Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I use Pages on my iPad and take all my notes for school on it, and sync them to iCloud of course so I can access them on iCloud.com from my Macbook at home. But I go to my pages app today in class and all my pages documents disappeared! And on iCloud.com it says no documents :( Has this happened to anyone else? I don't think of anything I possibly could have done to cause this.

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The same thing happened to me this morning with all of my iCloud apps (pages, numbers and good reader). It sounds like iCloud had a problem today and deleted a bunch of iCloud files from more than one person.

I do not plan to trust iCloud till I feel more comfortable about its reliability.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
That's so lame. I saw another topic where someone lost their Numbers spreadsheets today as well. I hope this is a one time server glitch and nothing else, it's certainly hard to trust something that still seems to be unreliable.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
Me Too!

I lost numbers and pages documents and I don't know when they were lost. Upgrading to iOS 5 or installing the new iWork apps (upgrades) or in some part of the iCloud transition.

Does anyone know if the iPad docs are backed up onto a synced Mac and perhaps captured by Time Machine? I think I'll post this question elsewhere - apologies in advance to anyone who has to read it again.

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
This is not a global program.
My Pages documents, created several days ago, (created on iPad ) are alive and well on iCloud and accessible from my Mac.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
Just happened to me and I'm very frustrated. I wanted to play my xbox earlier and my son wouldn't go to sleep. I uploaded him to icloud and it didn't give me any problems. After I finished playing, I went on icloud and he was gone. I don't know what I'm going to tell my wife when she gets home in the morning.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Just happened to me and I'm very frustrated. I wanted to play my xbox earlier and my son wouldn't go to sleep. I uploaded him to icloud and it didn't give me any problems. After I finished playing, I went on icloud and he was gone. I don't know what I'm going to tell my wife when she gets home in the morning.

This is why you always backup important things to an external drive beforehand.

On a serious note, it's probably one of those server glitches that affects a "small percentage of users." Anyone check to see if people have mentioned it in the Apple Discussion forums? Oh well, I guess I'm lucky notes are something I can at least kinda get back from other people in my program.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Unfortunately this is the weak spot in iCloud currently. Apple have spent a fortune developing systems like Time Machine and Versions on Lion only to leave us completely vulnerable with iCloud. We are totally reliant on Apple never losing a document or that we won't make accidental changes. Apple needs to either build Time Machine into iCloud and it needs to find a way of allowing us to include iCloud documents in our own local backups.

The best workaround i can think of currently is to have your iOS devices set to backup to your computer rather than to iCloud.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The Moral Of The Tale

As posted above....Dont rely on iCloud yet (I wouldn't rely on it as my sole backup ever) I'm not even using it until the bugs like this are ironed out...Hopefully your documents will re-appear.

I use NAS backup, and when I do go down the iCloud road, I need more storage anyway, so for now that switch is OFF.

It does say "Your documents and data will no longer be stored on your computer" When you hit the switch. Not good enough for me I'm afraid. Servers go down, and this is new technology.

Hope you retrieve your stuff.

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Yes this happened to me in numbers last night, twice! I made a thread but nobody replied, all but one of my files open this morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.