PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MBA for Lion???

prvt.donut
Oct 18, 2011, 08:04 AM
Hi,

I have a 17" Powerbook G4 that i will be migrating from.

I love the Powerbook, but alas, the features of Lion with all the multi touch gestures and mission control are compelling me to admit it is time to move on. expecially since the powerbook has now developed 7 verticle lines.

I am looking at the 2009 2.13GHz 13" model. 2GB RAM and 128GB SSD. As these can be had for pretty cheap now!

I read that the only gesture it doesn't support is the 3 finger dragging.

I want to know how the lion experience is on this model.

Please let me know your results, is it worth getting for Lion?

If not, which older model notebook will give most of the features and a good user experience?

Airforcekid
Oct 18, 2011, 08:10 AM
On my air I only have 1gb of ram free on a clean boot other than that it's a great computer if you can live with the limited ram.

alust2013
Oct 18, 2011, 08:13 AM
I think I'd suggest an aluminum MacBook or 1st gen 13" MBP. That way it's still small and light (never had an issue carrying mine around), and those models go for pretty cheap, plus you can add more RAM and get all the multitouch features.

prvt.donut
Oct 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
If i do go 1st edition 13" MBP, Then i'll probably end up getting an SSD for it too. More fun!

But right now, I'm really looking for info on MBA and Lion.

I have seen 2009 13 inch models with 128GB SSD and 2GB for a good price, so am tempted. But want to know if i will be getting the Lion experience?

As long as it can drive 1080p via HDMI and do all the lion stuff and not be crazy on me.

I have read many people complaining of over heating...:mad:

MultiFinder17
Oct 19, 2011, 05:29 PM
If i do go 1st edition 13" MBP, Then i'll probably end up getting an SSD for it too. More fun!

But right now, I'm really looking for info on MBA and Lion.

I have seen 2009 13 inch models with 128GB SSD and 2GB for a good price, so am tempted. But want to know if i will be getting the Lion experience?

As long as it can drive 1080p via HDMI and do all the lion stuff and not be crazy on me.

I have read many people complaining of over heating...:mad:

I have a mid 2009 Air with a 120GB OWC SSD in it, and it runs Lion like a dream. It doesn't overheat any more than it did under Snow Leopard, and you still get all the nifty trackpad gestures. If you can deal with 2GB of RAM (the SSD helps swap not feel anywhere near as awful), then the 2009 Air is a wonderful, cheap, and light Lion machine!