PDA

View Full Version : Need New Case Suggestions

Gizmo22
Oct 16, 2011, 05:23 PM
Back. And forth. And back. Then forth.

That's been my state of mind between a few different book style cases over the last few days.

Currently have a smart cover from Apple that just isn't cutting it. Looking for a case that can be tossed in a messenger bag with a computer and a few other items without fear of the glass breaking or any scratches occurring.

I'm looking for a case that's bombproof and stylish, but still relatively cheap enough that it maintains resale value.

Gizmo22
Oct 16, 2011, 10:08 PM
I should have added, and will now:

I am looking for something a little more masculine that can pass in a professional business setting. I am leaning very heavily towards the Pad and Quill Contega as well as the Portenzo.

glen e
Oct 16, 2011, 10:13 PM
I should have added, and will now:

I am looking for something a little more masculine that can pass in a professional business setting. I am leaning very heavily towards the Pad and Quill Contega as well as the Portenzo.

I have owned all of the book cases: treegloo, Portenzo & P&Q. P&Q is def my fav for a boardroom setting - which is exactly where I use it. Look at their red or black one. I currently use a College unit.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/14d1514d.jpg

Long term the fieldfolio will hold better as wood gets loose.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1248908

Gizmo22
Oct 16, 2011, 10:37 PM
Any thoughts on the Contega? Leaning heavily towards leather, but the extra stand options of the Contega looks nice as I like having something like TED on while working at the desk.

glen e
Oct 16, 2011, 10:40 PM
Have not seen the contega but I have two P&Q's here and their quality is consistent...

class77
Oct 17, 2011, 12:39 AM
You might look at a Piel Frama from cases.com. The have them in all colors of leather, ostrich and croc skins. The leathers are $129 and the ostrich is $159.
Piel Frama cases (http://www.cases.com/products/Piel-Frama-531-Black-Ostrich-Magnetic-Leather-Case-for-Apple-iPad-2.html)

I have a black one on my iPad and a saddle colored on my iPad 2. They have both held up very well and have a magnetic closure to activate the sleep function on the iPad 2

docprego
Oct 17, 2011, 02:03 AM
Back. And forth. And back. Then forth.

That's been my state of mind between a few different book style cases over the last few days.

Currently have a smart cover from Apple that just isn't cutting it. Looking for a case that can be tossed in a messenger bag with a computer and a few other items without fear of the glass breaking or any scratches occurring.

I'm looking for a case that's bombproof and stylish, but still relatively cheap enough that it maintains resale value.

This one has my attention:

http://www.fieldfolio.com/

Not sure how bombproof it is and I can't find much about it except one review by TUAW which was positive. What attracts me to it is the book style case combined with a TPU frame. That's notably different than just about every other case of this style which use wood for the frame.

There is a thread started on this board about it with a few people awaiting delivery. We should have some impressions and photos soon.

Dhelsdon
Oct 17, 2011, 11:42 AM
Can anyone chime in on the dodo case, I've heard mixed things. I am also in the same boat. I like the look of them both but not sure which way to go.. Fieldfolio is probably at the bottom of my list because of the elastics, unless that's been addressed I just don't see how that can hold the iPad securely for long periods of time.

glen e
Oct 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
Can anyone chime in on the dodo case, I've heard mixed things. I am also in the same boat. I like the look of them both but not sure which way to go.. Fieldfolio is probably at the bottom of my list because of the elastics, unless that's been addressed I just don't see how that can hold the iPad securely for long periods of time.

elastic?

none on fieldfolio

Dhelsdon
Oct 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
elastic?

none on fieldfolio

Oh, was that the portenzio case then.. I forget now :confused:

glen e
Oct 17, 2011, 12:20 PM
Oh, was that the portenzio case then.. I forget now :confused:

the following are a plywood frame:
portenzo
treegloo
P&Q
dodocase

elastic:
bookbook

TPU frame:
fieldfolio

max pl
Oct 17, 2011, 12:48 PM
STM Skinny.

1. Has smartcover.
2. Has Multiple Stand Positions.
3. The Bezel is not covered.
4. Low Cost
5. Nice cloth interior is not abrasive on the iPad.
6. Lightweight. Does not include plywood/wood like many of these other silly overpriced cases. Why on earth would you want a case made of wood? Think about it.

There are likely a few cases like the STM Skinny but at the price, the quality and features cannot be beat.

glen e
Oct 17, 2011, 01:19 PM
STM Skinny.

1. Has smartcover.
2. Has Multiple Stand Positions.
3. The Bezel is not covered.
4. Low Cost
5. Nice cloth interior is not abrasive on the iPad.
6. Lightweight. Does not include plywood/wood like many of these other silly overpriced cases. Why on earth would you want a case made of wood? Think about it.

There are likely a few cases like the STM Skinny but at the price, the quality and features cannot be beat.

ugly attaching corners.......some of us are looking for a more expensive case for high end business situations that keep the ipad in a stealth mode...go find another case thread....

.think about it

max pl
Oct 17, 2011, 01:30 PM
he listed he wants something thats cheap, and i offered something thats cheap with many functions.
youre business case is not suited for his needs nor is it "stealth" as it has a border of wood around the bezel, creating a double bezel like look that is not stylish at all.

good job with the reading comprehension though.

glen e
Oct 17, 2011, 01:39 PM
read the 2nd post from the OP, son.....

stevep
Oct 17, 2011, 01:47 PM
I had a look at the Skinny, but didn't like the fact that two of the iPads edges are more or less unprotected, so I went for the Switcheasy Canvas instead. Not without its own drawbacks of course, they all seem to have something wrong with them, (in this case it is a bit hard to open and close but is getting better with use, and it is very slightly heavier than some others), but it certainly gives good all round protection:
http://www.switcheasy.com/products/CANVAS_iPad2/productwindow/Black/b.jpg

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/CANVAS_iPad2/thumb/01.jpg

Some colours might be on special offer depending where you are, I got a cheap one from Play.com

max pl
Oct 17, 2011, 01:57 PM
he states he wants something more masculine.

i dont see the masculinity in a purple/tan case with a large bezel of wood. one that does not offer multiple angles for viewing in a business setting.

again, i offered my opinion on something with multiple functions/features at a great price. calling your PQ case appropriate for a business setting is subjective as imo, it has limited functionality and is all looks.

----------

I had a look at the Skinny, but didn't like the fact that two of the iPads edges are more or less unprotected, so I went for the Switcheasy Canvas instead.

yeh, the Skinny is unprotected on 3 sides, but has protection on all 4 corners which protect the sides from touching surfaces.

not the greatest protection but you have to make sacrifices for a minimalist look that exposes the beauty of the product itself.

glen e
Oct 17, 2011, 01:59 PM
my problem is you can't just promote your case and leave it at that but you feel the need to point out how other people cases are ridiculous and silly...

very immature....

max pl
Oct 17, 2011, 02:04 PM
yeh sorry, i dont mean to be rude.

no more arguments from me. :(