Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
When I go to iCloud.com it takes me to the iPad site which is fine but it only gives me three options: set up iCloud account, set up find my iPhone, and get find my friends. I've done all those. How do get into the site? Thanks.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
You don't need to get to the site on the ipad (and its why apple won't let you), all the options available on the site are available via the apps on the ipad (e.g. mail, calendar, contacts etc).

The only thing I think you can do on the site but not directly on the ipad is reset photostream (although I may be wrong about that as well).

Jcoz

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
When I go to iCloud.com it takes me to the iPad site which is fine but it only gives me three options: set up iCloud account, set up find my iPhone, and get find my friends. I've done all those. How do get into the site? Thanks.

Not sure why you'd want to access iCloud website on an iOS device....All iCloud does is sync contacts, mail, calendar, and iWork docs...at least for now.

Those are all native apps on your iDevice. What did you want to do on the site?

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
Not sure why you'd want to access iCloud website on an iOS device....All iCloud does is sync contacts, mail, calendar, and iWork docs...at least for now.

Those are all native apps on your iDevice. What did you want to do on the site?

I currently don't have a Mac and I wanted to add a group to my contacts. Thanks for the responses. That all makes sense.

Heateris

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
SEPA
You don't need to get to the site on the ipad (and its why apple won't let you), all the options available on the site are available via the apps on the ipad (e.g. mail, calendar, contacts etc).

The only thing I think you can do on the site but not directly on the ipad is reset photostream (although I may be wrong about that as well).

that answers my questions, thanks.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I currently don't have a Mac and I wanted to add a group to my contacts. Thanks for the responses. That all makes sense.

You can get to the website on any computer (non iOS device) and make a contact group. Don't need a Mac.

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Not being able to sign into iCloud from mobile safari sucks and is on of the worst apple imposed restrictions ever.

What if a friend wanted to use my iOS device to check their messages or if I just forgot my iOS device one day.
I shouldn't have to setup an account on a iOS device just for temporary use.

Also, their are some settings that can only be done on the iCloud site.

We are def not living in a post pc era yet.

And don't tell me there are technical limitations - shouldn't iCloud be using HTML 5 which is compatible with mobile safari.
If gmail can do it why can't iCloud?

KeatonSmith

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Preferences

Totally agree with @lunarmac. You CAN'T access all preferences and settings from your device. Hence, in my case - junk mail filtering.

I'm pretty sure I'm a big boy and can determine the best means for accessing my iCloud features, and don't need apple regulating silly restrictions that just add unnecessary steps. Guh.

Reactions: jagooch

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I agree. I struggled to find http://www.icloud.com using my iPad and iPhone - all with no success other than install instructions. Even started a thread on this earlier. Finally realized it wasn't allowed by Apple.

HOWEVER, it works very slick on a PC. Go to iCloud.com and you get a beautiful screen with the major icons on it (mail, contacts, calendar, etc). I check my me.com email there and can do anything on my PC that I can do on the iDevices. Even had my Gmail forwarded to my iCloud mail account. Made iCloud my home screen in Firefox. Very nice.

Runner609

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
You can log in to iCloud.com by using a browser that has "desktop" mode such as skyfire or atomic.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
You can log in to iCloud.com by using a browser that has "desktop" mode such as skyfire or atomic.

This does work in theory. Though I've found the site to be, at least on my first generation iPad, extremely unstable. Causing every browser I've tried to crash when I actually attempt to do anything.

Reactions: jagooch

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
IMHO it should work by choosing a browser on iPad that allows you to change headers - for example iCab definitely allows you to change it to something that to trick iCloud.com website and think you are on Desktop.

I have not tested it so not sure it works but this technique works in most times :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, sry, I haven't read through all posts, and this was partially mentioned above..

whosthat

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
There is a way around apples restrictions!!

It is very easy to trick the icloud server just go to the App Store and download mercury web browser. It lets you pick the user agreement platform. Example... Internet explorer 8, google chrome, Firefox and the list goes on.

mripadmini

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
It is very easy to trick the icloud server just go to the App Store and download mercury web browser. It lets you pick the user agreement platform. Example... Internet explorer 8, google chrome, Firefox and the list goes on.

This solution works I've tried it and can confirm it work very well.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
This does work in theory. Though I've found the site to be, at least on my first generation iPad, extremely unstable. Causing every browser I've tried to crash when I actually attempt to do anything.
Many years later, this is still a problem. I decided to delete mail rules and junk mail filtering from my Mac and instead use the iCloud web app for those settings so that those setting work even when my Mac is turned off.

Is Mercury a good alternate browser? I need on that integrates with 1Password and I use it to log into all of my web sites.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
The reason that I'd like this is to be able to truly multitask on my iPad pro 12.9

I want to have mail open on the side, YouTube pop-out video playing in the corner, and another tab for I could (notes or calendar).

If I just go to notes, then I lose-out on having either YouTube playing or mail right where I can see it.

Taking away this restriction would allow me to get a lot closer to feel like I can use this device exclusively...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.