Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovlovturbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
what is a good setting for importing the songs? the best for quality and space on the ipod once it is transfered over? i have been using the aac at 128kbps, is there something better that will give me as much space?

thanks

Nik

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
128 AAC will probably give you the best sound/space ratio, but then again its up to you and what sounds good to your ears, 128 just isnt cutting it anymore so im in the process of converting my stuff to at least 192AAC, not sure if i will go higher yet though

ovlovturbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
well i guess from now on i will go a little higher. thanks for the info

has anyone else got any thoughts on this?

thanks

Nik

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
AAC@128 is good enough for iTMS, and I don't disagree... :)

My three - 3 - iTMS bought songs are (protected) AAC@128...

And I rip all my CDs (own and from the public library) in AAC@128 because, as PlaceofDis said, this gives more than good enough quality for playing on my hifi using Airtunes or on my iPod mini, and at the same time there's room enough for my nearly 10.000 songs (barely) on my iBook with a 60 GB HD. ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I try to stay away from anything less than 160kbps, prefer 192. More than that, and I don't notice much improvement anyway (except on a few songs, maybe). But I don't really fret about bitrate much, since iTMS forces you to purchase at the pathetic 128kbps, and so many of my albums were ripped as different bitrate MP3s or something... it's all a mess.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
For use with an iPod I'd say AAC 128kbps is about the sweet spot. You're just not going to hear that much of a difference by going any higher under iPod using conditions, even with good headphones.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I've tried to stay standard at 128 AAC. Remember, by using mp3 at the same rate you WILL lose quality.

Also remember that if you want to subsequently up the data rate, you will have to re-import, as converting a 128 up to 192 will do absolutely nothing for the quality (it may even make it worse).

I find 128 AAC completely adequate for my tastes, I am somewhat of an audiophile, and have a pair of £120 in-ear phones for travel and £90 GRADO cans for home use. The ONLY time I have heard artifacts in music is when they have been ripped by someone else. I have an eclectic taste, with hip-hop, rock, metal, jazz and many others in my collection, but not classical (which may demand a higher rate).

Finally - Remember to check the "Use error correction when reading Audio CDs" box under importing preferences, else you may get skipping in the AAC from some older CDs (I personally didn't listen to every track while importing my library).

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yeah, why MP3? do you use a different player or something?

i don't get artifacts at 128, but the high treble (electronica, dance, etc) and the low bass (R&B and rock) get really muted, and on songs that are treble or bass heavy, the sound quality winds up muddy... Listen to an Atreyu song at 128, then at 192, and you'll hear a difference... In the former, it sounds like an unintelligible mess of cymbals and noise with a guy screaming over it, in the latter, it sounds like a guy screaming over well-defined instruments (trust me, this is an improvement). To me, the difference is like watching a low-res movie at fullscreen vs. a full-res movie at fullscreen, sure either way you can watch the movie, but it's clearer and sharper at a higher resolution.

And i don't even consider myself an audiophile... perhaps just a little more anal than most :)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I also rip at 192 MP3.
and 256 VBR MP3 for my favorite stuff.

Why MP3 you ask?
I have yet to find a CD or DVD player that can play an ACC disc.
Staying with MP3 ensures compatibility. I can burn a CD with 130 MP3's on it and take it to a party or in the car.

Admittedly, I could also take my iPod (which I sometimes do), but I don't like everyone playing DJ with my iPod. Also, I know a couple people who had their iPods dropped or stolen at parties.

Sure ACC is better at the same bitrates, but I want to keep my collection in one simple format. I have a 40gig iPod, so I am not worried about space.

Just personal taste, I guess.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I do 192/AAC and often reflect on how storage prices keep falling and falling and falling and falling ...

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
I must be tone death or something, but I rip mine at 128kps AAC. Before I switched I had all my tunes in 320kps mp3. To be quite honest, I dont hear much of a difference. Some tunes sounds much better at 128kps AAC than 320kps mp3... But again, I might be tone death.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
How do you mess with the settings on burning to a cd, I know how to change the importing rate but can't figure out the burning rate. do you need toast or a similar program?

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
rainman::|:| said:
yeah, why MP3? do you use a different player or something?

i don't get artifacts at 128, but the high treble (electronica, dance, etc) and the low bass (R&B and rock) get really muted, and on songs that are treble or bass heavy, the sound quality winds up muddy... Listen to an Atreyu song at 128, then at 192, and you'll hear a difference... In the former, it sounds like an unintelligible mess of cymbals and noise with a guy screaming over it, in the latter, it sounds like a guy screaming over well-defined instruments (trust me, this is an improvement). To me, the difference is like watching a low-res movie at fullscreen vs. a full-res movie at fullscreen, sure either way you can watch the movie, but it's clearer and sharper at a higher resolution.

And i don't even consider myself an audiophile... perhaps just a little more anal than most :)

Try Listen to Ateyu live. One of the best performances I have ever seen, twice.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
128 aac, nuff said... its a good balance between file size and quality... couple that with ROCK eq on the ipod and your good to go, at least for me... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.