Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Encrypted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
So I have my new MBP and wondered, what happens if I need to restore my machine. I mean back-ups are ok, in that respect (Windows crashing and all...).

However I live in 2 different houses. Separate parents and uni, however the internet at this time sucks. I have a picture below of what came in my box? A plastic? I mean I sometimes had recovery media in my windows computers. But nothing in my MBP 15 (2011) not even an iLife disk.

561544de-a890-3036.jpg

I sell mac at alongside many other things, however all the machines I sold with snow-leopard came with 2 disk (Recovery + iLife), I have neither.

I'm well aware that, OSX lion is a download only. I am currently running 10.7.2 but I am looking to cover my back, with a cd for a fast install / restore.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
There is a thread on making a recovery disk on your computer that you can search for. You could also buy it on a USB stick for $70 (yikes) if you really wanted

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So I have my new MBP and wondered, what happens if I need to restore my machine. I mean back-ups are ok, in that respect (Windows crashing and all...).

However I live in 2 different houses. Separate parents and uni, however the internet at this time sucks. I have a picture below of what came in my box? A plastic? I mean I sometimes had recovery media in my windows computers. But nothing in my MBP 15 (2011) not even an iLife disk.

I sell mac at alongside many other things, however all the machines I sold with snow-leopard came with 2 disk (Recovery + iLife), I have neither.

I'm well aware that, OSX lion is a download only. I am currently running 10.7.2 but I am looking to cover my back, with a cd for a fast install / restore.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

read this thread for a discussion on how to make a retail dvd of lion

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1247275/

the new MBP come with a recovery partion on the harddrive if all you want is a clean install from time to time, you can also make a Flash Disk usb version of that partition that you can also do a recovery from, but they only downside to either of these is its not the full version of lion on that flash disk or patition it will allow you to re-download Lion from the boot menu, my above post is better in my opinion because it makes a bootable dvd meaning you dont need an internet connection to re-install OS X if need be

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Lion download speed?

I have a 5 Mbps Comcast connection and Lion appears it will need at least 10 hours to download. What the hell? Is this because 10.7.2 was recently released? Anyone having the same problem?

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I have a 5 Mbps Comcast connection and Lion appears it will need at least 10 hours to download. What the hell? Is this because 10.7.2 was recently released? Anyone having the same problem?

I think the mad rush for 10.7.2 should be near over. Lion OS is about 4GB in size so it might take some time to download. I have a 7.5 Mbps connection speed and it took me about 5h to download Lion.

Encrypted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Well I just downloaded a copy from a torrent, virus scanned and burnt onto a disc. It seems stupid that you don't get disks....

I have now got a 3mb download a sec. I have to update a iPad, fun!

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Well I just downloaded a copy from a torrent, virus scanned and burnt onto a disc. It seems stupid that you don't get disks....

I have now got a 3mb download a sec. I have to update a iPad, fun!

sure giving a disk is nice, but as you seen its easy to make your own

now the advantage to the way apple has it setup is if your have to do a clean install your gonna get the latest version from the app store rather than install a stock version than have to do all the updates that happened since that stock version was made

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Piracy is frowned upon here. The Lion upgrade sells for only $29.

i think the OP has lion but instead of re-downloading the installer file from the app store in order to make his install dvd, he chose to download a torrent version becasue his torrents download faster than the app store was downloading

Encrypted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Piracy is frowned upon here. The Lion upgrade sells for only $29.

I agree piracy is bad, but I paid £1500+ for my hardware. If apple gave me the option to re-download and burn myself I would have no issues.

But really a windows os, on a retail laptop would give me the option to get the disk, from the HDD for free???

There is a limit between getting good value for money, and having money to throw around.

End rant ;)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I agree piracy is bad, but I paid £1500+ for my hardware. If apple gave me the option to re-download and burn myself I would have no issues.

But really a windows os, on a retail laptop would give me the option to get the disk, from the HDD for free???

There is a limit between getting good value for money, and having money to throw around.

End rant ;)

You can redownload

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Such a U.S.-centric view; most of the world has both speed and download caps.

sorry chief i didnt know things download faster on a torrent vs the app store using the same internet connection

i get good speeds on both

for me its all about bandwith so a torrent uses up and down and the appstore is just down so its 3.7GB download a torrent could be more with the upload bandwith

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Such a U.S.-centric view; most of the world has both speed and download caps.[/QUOTE]

I have neither, at my work apartment or my home..Alice and Telekom

My Vodafone mobile does though

The appropriate statement is "my part of the works has both speed and download caps"

Encrypted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
sorry chief i didnt know things download faster on a torrent vs the app store using the same internet connection

i get good speeds on both

for me its all about bandwith so a torrent uses up and down and the appstore is just down so its 3.7GB download a torrent could be more with the upload bandwith

I will word my sentence better next time.

I downloaded at a friends house, and just set the upload speed at 0. I don't want to be in a situation where I need the internet, which would require fast internet speeds. And me having the opposite.

I pride myself on having back-ups and always having a contingency plan. In case I have made mistake. Or there is a system error. I like to be prepared. Update on a MBP 15" no issue. I mean, 10 mins in the background, and a simple restart.

If you were in my shoes and needed a fast solution to repair the mac, and could not rely on the internet for long periods of time, then what? I have just restored my friends iMac using the same technique. It took 28 Mins.. I know what I would choose.

I think paying for an OS that is pre-instaled is a load of BS if, I could have downloaded the os (rather than a torrent) I would not, get as annoyed at someones comment "...... The Lion upgrade sells for only $29". Just because I have a macbook pro, doesn't mean I will going and pay for discs and get a £300 laptop bag.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I will word my sentence better next time.

I downloaded at a friends house, and just set the upload speed at 0. I don't want to be in a situation where I need the internet, which would require fast internet speeds. And me having the opposite.

I pride myself on having back-ups and always having a contingency plan. In case I have made mistake. Or there is a system error. I like to be prepared. Update on a MBP 15" no issue. I mean, 10 mins in the background, and a simple restart.

If you were in my shoes and needed a fast solution to repair the mac, and could not rely on the internet for long periods of time, then what? I have just restored my friends iMac using the same technique. It took 28 Mins.. I know what I would choose.

I think paying for an OS that is pre-instaled is a load of BS if, I could have downloaded the os (rather than a torrent) I would not, get as annoyed at someones comment "...... The Lion upgrade sells for only $29". Just because I have a macbook pro, doesn't mean I will going and pay for discs and get a £300 laptop bag.

mine came pre-installed but i followed that link on the apple site to get my redeem code for a free copy of lion, got the code entered it on the app store a vula i was able to download the Lion installer again and make the Bootable DVD like in the link i referenced near the top of this thread.

Encrypted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah tried that of you hold the alt key I believe, it allows you to download the os. However whether you press any button on the key board, you cannot download it. If you bought the mac with a pre-installed copy of lion.

**** happens..... but I found away around this. I just have to tamper with a USB to see whether it works alongside a bootable version. ;)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Yeah tried that of you hold the alt key I believe, it allows you to download the os. However whether you press any button on the key board, you cannot download it. If you bought the mac with a pre-installed copy of lion.

**** happens..... but I found away around this. I just have to tamper with a USB to see whether it works alongside a bootable version. ;)

hey as long as you got your install dvd, thats all that matters, i wasnt harping on your for using torrents, i use them daily

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.