PDA

View Full Version : Apple & Eminem settle copyright disput

MacBytes
May 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple & Eminem settle copyright disput (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050510121035)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

munkle
May 10, 2005, 11:52 AM
I wonder what figure they settled at in the end. Whatever it was, I bet it was pretty hefty. Not the cleverest of moves using the song, especially after they had already unsuccessfully sought permission. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they estimated the cost of a likely lawsuit and included it as part of the overall cost of the campaign.

PlaceofDis
May 10, 2005, 11:53 AM
i can't stand eminem, just plain annoying, but glad to see another issue resolved, there are plenty more that they have to deal with still :rolleyes:

narco
May 10, 2005, 12:00 PM
You know, I remember seeing that commercial on TV a while back. I am almost positive they used that "I'm slim shady" song, not the "lose yourself" song. I could be wrong, though -- I just remember wanting to sock that kid in the face every time it came on TV.

Fishes,
narco.

asif786
May 10, 2005, 12:17 PM
You know, I remember seeing that commercial on TV a while back. I am almost positive they used that "I'm slim shady" song, not the "lose yourself" song. I could be wrong, though -- I just remember wanting to sock that kid in the face every time it came on TV.

Fishes,
narco.

lol, i remember watching that commercial once - i agree - the lil' brat was rather annoying.

i wonder if it's normal for a company to have so many lawsuits. then again, i guess nobody can beat ms..they seem to piss everybody off!

munkle
May 10, 2005, 12:23 PM
Would the responsibility of this lawsuit lie more with Apple or the advertising agency (TBWA/Chiat/Day)?

shamino
May 10, 2005, 12:57 PM
i wonder if it's normal for a company to have so many lawsuits. then again, i guess nobody can beat ms..they seem to piss everybody off!
It's quite normal for a large/successful corporation to be in the middle of a lot of lawsuits.

Even if you do nothing wrong (which is not necessarily the case with Apple) there will always be plenty of others who want to get a piece of you. Some may be competitors, some may be disgruntled employees/customers/partners, and some may be lawyers looking for a fast buck.

The reason you hear about Apple's suits so much, and not everybody else's is that this is an Apple/Mac forum. I'm sure you'd find just as much about Microsoft or IBM or General Electric or anybody else if you spent as much time researching them.

5300cs
May 11, 2005, 12:36 AM
Even if I didn't like Apple, I'd still hate eminem. He's a frickin' tool.

A tool box, even.

840quadra
May 11, 2005, 12:49 AM
Music copywrite crap again!

Em should be happy that one of the LARGEST Mp3 player producers in the world used one of his songs to promote their Music player device. If I were Apple I would mark up the prices on Em's singles on itunes to make up for the cost.

It is funny that someone else singing your song is illegal, but it is not illegal for someone to show your product while promoting an other! Case in point, Apple Laptops used in Beepbeep.com tv ads to promote the beepbeep website.

LethalWolfe
May 11, 2005, 12:58 AM

Em should be happy that one of the LARGEST Mp3 player producers in the world used one of his songs to promote their Music player device. If I were Apple I would mark up the prices on Em's singles on itunes to make up for the cost.

Yeah, he should be thankful Apple violated his rights 'cause w/o Apple and that commercial no one would ever of heard of him...

It is funny that someone else singing your song is illegal, but it is not illegal for someone to show your product while promoting an other! Case in point, Apple Laptops used in Beepbeep.com tv ads to promote the beepbeep website.

Apple is allowing beepbeep to use its products (or they just haven't gotten around to filing the lawsuit yet).

Lethal

840quadra
May 11, 2005, 06:28 AM
Apple is allowing beepbeep to use its products (or they just haven't gotten around to filing the lawsuit yet).

Lethal

LOL

True, true!

We may see a post on that in the news section later. "Apple lawsuit against online car sales group" :eek:

BTW, Lethal, what is your avatar? I like it, and it is a mystery to me :( !

SiliconAddict
May 11, 2005, 11:36 AM

Yes. He should get down on his hands and knees and kiss Steve's feet because the iPod is what made him successful. Oh wait. Not it didn't. Well at the very least itís made him tons of more money vs. normal dist channels. Oh sorry my bad. I'm wrong. What were we talking about again? Oh ya Mac users on an ego trip. :rolleyes:

Love or hate Eminem he got to where he is through work. We aren't talking a one hit wonder boy band here. He's an arrogant *** but a certain percent of that arrogance is earned. That and the fact is Apple ripped him off. Just because heís getting free airtime isnít a freaking excuse. How many Mac users were up in arms when buymusic.com ripped off Appleís pre shadow iTunes ads and that was just copying the look of Apple. Apple is outright screwing Eminem over but since we are talking Apple all if forgiven.

moot
May 11, 2005, 11:47 AM

I don't know if you make any content yourself, but it would seriously piss me off if somebody used my stuff, especially after I said no.

LethalWolfe
May 11, 2005, 12:30 PM
BTW, Lethal, what is your avatar? I like it, and it is a mystery to me :( !

It's a picture of a waveform monitor in a dark room. A waveform monitor is used in video post production to display the white & black levels of video.

Lethal

840quadra
May 11, 2005, 11:02 PM
I don't know if you make any content yourself, but it would seriously piss me off if somebody used my stuff, especially after I said no.

Yes I do, and you are right..

My anger is not because of blind love for apple, it is out of dislike for EM. I can see how my post was taken wrong.

840quadra
May 11, 2005, 11:04 PM
What were we talking about again? Oh ya Mac users on an ego trip. :rolleyes:

Thanks I think I got the point by the first two sentences in your dig against what I said. I am sorry if you think that, but I really don't have an internet ego, so go ahead and deflate it. :D

Granted you couldn't have seen my reply to the other poster at the point you replied, but I admitted I was wrong by what I said. What else do you want from me?