Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
First Mac, etc. etc.

1) I imported photos and video from my iPhone 4, and it imported both into iPhoto. Is iPhoto the default handler for video? Win7 used to import them into separate picture and video folders, which I prefer. Any way to do this?

2) Is there a right-click "save as" (i.e., for pictures on the internet) corollary for Lion? If so, how do I utilize with the trackpad?

Thank you.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
2) Is there a right-click "save as" (i.e., for pictures on the internet) corollary for Lion? If so, how do I utilize with the trackpad?

Two finger tap or control-click, then the wording to save the image will be different for each browser, it should be self-evident.

rudedude

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
1: Yes both photos and videos will be imported into iPhoto by default, that's where they're stored.

2: Right click on the image and then click "save image as..." Then specify which folder you would like to save the image into.

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks, guys. I know this site probably answers the same questions over and over from noobs, so I appreciate the people who take the time to answer.

Tiki35

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
You can just copy your photos and video files into the Pictures folder and Movies folder in Finder. Then if you import them into IPhoto, you can open up Preferences in IPhoto, then Advanced, and choose to not copy them into IPhoto. You can easily change the default viewer for your movie files. I like MPlayerX.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
First Mac, etc. etc.

1) I imported photos and video from my iPhone 4, and it imported both into iPhoto. Is iPhoto the default handler for video? Win7 used to import them into separate picture and video folders, which I prefer. Any way to do this?

Thank you.

1) no Quicktime is the default video player, you can download VLC player or MPlayerX as alternatives

2) to do a right click on the trackpad you must hold the control key while you click

edit: yes iphoto is default for importing off the iphone

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
You can just copy your photos and video files into the Pictures folder and Movies folder in Finder. Then if you import them into IPhoto, you can open up Preferences in IPhoto, then Advanced, and choose to not copy them into IPhoto. You can easily change the default viewer for your movie files. I like MPlayerX.
Got it. I'm less concerned about where I view them, and more concerned about where they're stored. My preference would be to not have any videos imported into iPhoto, and just have that for pictures. I record lots of short video clips, and don't like that cluttering up the iPhoto picture organization.

Essentially, I wish there was a way to direct the import to simply import photos in iPhoto and import videos into the Movie folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.