Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vermillion9494

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
I recently bought a pair of Logitech S-150 speakers for my MacBook. They work fine, except I can't adjust the volume to normal levels. At the lowest system setting, one bar, the Logitech speakers sound as loud as my MacBook's speaker near its maximum volume.

I looked at the settings in the MIDI Audio Setup application and it shows that at the lowest system setting, one bar, the output is 17dB. The maximum level is 67 dB I think. This is for the Logitech Speakers. Above around 40dB the speaker volume doesn't change, so it's clear OS X Lion has an incorrect range for the speakers. For my MacBook's speakers, the range goes from -64dB to 0dB. :confused:

My question is, is there any way were I can change the range for the speakers? I want something around -20dB to say 20dB. I've looked all over the MacRumor forums and Apple's discussion boards. The Logitech website has no information and just says that drivers aren't required for the speakers. I'm thinking this is a OS X problem. Right now my solution is to manually enter a dB value for the left and right speakers each time I want to change the volume. If I use the keyboard volume controls then my options are LOUD or mute. :eek:

Thanks!

Attachments

• Audi MIDI Setup.jpg
    Audi MIDI Setup.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 238

droidski

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
Same problem with PowerPC/Leopard

I have exactly the same problem with these speakers on my G5 PowerPC. I can either have them muted or quite loud on the first bar of the onscreen volume level. A quick Google reveals the same problem on all versions of Windows too so the problem clearly lies with the design of the product - I can't believe that no-one at Logitech noticed this before embarking on production. Solution for now is to have them face down on my desk at volume level one until I can find something better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.