Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Florida
Hello. Can a Ibook connect to a VGA Monitor. is there a Plug thing included to do it. or can you only do this with an powerbook

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Yes they can (it may even come with the converter I dont know)
Remember - out of the box they external screen will only MIRROR what is on yours, thus restricting resolution and desktop space remains the same.
However, out there is a Firmware hack that allows you to have dual screens (i.e. the second display is separate and extends your desktop space), just like on a PowerBook.
Look on the Apple Website for specs like this.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
yes you can span your desktop to an external monitor straight out of the box from apple.

however, if you really want to you can DL a hack, its the screen spanning hack, you can search MR for a link. i have it and it works fine at giving you the option for a 2nd desktop. there is also a hack for scrolling on your trackpad called iscroll2.

this also works good, beware however that both of these hacks will void applecare and warranty. now if you remove them before you ever have to send your ibook in to apple for whatever reason, you will be ok as they cannot tell they were there if they are deleted.

just remember to do that or you will GET MAD :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The iBook has a mini port on the left side (the one closest to the headphone jack) for VGA output. Also included is a small adaptor that converts this into a full-size normal VGA port, so yes, you do not need to buy any extra hardware. You also do not have to install any extra software.

It should work fine with pretty much any VGA monitor, including projectors. No configuration -- you plug it in, and the computer senses the monitor and sets it up and mirrors the display onto it. To span, see the replies above.

The thing it *cannot* do is run a DVI-only monitor without additional hardware. This includes some high-end LCDs, although most of them also include VGA.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
It can display non-mirrored content to an external display, with the modification noted above, but keep in mind that the current iBooks have the slowest GPU of the Apple laptop line, and only 32 MB of VRAM. Split to two screens, that becomes 16 per. Posters here who have enabled the necessary modification have reported that the iBooks still cannot devote their entire 32MB to a single screen, in any case. Performance may be poor, and your available resolutions may be limited.

Apple also recommends that you do not operate your iBook closed (with an external screen attached). This is called clamshell mode, and the PowerBooks are designed to be operated this way, and in that case devote all 64 or 128 MB of their VRAM to the attached external screen. The iBooks apparently rely on the keyboard area for cool air induction (some have reported it as for warm air venting, but I don't know). Operating an iBook in clamshell mode will not achieve full devotion of the 32 MB VRAM to the attached monitor, and may hinder your computers ability to properly cool itself. There is a warning about this on Apple's support pages, though it doesn't specify the justification.

None of this may make the slightest difference to you, depending on your needs, but I just wanted to add this as a potentially important asterisk to James Philp's "just like on a PowerBook" line.

Of course, this could all change dramatically with any forthcoming updates.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah...works great for presentations on an LCD projector (although, without the hack, you can't use PPT's cool dual-screen mode...of course I like to take my BT mouse in hand as a remote and wander anyway :rolleyes: ), but for serious external monitor use, the iBook is not the ideal choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.