Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bier-meister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Anyone know how this will work?

I've my old iTunes account connected to an old email address where I have all my purchases and this is my iTunes account. I have my MobileMe account that I have been using for a number of years and this is now my iCloud account. When iTunes match is launched all my music will be associated with my iTunes account, but this is not my iCloud account. Will I be even able to use this service? Or will my iTunes account also become an iCloud account leaving me with 2?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'm wondering this as well. I'm thinking that it will match all of your non-DRM purchases with no problem and have that linked to whatever account you use Match with. I'm curious to how DRM purchases are handled. Are those going to be upgraded to the higher bit-rate and be DRM-free now?

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Not sure if there is a good way to merge the two accounts. If there is not, I would just make sure all purchased and other music is one one computer and then ditch the old iTunes account. Use the iCloud account exclusively from now on, and use iTunes match to scan all of your music giving you the rights to it on your new account.

The only exception to this is DRM music with which I have no experience. If you have DRM music can you use some sort of software to remove the DRM?

alucinari

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
iTunes Match and iCloud are completely seperate systems. Whatever Apple ID you use in the iTunes store is the one that iTunes Match will use. It does not need to be your iCloud ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.