change the way we have been using personal computers for the past two decades.

OK, now I'm excited! Tell us more oh wise one.

Hit a Spotlight button in the Mac menu bar, type what you're looking for and a dropdown menu lists everything that fits the bill.

So basically, you're just saying it as a quick-find facility then?... :rolleyes:

Honestly, what was the point of this article?

James Philp
May 9, 2005, 03:16 PM
Recent Macs? With a G3!? I'm running tiger on a 4+ year old laptop with 384 MB RAM (which I got for 10.2). Runs quicker than any other OS i have used on it.
Try Running XP on a 6+ year old computer, and XP actually run faster than 2000 etc.
This person has obviously NO experience with the Mac platform at all!
Here was me thinking that spotlight was the only thing in tiger!

Sharewaredemon
May 9, 2005, 03:37 PM
It's amazing what passes as journalism these days.

That article was just an ugly mess of wide sweeping statements, with no supporting evidence or hint of research.

Honestly, what was the point of this article?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Seriously, the article just ended. I was so confused, figured there was a page two somewhere.

mrsebastian
May 9, 2005, 05:56 PM
lol, i see my string of bitter posts continues with each story i read... ok i have one single comment for you david firth, as your article was a little out of touch with accurate information, but i get your gist. (please feel free to sing with me) my operating system is better than yours and much cheaper too, so enjoy your windows and don't worry, longhorn will be delayed again!... ok so maybe that was like four things and didn't rhyme well for singing ;)