Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Apple updated the bumper, I havent seen any threads on this so I am guessing it is pretty new. Things that I have noticed:
Better fit: there is no gap between the phone and the case. With the older model the bumper could be shifted with the phone in the case.

Better rubber not only was it tougher to get the phone in, but the rubber got tighter after the phone was put in and left alone for some time.

Bigger and better plug port. Not only was the hole enlarged for aftermarket plugs, but a piece of plastic was placed inside so there are no scratches on the metal band. This is pretty big since the majority of complaints were about this issue.

tomacwhite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
England
OOhh could you supply some photos of the new bumper? I have been so put off with buying one for my 4S since there have been complaints about colour fading, scratching the phone and other issues.

Thanks! PS What colour did you go for?

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Interesting. I just got a green bumper but don't know if it's a 're-designed' one or not. I do know that my Kensington car charger didn't fit with the bumper though.

I really like the white iPhone with green bumper combo but still undecided if I want to go no case with this iPhone or not.

CeeP

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
Just bought one from the apple store. Not sure if it's the updated one though? My box said iPhone 4 on it though. Should the new ones say 4s?

alexxa

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
even after they redesigned the bumper, it still scratches the metal band on your iphone. Thats wt i see from apple.com's reviews:(

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I had a bumper on mine for months and noticed no scratches to the band. I bought one at the apple store again this week and it fits even better on my 4s.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
even after they redesigned the bumper, it still scratches the metal band on your iphone. Thats wt i see from apple.com's reviews:(

Was wondering that.

I took some silicone, put it on a cloth, and wiped it on the interior of the bumper to make sure. Seems to be holding up well.

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
I got the iPhone 4S and a black Apple bumper case. I'm having an issue with the lock button getting pressed down by the case. It also just does not seem to "click" and have as good of a feel as the volume buttons on the side. Has anyone else had this problem or do you think I should take it back to Apple?

Also, I have tried putting the phone in a few times and wiggling the case around at the location of the lock switch, but the same issue comes up every time. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
My 2 original black bumpers for the IP4 (purchased/obtained at launch), do not fit. The issue is the silent button. The hole is cust too high.

CeeP

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
I got the iPhone 4S and a black Apple bumper case. I'm having an issue with the lock button getting pressed down by the case. It also just does not seem to "click" and have as good of a feel as the volume buttons on the side. Has anyone else had this problem or do you think I should take it back to Apple?

Also, I have tried putting the phone in a few times and wiggling the case around at the location of the lock switch, but the same issue comes up every time. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mine seems ok. Just bought it yesterday. the only issue I have is the mute button is a little hard to get to (would be nice to have the cutout centered, but I don't see that happening):

apple_bumper.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.