Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanuthead

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Can anyone tell me if 10.7.2 fixed the inability to use full screen apps with multiple monitors? Thanks

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Nope, this horribly broken behavior persists.

I wonder how we can get Apple's attention so we can fix this. I want to upgrade to 10.7.2 but this is the last issue that's really a showstopper for me.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

I have.. and several others I know have as well.

Either they don't care, or are really being slow and lazy about fixing it. Second point release and still nothing. Though they DID improve some things about Mission Control in .2 so maybe they're finally considering user feedback.

If anyone at Apple is reading this.. and I know you're not allowed to respond as an Apple employee... *Please* consider pushing to get this issue fixed. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is to the many users with multiple monitors. I used to love being able to simply drag a playing Quicktime video to my second monitor and hit cmd-F, then watch it there while working on the first one. Now doing that blanks the second monitor and fullscreens it on the first. This is horrid behavior.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Can anyone tell me if 10.7.2 fixed the inability to use full screen apps with multiple monitors? Thanks

You can't fix something that isn't broken.

The full screen mode does exactly what it advertised to do, make the app full screen. Use Keynote once, the app goes full screen, one screen has your presentation the other has the previous and next slides and a timer showing you the length of your presentation.

Some apps, like Pages and a few others with full screen, don't put anything in the second monitor so its blank.

Again, this is exactly how it is supposed to work.

What you and others on this thread are talking about (I assume) is the ability to keep one app in full screen mode, and then use the second monitor for something else. For this you will need to go to http://www.apple.com/feedback and let them know you want an option to check in settings that says "Allow full screen apps to only use one monitor" or whatever best describes the scenario you are after.

Basically what I am saying is the app has the choice what to do with the second screen. I too would like the option to allow full screen apps to only take up one screen.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

The full screen mode does exactly what it advertised to do, make the app full screen. Use Keynote once, the app goes full screen, one screen has your presentation the other has the previous and next slides and a timer showing you the length of your presentation.

Some apps, like Pages and a few others with full screen, don't put anything in the second monitor so its blank.

What you and others on this thread are talking about (I assume) is the ability to keep one app in full screen mode, and then use the second monitor for something else. For this you will need to go to http://www.apple.com/feedback and let them know you want an option to check in settings that says "Allow full screen apps to only use one monitor" or whatever best describes the scenario you are after.

Basically what I am saying is the app has the choice what to do with the second screen. I too would like the option to allow full screen apps to only take up one screen.

Done. As there are really only a handful of apps that know what to do with a second monitor, this seems more like a bug than a feature.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It shouldn't be hard for the OS to recognize the app isn't doing anything with the second monitor, and not take it over as well.

Quicktime has no reason to do anything else with the other monitor. Hence it should only full screen on the display it was full screened on.

Snow Leopard's behavior is correct with respect to Quicktime. Lion's is not.

I just found out Quicktime 7 still behaves correctly, so I suppose that's a workaround. But it's ridiculous that I'd need to run old software to preserve correct behavior.

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
I just sent in my feedback on this. I also cannot use full screen as I have an external monitor...

Stupid default behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.