Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanessa103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I installed the icloud control panel on my computer and in order to sync my calendar and contacts from outlook 2007, I have to set up my me.com email address. I tried doing that with the instructions on the apple website and I was not able to get it to work. It kept saying it could not connect to the server. Any suggestions?? I did exactly what was said from apple and I have DSL through AT&T (if that makes a difference?) Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
I installed the icloud control panel on my computer and in order to sync my calendar and contacts from outlook 2007, I have to set up my me.com email address. I tried doing that with the instructions on the apple website and I was not able to get it to work. It kept saying it could not connect to the server. Any suggestions?? I did exactly what was said from apple and I have DSL through AT&T (if that makes a difference?) Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Not sure why you can't setup your me.com email, that seemed to be about the only thing that did work with the new iCloud for me?

Dont waist your time trying to use iCloud to sync Outlook Calendar or Contacts please.

1. Use iCloud Windows App only for email, bookmarks and photostream.
  2. to sync calendar between Outlook, iPhone, iPad etc use Gmail Calendar Sync
  3. to sync contacts from Outlook 2007 to iPhone, iPad use iTunes cable or wifi sync.
Apple will fix nothing, they didn't with MobileMe Calendar Sync but strangly the Contact Sync worked?

Another Post :- https://discussions.apple.com/message/16439171#16439171

vanessa103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to get a me.com email address set up, but I am not able to get it setup in outlook 2007. I keep getting an error message that it cannot connect to server.
I will download the gmail calendar sync tonight. THank you for your help. I would like to have my calendar on my PC and my iPhone/iPad on more than just icloud.com
Thanks for your help!

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to get a me.com email address set up, but I am not able to get it setup in outlook 2007. I keep getting an error message that it cannot connect to server.
I will download the gmail calendar sync tonight. THank you for your help. I would like to have my calendar on my PC and my iPhone/iPad on more than just icloud.com
Thanks for your help!

@vanessa I had problems trying to setup my me.com email account manually in Outlook 2007 which didn't work kept getting all sorts of errors, I think the only way you can setup a me.com email account is to use iCloud Control Panel, it sets up your me.com email automatically in Outlook 2007.

vanessa103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
OK, so now I have to ask, how were you able to get the me.com email set up in outlook 2007?? When I try to click on mail in the icloud control panel, I get a message telling me that to sync contacts and calendars, I need to set up my email through outlook first. Then I am not able to set it up in outlook. I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to set it up!! :) I would just really like to have one easy way to sync contacts and calendar with my outlook.
So, on that note, I downloaded the gmail calendar sync ad my calendar is now in google, but how do I sync it with outlook and icloud?? Thank you again for your help!

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
OK, so now I have to ask, how were you able to get the me.com email set up in outlook 2007?? When I try to click on mail in the icloud control panel, I get a message telling me that to sync contacts and calendars, I need to set up my email through outlook first. Then I am not able to set it up in outlook. I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to set it up!! :) I would just really like to have one easy way to sync contacts and calendar with my outlook.
So, on that note, I downloaded the gmail calendar sync ad my calendar is now in google, but how do I sync it with outlook and icloud?? Thank you again for your help!

I don't understand that Venessa, I'll have a look later. I don't understand why iCloud control panel if forcing you to sync your contacts and calendar?

vanessa103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
It's not that it is forcing me, if I want to use iCloud control panel to sync contacts and calendars with outlook, I have to set up the email first. That is where I run into the problem because I can't get the email set up in outlook. I'm trying to do it through iCloud with outlook because I had a bunch of duplicate info when I did it through iCloud and iTunes. Hopefully that helps to explain things!

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
It's not that it is forcing me, if I want to use iCloud control panel to sync contacts and calendars with outlook, I have to set up the email first. That is where I run into the problem because I can't get the email set up in outlook. I'm trying to do it through iCloud with outlook because I had a bunch of duplicate info when I did it through iCloud and iTunes. Hopefully that helps to explain things!

Have you got any email accounts setup in outlook? If you haven't setup your gmail email in outlook 2007. :confused:

vanessa103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I don't have anything set up in outlook. I just used it for calendar and contacts. Do you think I should try setting up the gmail in outlook to see if that works? At least then I can see if it is apple or microsoft with the problem!

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
I don't have anything set up in outlook. I just used it for calendar and contacts. Do you think I should try setting up the gmail in outlook to see if that works? At least then I can see if it is apple or microsoft with the problem!

Yes setup gmail in outlook, maybe not having any email account is confusing the iCloud Control Panel. I have about 6 email accounts setup no problem.

vanessa103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
It worked! I set up my gmail and then opened the control panel and it set the email right up!! Now I just need to figure out how to get my contacts and calendar back into outlook since I got rid of it all. Thank you so much for your help!

myrealtygal

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Set Up iCloud Email with Outlook 2007

After days of research, testing, and frustration, I have successfully sync'd my @me.com email account with my Outlook 2007, here's how:

Here are the beautiful results of my afternoon with Apple Care. Now I just have to work on iCloud Contacts and Calendar with Outlook 2007!

