Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biak83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
All my incoming iMessage show the wrong date stamp, it always show the year as 2042 instead of 2011. It only affects the iMessage not the SMS, I looked in the apple support discussions but there is no solution and doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. BTW, I'm on an iPhone 4 with Telus in Canada.

Any thoughts
Thanks

Last edited:

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
This may or may not help you:
I have two iPod touches that if are not used for along time set there date to 1969, Thus now I have a large amounts that were took before I was born, and with something that was not invented yet. I just manually changed the date under settings and it fixes it until the next time..

biak83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Already tried setting the date manually, didn't help, i have the calendar setup as gregorian in international, funny thing is i updated my girlfriends iPhone 4 also and she doesn't have that problem and the settings are the same but she's on Rogers. I also updated my brother's iPhone 3GS and he's with Fido and doesn't haver that problem either. If iMessages go through apple servers I'm assuming it has something to do with their servers...

here's the thread from the apple discussions:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16356575#16356575

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
are you jailbroken or have you ever jailbroken?

i'm having this problem on Rogers. I have friends on every carrier that are NOT having this problem, jailbroken or not. So its not carrier specific, nor jailbreak specific.

The reason I think I'm having this problem is because of the weird ways I've kept my texts. Or at least that's what I think

I've had an iPhone since the first iPhone in 2007. Before I got the iPhone 4, when I would upgrade the OS of my previous iPhones, I would full restore and then only replace the SMS.db file because that's all I wanted to backup.

Then when I got my iPhone 4, since there was no jailbreak at launch, I applied my pre-iPhone 4 backup to my iPhone 4. This caused my MMS on my iPhone 4 not to work because of permission problems. I have to recursively set the permissions of /var/mobile/library/sms to 777 in order to make MMS work.

I then applied this pre-5.0 iPhone 4 backup to my iPhone 4 at 5.0.

I was thinking that this weird journey of my SMSs may be the problem, but I doubt anyone else has done this as well.

If this problem is happening for people that have NEVER jailbroken, that puts me at ease and lets me blame Apple :)

btw I'm Basir in the apple thread

biak83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hi, thx for the reply, yes the phone is jailbroken but so is my girlfriend's and my brother's. I have had an iPhone since 2007 and every time a new software update is available or every time i switched to a new iPhone i've restored from backup and jailbroke it. Same goes for my girlfriend and brother.
Either something is wrong with the sms database or something with the iMessage server. i really don't want to loose my sms and setup as a new iPhone. I have way too much data there.
What i would like to understand is why is it showing the 2042 date stamp...it must of gotten it from somewhere and the issue seems to be very limited, I don't see a lot of complains on the net.
For now i've turned iMessage off until I can figure it out.

BTW...I tried replying in the apple discussions but for some reason every time I try to sign in I get an error and I don't feel like filling out the problem form apple sends me too.

Last edited:

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Well it has to be our backups because people that have this problem don't if they restore. It's only when they restore their backups does this occur.

It would be nice if we could get a solution to this problem but frankly I don't care. iMessage is only good if you don't have a texting plan. And that only to iDevice users. Since most people have texting plans, this is useless.

It offers no extra cool features like real-time location tracking (I know Find my Friends does) or sending a voice memo right from the Messages app.

It doesn't work when you're in a low-data coverage area and doesn't work if you're on a WiFi network without Internet. In both of those cases, it sends as a text message after 5 minutes of trying. Sorry, thats too long for me.

Only benefits are, you can send longer and higher quality videos (see: email) and a typing indicator (sorry, I have more important things to do than stare at that typing indicator until a text comes).

Even if this does get fixed, I'm good with texting ;)

Edit: plus I'm much more comfortable with my texts going through Rogers than Apple.

Ellie73

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
All my incoming iMessage show the wrong date stamp, it always show the year as 2042 instead of 2011. It only affects the iMessage not the SMS, I looked in the apple support discussions but there is no solution and doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. BTW, I'm on an iPhone 4 with Telus in Canada.

Any thoughts
Thanks
[doublepost=1477372296][/doublepost]
I have this problem , started today - iPhone 5 iOS 9 - incoming iMessages displaying as dated 2047 - interesting how it's 2016 ie 5 years on from these posts and the year is 5 years later 2042 now 2047.... It must be a time stamp on a server somewhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.