Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
So last week i finally made the purchase of a new 13" mba to upgrade from my 2006 mbp. So far i have really enjoyed it, although it is taking time to adjust to the smaller screen. I want to protect this thing from scratches of day to day use. Whats everyones feelings on skins vs cases for it? Any recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Ok my experience with:

Cases:
I have used the Speck Clear Case. After awhile of not taking it off and cleaning the dust/dirt off it started leaving wear marks on the metal not to bad but still small little marks. It protected really well from bumps or small drops.

Zagg Clear Shield:
I love my Zagg. I used this after my MBP got some small scratches from the above case. I like the fact that nothing will get under the Zagg after it is put on. Also if I need it replaced we have a local Zagg dealer so I just pay for them to install it like $14 bucks (They do a excellent job btw) and they exchange my used old Zagg for a new shinny one.

Winner in my Book:
Zagg Invisible Shield, because one it protects from everyday scratches and small bumps, two it is easy to get replaced (Life-Time Warranty). Bad's, It doesn't protect much from big drops.

I think the best thing for daily use is Zagg + carrying case (Incase Neoprene Sleeve). Hope this helps.

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
I used a case for my 13" MBP for the last year until I just took it off. It adds a lot of weight to the laptop (enough to be very noticeable on a 4.5lb laptop). On a MacBook Air, for the 11", a case could add something like 6.6oz, which is very significant on a 2.3lb laptop.

For my wife's air, I put on an iCarbon skin, and it's awesome. It looks really nice, fits well, and protects it from scratches. It's textured, which I think adds a bit more protection than a Zagg skin, but I could be wrong.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Im thinking a skin is the way i will go to keep the slimming look of the mba and keep the weight down. It looks like it is between the iCarbon skin and Phantom Skinz

nohoch

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
I would def recommend the Zagg skin.. my only complaint is that it doesn't have a screen protector for the screen... I wish it did I can't find it anywhere.... Anywho, if your like me I bought the Macbook Air for portability and the Zagg adds nothing to the size of it at all - I have it paired with the twelve south book book for protection also..

I mostly use mine for college courses (Pre pharmacy major) so having the zagg I knew would protect it but keep it in the book book so that I would have no worries throwing it into my backpack...

The book book has two little holders for the screen that you can use to port around and use your MBA while its running, but I don't use it for that - I have those two holders for my sd card and the other for my flash drive for school - then throw my MBA in there for protection hauling from class to class and just zip it up and go - It protects it nice, and as an added bonus the book book works nice as a laptop stand in class I just sit it on top of the book book all the time and keeps from the heat on my lap.

Sorry for the rant but I would suggest the Zagg for the skin ($55.00 retail) - picked it up on ebay for around $30 and/or the book book from twelve south ($80 - pricey) if you go with a sleeve I like the book book a lot I get a lot of compliments on it and love the fact that its not noticeable (to steal)

Hope my review is helpful

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I would def recommend the Zagg skin.. my only complaint is that it doesn't have a screen protector for the screen... I wish it did I can't find it anywhere.... Anywho, if your like me I bought the Macbook Air for portability and the Zagg adds nothing to the size of it at all - I have it paired with the twelve south book book for protection also..

I mostly use mine for college courses (Pre pharmacy major) so having the zagg I knew would protect it but keep it in the book book so that I would have no worries throwing it into my backpack...

The book book has two little holders for the screen that you can use to port around and use your MBA while its running, but I don't use it for that - I have those two holders for my sd card and the other for my flash drive for school - then throw my MBA in there for protection hauling from class to class and just zip it up and go - It protects it nice, and as an added bonus the book book works nice as a laptop stand in class I just sit it on top of the book book all the time and keeps from the heat on my lap.

Sorry for the rant but I would suggest the Zagg for the skin ($55.00 retail) - picked it up on ebay for around $30 and/or the book book from twelve south ($80 - pricey) if you go with a sleeve I like the book book a lot I get a lot of compliments on it and love the fact that its not noticeable (to steal)

Hope my review is helpful

How does the zagg skin feel on the mba, like is it kind of sticky or slick?

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
I would never put a skin (clear or otherwise) on a machine that is aesthetically perfect as is ;)

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009

I know, i feel the same way as you guys. I had my 2006 mbp for almost 5 years with nothing covering up its beauty. The reason i want to cover this is because i am unsure on how long i will keep it, so i want to keep it in good condition if i do end up selling it

aery

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
Canada
I would never put a skin (clear or otherwise) on a machine that is aesthetically perfect as is ;)

While I see your point, I'm starting to want a skin just to have a different looking laptop. I'm looking into getting a GelaSkin for my 11" Air. I do want it for protection but I actually mostly want it so that my computer doesn't scream "I'm a Mac!"

When I was in first year, there were a few people with Macs, so sure, it was still "cool." I'm in fourth year now and there are way more Macs on campus than Windows machines. Seriously, everyone has one. It's just kind of boring to see sooo many glowing apples. I want something that looks a little different.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
While I see your point, I'm starting to want a skin just to have a different looking laptop. I'm looking into getting a GelaSkin for my 11" Air. I do want it for protection but I actually mostly want it so that my computer doesn't scream "I'm a Mac!"

When I was in first year, there were a few people with Macs, so sure, it was still "cool." I'm in fourth year now and there are way more Macs on campus than Windows machines. Seriously, everyone has one. It's just kind of boring to see sooo many glowing apples. I want something that looks a little different.

I felt the same way! I had a MBP when no one else had one. Now that everyone has a MBP or MBA, I felt like having a bit of a customized feel when I got my MBA. Plus, I think it adds to the look. Its still obviously a Mac without screaming it, and I get a LOT LOT LOT of compliments on it. I got a camouflage designed skin by ZaggSkins (basically a custom designed skin with a layer of Zagg InvisibleShield on top). And it covers top, bottom and palmrest (which other companies, like GelaSkins, don't cover). IMO, it works really well, absolutely no scratches, and it still holds up (its been almost a year now, and it looks brand new). Plus it adds a little grip to the laptop itself, so that its easier to hold and I dont have to worry as much that its going to slip out of my hand.

Edit: Also, an important note - the ZaggSkins are DRY installation. So there's no liquid spray/squeegee mess like with the regular Zagg InvisibleShield.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London

Yeah, how aesthetically perfect will it be when its covered in scratches and dints?

And how much will it be worth when you come to trade it in for an upgrade?

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Yeah, how aesthetically perfect will it be when its covered in scratches and dints?

And how much will it be worth when you come to trade it in for an upgrade?

while i respect the fact that many people like to keep their electronics in pristine condition for resale or whatever, do you hear yourself right now? It's not like your goal is something everyone wants to try to attain here. Some people welcome the character that comes with dings and scratches and moreover, not everyone's definition of using a laptop considers having to keep their laptop pristine for the purpose of resale. It's about being tolerant of others preferences.

nohoch

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
How does the zagg skin feel on the mba, like is it kind of sticky or slick?

The bottom can be very sticky at times i.e.: leather couches and other surfaces, but is not horrible. This is another reason I always have it resting on my book book, it doesn't stick that bad.... that is for the outside, now the inside where you are typing if your worried about the hand rest sticking to your hands while typing, I have had no problem. I would see a problem however with the trackpad part, but I opted not to put it on at the beginning so if thats what you were referring to then sry : )

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.