In Outlook 2007, click on Tools/Account Settings
Click "New"
Default is Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP,
click "next"

In "Your Name", enter the name you want people to see when they receive an email from you and nothing else.
Then click the box "Manually configure server settings or additional server types"
Default is Internet E-Mail, click "next"
On the "Internet E-mail Settings" page:
In "User Information":
In "Your Name", enter the name you want people to see when they receive an email from you.
In "Email Address" Enter your @me.com email address.

In "Server Information" enter the following:
Acct Type is: IMAP (from drop down menu)
Incoming mail server: imap.mail.me.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.me.com
User Name: everything BEFORE "@me.com"
Password: your password to your @me.com email account
check "Remember password"
DO NOT check "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
Go to "More Settings"
Click "Advanced" tab
Incoming Server (IMAP) 993 Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
Outgoing server (SMTP) 587 Use the following type of encrypted connection: none
Go to "Outgoing Server" Tab:
check "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"
check "Use same settings as my incoming mail server"
Click OK
Click box: "Test Account Settings...".
You should be good to go...you may be asked to verify and "remember" your email address and password in the "test settings process".
You're welcome!:)

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
After days of research, testing, and frustration, I have successfully sync'd my @me.com email account with my Outlook 2007, here's how:

Here are the beautiful results of my afternoon with Apple Care.

Blimey ! It took all afternoon for Apple Care to talk you through above, good old Apple Care :):apple:

jakub2

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
icloud still doesnt work

have used suggestions to set up .me email in outlook it works!! however, icloud keeps saying restart outlook with active email (even though email is now active) any suggestions

schneilob

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
have used suggestions to set up .me email in outlook it works!! however, icloud keeps saying restart outlook with active email (even though email is now active) any suggestions

After trying numerous ports and changes that have been recomended both on this forum and others and after completing 'test account settings' with sucess I click next and get the message "the requested operation failed".

I'm at a loss. Please help!

chrissywms

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011

Here are the beautiful results of my afternoon with Apple Care. Now I just have to work on iCloud Contacts and Calendar with Outlook 2007!

Click "New"
click "next"

In "Your Name", enter the name you want people to see when they receive an email from you and nothing else.
Then click the box "Manually configure server settings or additional server types"
In "User Information":
In "Your Name", enter the name you want people to see when they receive an email from you.

Go to "More Settings"
Click "Advanced" tab
Click OK
You should be good to go...you may be asked to verify and "remember" your email address and password in the "test settings process".

This worked and I'm set up. The only problem I'm experiencing now is when I delete an email in Outlook, it just strikes a line through it, it does not move it to the Deleted Items folder. Any idea how to accomplish that?

rfabbre

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Outlook 2007 Setup

Click "New"
click "next"

In "User Information":

Go to "More Settings"
Click "Advanced" tab
Click OK

I did all of the above. The 993 IMAP incoming tested OK. However, the outgoing email test failed---"could not find the email server". Can you suggest another port? Or something???

Thanx Rich

rfabbre

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
I did all of the above. The 993 IMAP incoming tested OK. However, the outgoing email test failed---"could not find the email server". Can you suggest another port? Or something???

Thanx Rich

I sure does help if you use the correct SMTP address!!!:)

gsouth

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks Myrealtygirl

Myrealtygirl. Thanks so much. I have been trying for hours to get set up. I searched everywhere and by following your instructions EXACTLY, I was able to get set up.

Guys, you have to follow her directions exactly, to make it work.

Now if I can just get rid of the line through my deleted mails, I would be happy !!:)

ReturnPrivacy

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Correction! .me setup in Outlook 2007

Hi all,
The instructions posted here are correct, with the exception of the "Outgoing" server settings. The above stated to set the encryption as "none", and that won't work at all. The outgoing server settings encryption has to be set as "TLS", and then it will work fine. (everything else stated in the instructions are correct). (incoming server encryption is "SSL") I set this up in my Outlook 2007 and tested it tonight (090814)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Hi all,
The instructions posted here are correct, with the exception of the "Outgoing" server settings. The above stated to set the encryption as "none", and that won't work at all. The outgoing server settings encryption has to be set as "TLS", and then it will work fine. (everything else stated in the instructions are correct). (incoming server encryption is "SSL") I set this up in my Outlook 2007 and tested it tonight (090814)

Since Mainstream Support for Outlook 2007 ended about a year ago, this 3-year-old thread may not mean much. :rolleyes:
If it does, I have an 8-year-old DVD I'd love to sell...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.