Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Hey all,

I have a 2.4 C2D macbook from late 2008, 2GB RAM. Wondering if anyone has experience with Lion and whether or not it is a good upgrade. I'd like to take advantage of iOS 5 for my iPhone, but since I use my macbook every day for work and personal use, i don't want to ruin it or have bad experiences. Any thoughts?

Also have a 2.8 iMac from late 2007 wondering for same reasons.

Thanks in advance.

rudedude

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
I have two late 2008 MacBooks; both a 2.0 C2D with 2 gigs of ram and a 2.4 C2D with 4 gigs. Both have Lion on them and they both work fine.

WinkyMacRumors

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Nacka, Sweden
Add more RAM!

Hey all,

I have a 2.4 C2D macbook from late 2008, 2GB RAM. Wondering if anyone has experience with Lion and whether or not it is a good upgrade. I'd like to take advantage of iOS 5 for my iPhone, but since I use my macbook every day for work and personal use, i don't want to ruin it or have bad experiences. Any thoughts?

Also have a 2.8 iMac from late 2007 wondering for same reasons.

Thanks in advance.

I am running Lion on a MacBook (the white one) from late 2006. I have made sure to have 4 GB of RAM firstly. But it works fine on it. So get the specs and upgrade memory on your computer first. Then upgrade.

// Winky

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
For the longest time I ran Lion on my 2.16GHz summer 2007 Macbook with 2GB ram for the longest time. It ran fine, I just added extra ram since it seemed like I needed it. It seems your computer would do a fine job running Lion, especially considering the processor is faster than mine. And the iMac is a definite yes.

I am running Lion on a MacBook (the white one) from late 2006. I have made sure to have 4 GB of RAM firstly. But it works fine on it. So get the specs and upgrade memory on your computer first. Then upgrade.

// Winky

Uh. Can't you not utilize past 3GB when you have 4GB installed?

WinkyMacRumors

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Nacka, Sweden
No, topping 3 GB - but I am dual-channeling it!

Uh. Can't you not utilize past 3GB when you have 4GB installed?

Answer: No, I cannot. But I am dual channel the memory and thous getting the benefit of the same size. But I am happy with it and Lion is running smoothly.

does anyone have any idea to why it does not acknowledge 4 GB RAM?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
It's a limit of the chipset I'm guessing. Usually Macs allow for way more memory that you would ever think you'd need at the time of purchase. It's odd that these were kind of choked at the factory.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Answer: No, I cannot. But I am dual channel the memory and thous getting the benefit of the same size. But I am happy with it and Lion is running smoothly.

does anyone have any idea to why it does not acknowledge 4 GB RAM?

Ah. Maybe I should do that then. I wonder if the performance increase from running at dual-channel memory would be worth the change from 2x1 to 2x2. And it's because of the processor. Only MacBook's with the Intel Santa Rosa line supported more than 2GB official and could unofficially support 3GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.