PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Terminal Tricks

Durandal7
Oct 8, 2002, 12:18 AM
Here's a dopey terminal trick for all you Jaguar users:
nice +20 /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

Be sure to make note of the process number so you can use the kill command later.

Hemingray
Oct 8, 2002, 01:09 AM
Cool. :) I've seen this trick floating around for awhile but never actually tried it until now. Don't really see much of a place for it in everyday computer use.

I didn't take notice of the process number, but that didn't matter much; I just launched Process Viewer and quit the one that said "ScreenSaver Engine". Seems simple enough.

cb911
Oct 8, 2002, 01:56 AM
what'd you mean dopey terminal trick? it's the best ever!! :D anyway, i'll assume your joking...

i've been using this trick for about a month now. it's awesome with a good 'Matrix' screensaver.

i never noticed the nice +20 at the start before though.

and here's another trick for you. you can change it from background to foreground: /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -foreground &

i've always wanted to have an animated desktop, so i'm in the process of making my own screensaver in Flash. it's going to be sweet!! :D :D

Rajj
Oct 8, 2002, 10:32 AM
Pretty neat....but it lags to system..... big time:mad:

Where can I get the matrix one at?

UnixMac
Oct 8, 2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by xrhajj
Pretty neat....but it lags to system..... big time:mad:

I wonder if that's graphic card related as when I launch "top" to view my cpu usage and such, it is hardly above 7% with two processors installed. I have a 32MB Radeon which is the bare minimum for Quartz Extreme. Anyone out there with 64MB Card?

gandalf55
Oct 8, 2002, 11:06 AM
what would be a good book explaining how to best use the Terminal? I mean from simple things like navigating the system dirs to advanced things. i'm afraid to screw with the Terminal too much because if I screw something up, I don't have the knowledge to un-screw what I've done.

edesignuk
Oct 8, 2002, 12:26 PM
It's actually even easier to do this little trick with Visage (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12745&db=mac), there is a simple on off button. :)

ryme4reson
Oct 8, 2002, 12:37 PM
I have a 933 Single Proc with a 64MB GForce4MX, and it shows CPU usage between .9 and 2.8% so I think it is heavily dependant on the RAM of the video card.

I also have 1.28GIGs of RAM and it shows its using 190MB of SYS RAM, not 2 much, (The terminal is using 180MB.)

edesignuk
Oct 8, 2002, 12:40 PM
ryme4reson, if your running 10.2 then it should put all the work onto the video card, that (as far as I understand) is the whole point of Quartz Extreme.

ryme4reson
Oct 8, 2002, 12:57 PM
It wont take all off CPU, but the majority will. someone with a QE based system show try this, run the command top 5 -u and it will show the top 5 by usage, and look under CPU, and I bet it will be alot higher.

In anycase, I think it is too distracting, and not really worth it, unless it was a bunch of node women pics, and then I could justify it :)

edesignuk
Oct 8, 2002, 01:05 PM
I know it won't take ALL of it, but it certainly *should* take the most part.
I *think* that this is actually a Jaguar only trick, so those with 10.1 wouldn't be able to try it and get CPU usage...which is a shame, it would have been interesting.

mac15
Oct 8, 2002, 07:21 PM
very cool, I like it

cb911
Oct 9, 2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by xrhajj

well, you can get it here: http://www.illuminex.com/software/index.html

just go down the page and get 'iX Screen Effects'. the Matrix one is Xirtam. it has to be the best out there. you can control just about all the parameters, and it even starts out with the call trace, and you can change the call trace number.:D

it is the best ever!!!:D :D

edesignuk
Oct 9, 2002, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by cb911

well, you can get it here: http://www.illuminex.com/software/index.html

THANKU! I've been after a good OSX Matrix screensaver for ages! :D

cb911
Oct 9, 2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk

THANKU! I've been after a good OSX Matrix screensaver for ages! :D

i'm glad to help. i remember when i was looking for a Matrix screensaver, i was goin' mental when i found that one.

it's just so awesome !!!!:D :D :D

eyelikeart
Oct 9, 2002, 09:29 AM
I defnitely dig the Matrix screensaver...I've been missing it ever since I moved from 9 to X...thanks! :D ;)

Mr. Anderson
Oct 9, 2002, 09:42 AM
What's the emacs game - I use to remember it and can't find it now.

D

edesignuk
Oct 9, 2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by cb911

i'm glad to help. i remember when i was looking for a Matrix screensaver, i was goin' mental when i found that one.

it's just so awesome !!!!:D :D :D
Yup, it is awsome! I've just got home and installed it, it's the best Matrix scr I've ever seen, inc. PC versions. :D