Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rezfamily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I am not really that savvy on where to find things and turn them on or off. How do you 1. Turn iCloud off if thats possible, 2. Sync and back up to my Mac without this iCloud. Its been a nightmare today.
First of all my contacts ( phone numbers etc ) have gone onto my wifes Iphone 4 and her contacts have now come on all my new iPhone 4s. Thats one problem and we both hate this. So we both painstakingly and in retrospect stupidly deleted each others contacts off our phones. This afternoon I also noticed that suddenly half my contacts were now missing from my phone and I had not deleted them or for that matter I had not been at home when this happened. Also half of my texts had turned into the phone numbers only that texted me and not the contacts that I had saved them to under each persons name. I guess thats because those contacts were now missing from my phone. So i retraced and looked at each text and assigned back the name to each number that texted me. I thought that this was a glitch ( WRONG obviously). That took an hour. When I got home for some reason ( perhaps walking into my home with my MAc and Wifi on ) everything that I had done to fix my contacts had reverted to the same problem and that is half the texts were missing contact names etc. My wife then tolf me sha had the same problem. PLEASE can someone HELP if they have any semblance of what I am talking about. I am going mad. I hate this "CLOUD"

churchrd

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
I think your best bet is to have separate Apple ID's. I'm pretty sure that would be the best way(and maybe the only way) to keep your contacts separate.

I'm not sure why your contacts would revert back after you fixed them. Walking into your home with you mac and wifi on, should not matter. When you edit contacts on your phone, the cloud is updated automatically. It works the other way too, if you edit contacts on your mac your phone is updated automatically.

Not sure if that's much help. Hope you get things sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.