Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
London
I recently bought a 12" PB Combo from a local retail store. It was the rev. c 1.33ghz. An ex-display model so massively reduced. I bought it as new and checked it out, no dead pixels etc and the guys in the store said it had never even had an OS installed on it, just sat on the shelf and looked pretty. I felt that although I had comprised a little in performance I had got quite a bargain. I'm now thinking whether or not to get the Apple Care warranty but am a little put out at the cost. £279.

I paid £760 for my PB so the Apple Care is 36% of my cost. Compare that to fully loaded 17" PB costing over a £1000 more. Only 15% of cost.

Is that really fair to charge me the same to cover my Mac as someone who's buying far more expensive equipment. Surey it would cost Apple much more to repalce the parts on a top end model than my bargain basement model.

Frankly, I just can't afford it and am a little annoyed that Apple are discriminating against those with less disposable income.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Pay full retail

I have the solution!

Go back to the retailer and demand to pay the full retail amount. Give him the extra that you owe him. Then it'll only be 15 percent for you, as well!

I know, kinda crazy, but that's really what your initial question boils down to. It doesn't cost Apple any less to repair your machine because you got a deal on it.

You do have a full year to make the Applecare decision. I say, wait it out. If your new computer has no problems within the first year, chances are, any problems it does have will not be Apple's fault, anyways. Save that AppleCare money for when this one dies and you get a new one, and appreciate your current good fortune (this nice, yet inexpensive computer) as long as it lasts. :)

Good luck!

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
London
Sorry, must have worded it badly. Forget about the price I got it for.

My point was that Apple Care is the same price for a 12" PB Combo as it is for a 17" PB Super Drive 2gb RAM, 128mb Video, 100gb Hard Drive. That 17" must be nearly twice the price of the 12" Combo but cost the same in "insurance".

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Aha

Gotcha - though the blame likely falls on my current cold-infected brain. Heck if I can hold a thought right now.

Hmmmm - maybe a more business-minded person can contribute here. I'd think that, for everything but the display, the production cost for a 17 incher would be not too far off from the production cost of a 12 incher. More for the display. More for the superdrive. But just about the same for everything else (add a little more aluminum/aluminium, etc.)

Don't know. Any thoughts from anyone on *why* it makes business sense for Apple to throw all models of the same line together? Simplicity of warranty offerings?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It's probably for simplicity of marketing that Apple charges the same for AppleCare on all of the PowerBooks. Some of the components would cost about the same, such as hard drive. With the 12" Apple is getting the better deal.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
The reason is that Apple wants to profit. They are gambling that they will take in more money from people who want peace of mind, than lose money on people who's PB actually breaks (or whatever). Since the PB 12 & 15 are [by far] the most popular, they are profiting from those consumers more. They don't charge based on costs to repar it, they just want a couple hundred more hoping that your PB never has issues. The 17" costs more to repair, but is less popular, so the chances of them actually losing money is also less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.