Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
I've hopefully just picked up an iPad 1 3G for a decent price. I wasn't sure whether to go all in for a new 2, or buy something cheaper to see if it's what I'm after, then go for the iPad 3 when it's out.

Anyway, from what I've seen on a lot of adverts, sellers are saying they are sim-locked. I was under the impression there wasn't any locks on the iPad (irrespective of country sold). Although I'm seeing that many that say "Locked to 3" or "Locked to O2" I'm worried this might not apply in the UK.

The one I'm getting specifically is 16GB 3G "locked" to 3UK. I don't have it yet otherwise I'd have just checked myself :roll eyes: but does anyone here have a definitive answer?

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
If they're selling it as "locked to 3", then it's definitely locked to Three. My iPad is locked to Three. I don't know whether they offer unlocks, you'd have to ring them up. None the less, I strongly recommend you use the Three network as they have the best 3G speeds I have seen and offer excellent data prices. This is, provided they offer good coverage for your area.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Well guess it is locked. If I put a Vodafone sim in, it just shows up no-service constantly. Same with my O2 one I use in the iPhone.

Put a Three one back in and it picks up a signal within a few seconds.

Doesn't mention any warnings in iTunes or on the iPad itself however, which I'm surprised at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.