Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pailoru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I recently bought and installed Lion for my year old Mac Desktop. The download took a really long time, and it said it was updating and restarting, but the grey screen with the apple and thinking wheel has been on the screen for over 24 hours now.
i thought this was just the restarting and starting up process, but its taking really long. i have shut off the computer and turned it on again and stil, the gey screen.

Please help.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I recently bought and installed Lion for my year old Mac Desktop. The download took a really long time, and it said it was updating and restarting, but the grey screen with the apple and thinking wheel has been on the screen for over 24 hours now.
i thought this was just the restarting and starting up process, but its taking really long. i have shut off the computer and turned it on again and stil, the gey screen.

Please help.

Restart again, when you hear the startup tone hold down the Option key and seem if it will offer the Restore volume Option, if it does reinstall Lion.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
I was having issues with a Lion install on a new 1-TB hard disk i had just installed in my 2007 Vintage model A1226 MBP. I went through several install fails until I search on "Boot loop in Lion install" and found a page that suggested resetting the PRAM. Resetting the PRAM did it for me. Install went Fine. My Boot camp partition has gon by the wayside as Apple no longer supports XP... at least in a clean install. So it is VMware Fusion for me... Can not do with out MediaMonkey. It beats Itunes as a media manager hands down!

Oh also to reset the PRAM on a laptop...

1. Shut off the machine.
2. Turn on the machine while holding down the Command-Option-P-R Keys before the grey screen appears, and continue holding them until you hear the second startup sound.
then let go of the keys...

see Support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.